PDA

View Full Version : 845 and a Topper?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Metzler
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Just got my bottle of Collinite 845 and plan on using it today. Has anyone tried to top it with SIGII or LS? Not sure if this will be a waste of time or not. I really want to put down WDGPS first then top it with 845 but only have a sample and I don't think this will cover a four door car.
So what does everyone do with the 845?

sohail99
12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
I also have a DGPS sample and was able to put like 3- coats of it on my hatchback!!

You have to apply it really thin. You can do1 panel with like 4-5 drops of DGPS all around an applicator pad.

845 is great as a topcoat to any sealant. and in multiple layers, it forms a great barrier to salt and snow( durability in multiple layers is great too)

Dan Metzler
12-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow three coats on your avatar? I should be good with my Dodge Charger if that's the case.
Was thinking the 845 might take away the wet look from the DGPS. The Charger is inferno red.

sohail99
12-27-2010, 09:40 AM
^Yup!!

It'll easily do close to 4 coats on your charger!! (just put on thin coats, a little really goes a long way!)

I feel 845 is mainly for those who prefer protection more than the wet(test) look (possible on their paint)

If you are winterizing, then 845 is the way to go!(in Spring, WDGPS topped up with SSII or orange crush would look soaked!)

slickooz
12-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Do you guys feel using an DA is a lot more wasteful then using the foam pads?

I have some expensive wax that I bought recently and don't want to wasteful by using an DA. I have a gallon of M26 and that I don't care for much, will prob use DA with that. But what do you guys apply expensive wax with? Hands or DA?

Black Car
12-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I got 4 coats of my WGDGPS sample on my A4. Did it by hand.

fairlady350z
12-27-2010, 11:27 AM

I have some expensive wax that I bought recently and don't want to wasteful by using an DA. I have a gallon of M26 and that I don't care for much, will prob use DA with that. But what do you guys apply expensive wax with? Hands or DA?

I prefer to buy my final step waxes in paste form and apply it by hand. I think the DA is more effective at applying wax thinner, which would cause you to use less product, as long as you don't apply too much to the pad. I just like the gratification of applying an LSP by hand.

Dan Metzler
12-27-2010, 04:13 PM
^Yup!!

It'll easily do close to 4 coats on your charger!! (just put on thin coats, a little really goes a long way!)

I feel 845 is mainly for those who prefer protection more than the wet(test) look (possible on their paint)

If you are winterizing, then 845 is the way to go!(in Spring, WDGPS topped up with SSII or orange crush would look soaked!)

Yes winterizing....a little late but car has not seen snow as of yet. Good info as I will wait till spring on the DGPS and go with the 845 now.

I love putting on the LSP with the PC using a LC HT Lo Pro 5.5" crimson pad! As mentioned in other threads, these pads do great at not soaking up product.

Rsurfer
12-27-2010, 05:55 PM

By hand no doubt. What wax do you consider expensive and what do you have?

BobbyG
12-27-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm of the exact opposite opinion.

Applying waxes and sealants with a DA polisher and the correct pad allow you to lay down the right amount of product and lay it down evenly.

By using a cross pattern I can work the wax into the paint and achieve the "thin" layer I'm looking for. This not only provide complete coverage but also won't over apply the product only to have it wiped off and discarded.

Every time I hear someone having an issue with Collinite 845 it's because someones applied to too thick and more often than not it was by hand....

All of my liquids and allot of my paste waxes are machine applied......:props:

slickooz
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah Going try using DA with the better stuff the next time I get the chance two.

The expensive wax I was talking about were Souveran, Sig II, and p21s and maybe MaxMax.

I have a gallon of M26 and bottle of NXT 2.0 that I wouldn't mind using DA.

Rsurfer
12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=slickooz;399058]The expensive wax I was talking about were Souveran, Sig II, and p21s and maybe MaxMax.
Those are med to low med waxes. Zymol and Swissvax are your higher priced waxes. That doesn't mean they will look better to you.:dblthumb2:

slickooz
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah well those wax I would prob buy when I got money but for now I consider these type of wax to be real high end compare to turtle wax :P

Rsurfer
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah well those wax I would prob buy when I got money but for now I consider these type of wax to be real high end compare to turtle wax :P
Its all in the prep my friend not the wax although I do use Vintage.

RTexasF
12-27-2010, 07:38 PM
First off the Collinite will go a GREAT deal farther than you think it will.
For lack of a better term it is a sealant/wax combination and offers the best of both sides. Personally, I see no need to top it unless you just like the look of a more "show" wax on top of the 845. Is your concern protection for the surface or just looks? Your call. Want a nice look? Stop with Collinite. Want an insane look, for a very short time? Then top it with one of the more premium waxes known for "looks", not longevity. Pick one and go for it.