PDA

View Full Version : Paint reading gauge and digital optical microscope??

Pages : [1] 2

ExoticAutoDetai
12-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Looking for one of each for a begginer at paint correction my budget is no more than $300 for the total of both together!!

dvc61
12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
From what I understand, the gauges that are in that price range are not worth the money. The readings are not accurate or consistant. This is not a tool you want to be "off" in any way. I bought a unit from promotorcar called the ETG 2. Expensive (over $ 700 to the public I believe), but easy to use and really consistant.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
From what I understand, the gauges that are in that price range are not worth the money. The readings are not accurate or consistant. This is not a tool you want to be "off" in any way. I bought a unit from promotorcar called the ETG 2. Expensive (over $ 700 to the public I believe), but easy to use and really consistant.
from what i heard and thought that the microscope would end up being more expensive than a reading gauge

what about the microscope anything comes to mind?

dvc61
12-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Just looking at the Carson website. They seem to have a decent assortment, but I have no experience with them! They seem to be pretty cheap. I'm sure someone will fill in this question soon.

agpatel
12-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Paint Meter, Paint Gauge, Paint Gage - HighLineMeter.com (http://www.highlinemeter.com/)
- good quality and detailer proven gauge.

dont know why you would need a microscope, if you are trying to find a depth of a scratch a $15-20 20x jewelers loop will work fine no need to spend money on a microscope.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Paint Meter, Paint Gauge, Paint Gage - HighLineMeter.com (http://www.highlinemeter.com/)
- good quality and detailer proven gauge.

dont know why you would need a microscope, if you are trying to find a depth of a scratch a $15-20 20x jewelers loop will work fine no need to spend money on a microscope.

well imagine trying to check the whole hood with a jewelers loop i think my eye will get tired :cry:
i found a digital optical microscope for $160 u can connect via USB and be able to use your computer to check large area of the car better :props: il post the description in a bit let me know what yall think

Lasthope05
12-27-2010, 12:18 AM
There is really no point or a real need to have a microscope. One of the few people I even hear about using a microscope is Paul Dalton and he caters to real rare exotics so giving the appearance of being high tech is a must. I would forget that and just get a highline II PTG.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-27-2010, 12:30 AM
There is really no point or a real need to have a microscope. One of the few people I even hear about using a microscope is Paul Dalton and he caters to real rare exotics so giving the appearance of being high tech is a must. I would forget that and just get a highline II PTG.

I read they don't work on fiberglass or bumper which is plastic

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

Lasthope05
12-27-2010, 12:42 AM
I read they don't work on fiberglass or bumper which is plastic

It won't but your are not going to find an ultrasonic PTG that measures all layers of paint on any material for less than $1000 used.

ExoticAutoDetai
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
It won't but your are not going to find an ultrasonic PTG that measures all layers of paint on any material for less than $1000 used.

Mmm thaxn for dat I didn't know that so that's why I seen some detailers with more than one paint gauge then so highline II ptg I will be thinking about

sohail99
12-27-2010, 02:16 AM
Anyone have any idea how Highline II is, compared to PosiTest DFT??

agpatel
12-27-2010, 08:51 AM
highline II is a good gauge, it is used by many prof detailers. For the price it holds its own against the high dollar ones.

OP, ultrasonic PTG will be hard to find for less then 900ish that is decent.

Microscope has no use, does not really give much more information than just looking at it that is really that useful to someone...only person like someone has said using one is PD, but then again he has many cool toys like a full detailing warehouse with test track.

slickooz
12-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Can we post a link from ebay? There seem to be some paint gauge they selling on ebay and I want to know someone opinion on them. some are cheap and some goes up to 400 bucks.

I'm new to detailing and would want to purchase a paint gauge reading.
And budget is kind of tight. Do I really need one for paint corrections?

sohail99
12-27-2010, 10:07 AM
^ those ebay gauges are really tempting!!

dunno about the quality but I saw them being used in the pics where rotary use was being demonstrated! (so if detailers use them, it must be reliable?) :confused:

slickooz
12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Which one did you see them using? There one on ebay for 119 model 6s that sold a lot on ebay. Do I really need one?