PDA

View Full Version : Knees??

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
12-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Hello and happy holidays! I have a question......first of all I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this one, but I don't know where else it would go so I figure this is as good of a place as any. Anyhow, I seem to be experiencing some issues with my knees and I'm fairly certain it's from being on them all the time to get to the lower part of the car. So my question is what do you guys use for your knees? Regular knee pads? Something special? Something other than knee pads? Thanks.

Flash Gordon
12-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Hello and happy holidays! I have a question......first of all I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this one, but I don't know where else it would go so I figure this is as good of a place as any. Anyhow, I seem to be experiencing some issues with my knees and I'm fairly certain it's from being on them all the time to get to the lower part of the car. So my question is what do you guys use for your knees? Regular knee pads? Something special? Something other than knee pads? Thanks.

Knee pads + a stool is a good start. If its within your budget a lift will solve all these issues

C. Charles Hahn
12-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I usually sit on a creeper seat, or use a pit mat like this:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g1028.jpg

JonMiles
12-24-2010, 11:48 PM
I have an old skateboard that I painted matte black to sit on while i'm working in low areas on the car. It is easy to move back and forth and quite comfortable.

Dubbin1
12-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I'll leave this one alone :laughing:

mcpp66
12-25-2010, 01:01 AM
I'll leave this one alone :laughing:

I was wondering how long it would take for some joker to make a crack. :haha:

Dubbin1
12-25-2010, 01:32 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for some joker to make a crack. :haha:

Had to be done ;)

LegacyGT
12-25-2010, 01:41 AM
My neighbor saw me out detailing every weekend and gave me a nice low seat on wheels, similar to the one sold at AG. I need to offer him a free detail for that ... has saved both my knees and back.

Flash Gordon
12-25-2010, 02:23 AM
All joking aside. You DO NOT want to jack up your knees. If this is causing you pain, cease and decist untill you have plan B in place ;)

oldmodman
12-25-2010, 03:06 AM
Knees, back, neck. Everything goes when you get old enough.

And that's why I bought a four post lift. It's not only great for actual mechanical work on the car, but now I have no excuse for not waxing the suspension components and the bottom of the transmission.

But seriously folks. It is great to be able to have it on the ground for the roof, hood, and trunk. The raise it up for the top of the doors, then raise it higher for the bottom of the doors.

C. Charles Hahn
12-25-2010, 03:08 AM
All joking aside. You DO NOT want to jack up your knees. If this is causing you pain, cease and decist untill you have plan B in place ;)

Knees CAN be replaced, you know....

A4 1.8tqm
12-25-2010, 06:16 AM
How about a lift? I want one bad but cannot justify the cost at all. Surely cheaper than knee surgery though!

There's lots to choose from. Link to a quick Google search's result for an example- ACLifts Automotive Parking Lifts - ACS-7 (http://www.aclifts.com/parking/qmr6-midrise.asp)

vet
12-25-2010, 08:55 AM
There are numerous seats out there for detailing, and other seats for different applications, at varying price levels. I'm using a mechanics seat on wheels I got on sale at Sears, and it works for me.
I'd love to have a lift, but can't justify the cost, and the garage isn't set up for detailing anyway.
By the way, knees can be replaced, but it's very expensive, and the therepy to make them work like they're supposed to is quite painful, and there are limits to what you can do after. Wifey had both of hers replaced, and no, it was detailing that wrecked them, lol.

skipper1
12-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I have knee problems too and I use a cheap mechanics stool from Walmart, $25.00. It works OK but this is what I think I'm going to get.

Amazon.com: tailbone creeper (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tailbone+creeper&sprefix=tailbone+creeper)

DaHen
12-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I have knee problems too and I use a cheap mechanics stool from Walmart, $25.00. It works OK but this is what I think I'm going to get.

Amazon.com: tailbone creeper (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tailbone+creeper&sprefix=tailbone+creeper)

That tailbone creeper looks like it would work. Think the kids would have fun with it and wear it out though. lol