PDA

View Full Version : Question...detailing franchising...

silverfox
12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
With automobiles being the second largest investment most people will ever make...coupled with the fact that we love our cars in this country, I've often wondered why there are a lack of car detailing franchises.

I understand that its not an easy business for individuals to excel in, which makes it even more "ripe" for a successful franchiser (with a national reputation)...to start a few up. Just like a McDonald's - this entity would offer state-of-the-art training for its franchisees. I'm not talking about body shops per say (painting, sanding,etc) because they are all over the place (most of them bad by the way)...but more in line with offering the guy with a daily driver, or a person with a car or truck they want somebody to maintain for them on a semi-regular basis....in other words...volume detailing, but with the highest quality products at detail prices that the average person is willing to pay.

Especially here in the North East...my goodness, our machines take a hell of a beating with the long winters, and cold temperatures. Maybe I'm getting old, but it seems to me a great opportunity waiting.

If you check the local Craigs List and papers, its full of individuals trying to get their feet wet in the business...they have heart, ambition, and probably some skills...but that's not enough in most cases. A reputable detailing franchise that does EXCELLENT volume detailing (and some "special" cases thrown in) could be profitable thing.

It makes me sick to see filthy, salty cars lined up around the corner waiting to get into the local laser wash...and getting ripped off, and maybe even having their cars compromised because those places are probably stripping any kind of protection off the car...and as we all know, just putting high pressure on a car DOESN'T clean it...and these places are making money hand over fist basically taking the public for a ride.

....just sayin'....(yeah, I know there are probably a million reasons)....but I see an opportunity, especially in the NorthEast.

Flash Gordon
12-24-2010, 12:36 PM
In theory your idea sounds great. But this business is a complete diffrent monster then serving burgers, donuts or coffee :cheers:

Mike Phillips
12-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I've interacted with a few franchises and there's good points and less good points about detailing franchiese...

The biggest problem I see with a franchise for detailing is that usually the overhead is really high not including whatever it costs to purchase the franchise, so you have to thing to pay for...

Cost of franchise
Normal overhead associated with owning a detail business

This tends to cause most detailers to become focused on production detailing, (nothing wrong with this), as it simply becomes a numbers game... you need a certain amount of cars to go through the shop in order to pay all the monthlies.

Interestingly, most, not all, but most of the best detailers I've known are mobile just due to the costs of overhead and the desire to keep as much of the profit as possible from your hard work.

I tell people on the hone all the time that some of the best detailers in the industry when tit comes to the paint polishing are mobile.

When it comes to a Franchise, it's vitally important that the paint care products work as in all cases I've seen you're trapped into using the products manufactured or sold by the Franchise. The good news is that new and better technology is continually being introduced.

:)

01MUSSL
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
In my opinion: We as individual detailers have heart for our work. When you begin to expand, much of that passion is lost by hiring people who don't share it with you. Don't get me wrong, a franchise sounds interesting, but imagine how low the prices would need to be to attract clients.

C. Charles Hahn
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
You're talking about a chain like Ziebart... and as far as I've seen I wouldn't ever let them touch a vehicle of mine. They do have their own branded products, but they don't seem to have standards regarding how those products are used to produce results.

rakkvet
12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
In my opinion: We as individual detailers have heart for our work. When you begin to expand, much of that passion is lost by hiring people who don't share it with you. Don't get me wrong, a franchise sounds interesting, but imagine how low the prices would need to be to attract clients.

I agree. While I think we can pass on our skills to employee's not everyone has the heart, drive or passion to do it well.

Back to the OP's original question. Yeah, a detailing franchise can and does work. I think there are easier ways to make money though.

Tim

silverfox
12-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input. I will say that with the advent of new technology...its not as hard as it was in the "old days" to get show car results with little experience. The new products and polishing machines have allowed even newbies to learn how to get professional results. With professional training (and a professorial support staff and products backing them) I think most guys and gals that love cars...could be successful franchisees.

Think about it...car dealers don't want to detail cars. Body shops want the "big ticket" type stuff (insurance claims, collision jobs etc)...they aren't interested in detailing for the average car owner. Repair shops are too busy. Car wash places are ripping people off, and yet people are more than willing to give them their money.

Mike mentioned that mobile detailers are usually the most successful because they don't have the overhead of having to maintain a building (utilities, taxes, etc)...but I'm willing to bet that people would come from miles around to get their cars detailed by a reputable, national or regional professional detailing business.

I think the "if you build it, they will come" mentality would work. OK...enough of my dreaming....(field of dreams is my signature picture, and its my way of living life)...