PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Gloves for Winter Washing?

SlamMan
12-22-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm going to try rinseless washing in my garage, but if my car becomes too dirty for rinseless, I'd like to be able to do a regular wash on a warmer day. I thought some waterproof gloves might be a great way to accomplish this without freezing my fingers off. Does anyone have a pair of gloves they use or can suggest? Something with a gauntlet would be great. Some long, heavy duty, janitorial gloves might do the trick but some insulated waterproof gloves would be better.

agpatel
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
I fill my bucket with warm/hot water so my hand stay warm during that then for drying i usually wear my winter gloves then latex gloves (xl size) over them and rubber band the long cuff to prevent water from coming in when drying.

Lasthope05
12-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I fill my bucket with warm/hot water so my hand stay warm during that then for drying i usually wear my winter gloves then latex gloves (xl size) over them and rubber band the long cuff to prevent water from coming in when drying.

+1

I pretty much do the same but I use those cheapie $1 winter gloves underneath as they are much thinner and my nitril gloves can fit right over them.

dougaross
12-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I just use nitrile gloves with warm water.

jsgntulok
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Check at a military surplus store for "chem warfare" gloves. Several years ago I purchased several pairs of these very durable gloves. They fit a bit large so there is room to wear insulating cotton, silk, or microfiber gloves inside the gloves. The gloves come nearly to my elbow (I have a 37" sleeve length). I love them and have never experienced cold hands when washing my cars in cold weather while using cold water.

Old Tiger
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
A friend of mine got Divers Gloves like worn with a wet suit. Seems like it would be the Daddy Rabbit! OTOH IM a wimp and drive through a touchless and then into my insulated garage. close the door, turn on space heater and return an hour or so later with a bucket of warm water to mix with ONR. I prefer my method!

Jeff120
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I got at pair at home depot for about 5 bucks, length is about mid forearm. They are red, called something like gorilla gloves? Used them last weekend to wash, worked well and they are also lined to help keep your hands warm.

WJave
12-22-2010, 11:03 PM
The old kitchen/dish washing gloves work good too.

D_Nyholm
12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I too use warm water in the bucket. Just clean the wheels with a Speedmaster brush so you dont have to touch the cold wheels too much. Then touch them up with your sponge or whatever you use. Then cleaning the body isn't too bad since you are constantly dunking your hands in the warm water. THe only thing i've ever been worried about is the warm water going over a 35* car. Is there any chance of the windows cracking or anything like that? I've been doing it for years, but when it is really cold, i dont use super warm water. I've actually had to run inside a few times to get a full bucket of warm water to get the ice off the car! :) That is not fun as afterwards, you can't roll your windows down as they are most lilkely frozen! :(

Wendell Jarvis
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine got Divers Gloves like worn with a wet suit. Seems like it would be the Daddy Rabbit! OTOH IM a wimp and drive through a touchless and then into my insulated garage. close the door, turn on space heater and return an hour or so later with a bucket of warm water to mix with ONR. I prefer my method!

There is the correct answer..you can get them in thermal also........:iagree:

BobbyG
12-23-2010, 12:33 PM
I think it's safe to say all of us that live in the arctic use warm water and that's very important in dissolving all the crap throughout the winter. It also keeps our hands from freezing! :props:

For gloves I picked up a pair of mid-forearm length that are coated with a blue rubberized coating. They're water proof and comfortable. If I remember correctly I picked them up at Walmart for about $6.00 and they work great...