PDA

View Full Version : Detailing with minor paint defects

GaDetailDoc
12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Mike,

I used UC to work a small area (penny size) on hood...Kinda hazy as I did it by hand just to see if bird dropping mark could be improved. Need to remove haze and swirl marks. Any ideas?? (imola red paint on BMW 330i). Had some suggestions by some other members and also talked to Meguiar, but I want your opinion before attempting fix.

Mike Phillips
12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Mike,

I used UC to work a small area (penny size) on hood...Kinda hazy as I did it by hand just to see if bird dropping mark could be improved. Need to remove haze and swirl marks. Any ideas?? (imola red paint on BMW 330i).

Working by hand on small areas to remove isolated defects works well because you can exert a lot of force to a small area whereas with a machine you have the entire face of your buffing pad working on the paint.

That said, after you remove the defects, it's fastest to now smooth the area over by machine polishing to remove any dulling or Fingermarks you instilled in the process.

Do you have any type of machine polisher?

:)

GaDetailDoc
12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I just ordered the kit below. I want to be absolutely sure that my hood gets back its original state and with a pop. The Meguiar Tech help was a little snippy when I told him I purchased a Meguiar kit which included a FLEX 3401 along with CCS pads. He cut me short and I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.

BobbyG
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I just ordered the kit below. I want to be absolutely sure that my hood gets back its original state and with a pop. The Meguiar Tech help was a little snippy when I told him I purchased a Meguiar kit which included a FLEX 3401 along with CCS pads. He cut me short and I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.

I can understand why a Meguiar's tech would be somewhat less than enthusiastic due to most of the products you purchased were not Meguiar's. That said, he's actually done Meguiar's a disservice by leaving a bad taste in your mouth, something you'll remember and share with others like you've done here.

In hindsight what he should have done is spend all of 3 minutes chatting with you making recommendation and answering your questions thus leaving you with a positive experience.

It doesn't hurt talking about your competition because it also give you a chance to convert someone to being a future customer. :props:

GaDetailDoc
12-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I can understand why a Meguiar's tech would be somewhat less than enthusiastic due to most of the products you purchased were not Meguiar's. That said, he's actually done Meguiar's a disservice by leaving a bad taste in your mouth, something you'll remember and share with others like you've done here.

In hindsight what he should have done is spend all of 3 minutes chatting with you making recommendation and answering your questions thus leaving you with a positive experience.

It doesn't hurt talking about your competition because it also give you a chance to convert someone to being a future customer. :props:
Many of us on the board continue to experiment and use a variety of products without having as much bias as is present on the Meguiar Board...Heck, we can all learn something from one another. One of the complaints from customers on their board is the multitude of products with overalpping features (ie. SwirlX, UC etc...).

Mike Phillips
12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
When the kit arrives you can easily restore a uniform, clear, defect-free finish using the M105 and M205 to your BMW.

Probably the M105 with a polishing pad on speed 4 to 5 will take any residual scratches out without flinching and then re-polishing using the M205 and a polishing pad.

Using a clean, soft foam applicator pad like these, CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/red-ccs-applicators.html) and a light touch you should be able to restore a clear finish by hand using UC.

See this article,

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

The key is after removing the defects to go back over the area with fresh product and a light touch and smooth the area over carefully and gently.

GaDetailDoc
12-22-2010, 03:39 PM
When the kit arrives you can easily restore a uniform, clear, defect-free finish using the M105 and M205 to your BMW.

Probably the M105 with a polishing pad on speed 4 to 5 will take any residual scratches out without flinching and then re-polishing using the M205 and a polishing pad.

Using a clean, soft foam applicator pad like these, CCS Red Wax/Sealant Applicator Pads 2 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/red-ccs-applicators.html) and a light touch you should be able to restore a clear finish by hand using UC.

See this article,

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/26612-how-use-hand-applied-abrasive-polish-paint-cleaner-hand.html)

The key is after removing the defects to go back over the area with fresh product and a light touch and smooth the area over carefully and gently.

I do not have any significant defects in the paint elsewhere on the hood. I am afraid the M105 is going to be a bit too aggressive at introducing unnecessary swirls and abrasive marks. This has been my concern from the beginning. For this reason, I have backed off from further treatment until I used UC a few days ago.

Mike Phillips
12-22-2010, 05:38 PM

I do not have any significant defects in the paint elsewhere on the hood. I am afraid the M105 is going to be a bit too aggressive at introducing unnecessary swirls and abrasive marks. This has been my concern from the beginning. For this reason, I have backed off from further treatment until I used UC a few days ago.

M105 is really a safe product to use, the abrasive technology Meguiar's introduced in all their SMAT products is truly amazing when it comes to working on clear coats finishes.

With SMAT product you only have to work the product as long as needed and you can stop anytime during the application process. You can vary the aggressiveness or NON-aggressiveness of the pad and the process. Process - how you apply it, by hand or machine and if by machine the type of machine.

Probably one of the most fun parts of teaching a class on detailing is demonstrating products on black paint live in front of 60 eyeballs and the only way you can do this is if you have confidence in the product and I never hesitate to demonstrate M105 or UC on black paint in front of people.

Just like any product though... work clean, clean paint, clean applicator pad or buffing pad, clean microfiber towels, clean hands...

This is a really long article with my comments on official company statements and directions, but you might find it interesting, it's probably the most detailed summary anywhere of the SMAT products...

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html)

You can find the above and more in my article list under,

Compounds - Polishes - Paint Cleaners - Cleaner/Polishes - Pure Polishes - Glazes

GaDetailDoc
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks Mike.

BobbyG
12-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Many of us on the board continue to experiment and use a variety of products without having as much bias as is present on the Meguiar Board...Heck, we can all learn something from one another. One of the complaints from customers on their board is the multitude of products with overalpping features (ie. SwirlX, UC etc...).

I agree and feel it safe to say that none of us use only 1 like of products...I know I don't