PDA

View Full Version : Bird Dropping Cleanup

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polishing Compound on a size of a penny to clean bird dropping. I was able to get most of the minor etching out by hand. Now that area looks dull. My Flex 3401 with M105/M205 should arrive by Thursday. What would be a good follow-up to bring the luster back. It is a BMW 330i with IMOLA RED. Paint is in excellent/ showroom condition (5years old and always garaged stored) with the exception of the Bird Dropping on my hood. I used some Mothers sealant to cover up the dull look for the time being. I am going to polish the entire hood for the first time. From what I can tell, the paint is tough.

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 09:19 PM
M105 an 205 will work just fine-great products. What pads are you getting?

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
M105 an 205 will work just fine-great products. What pads are you getting?

The dreaded CCS orange pads. This comes in the Meguiar FLEX 3401 kit. I do have some flat orange pads from Griot's garage, which I am considering to use. Any suggestions?

dougaross
12-21-2010, 09:41 PM
It seems that 205 with white or gray pad should do the job.

Rsurfer
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
If the area looks dull after using UC you may have a problem. Hope you didn't rub too hard and gone through the clear.

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
It seems that 205 with white or gray pad should do the job.
I am afraid that I do not have any white or grey pad yet..This is the kit that I ordered. Like I said, I have been using Griot stuff and simply not impressed with their polishes. You know the black pads almost look grey in the kit...Is this what you are referring to?

file:///C:/Users/Anthony/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 09:52 PM
You can use the orange with the 205 or 105 depending on how the paint cleans up an then use the black with 205. It should finish out pretty nicely. LC orange and 105 by itself finishes pretty nice anyway and you won't have much further to go after that. What gg pads do you gave are they cutting or finishing pads?

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
If the area looks dull after using UC you may have a problem. Hope you didn't rub too hard and gone through the clear.

I was careful that is why I decided to work the area by hand firts. I know that BWM paints are generally tough so I am confident that it will buff well with the flex. Just did not want to waste my time by using the Griot random orbital polisher.

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 09:58 PM
You can use the orange with the 205 or 105 depending on how the paint cleans up an then use the black with 205. It should finish out pretty nicely. LC orange and 105 by itself finishes pretty nice anyway and you won't have much further to go after that. What gg pads do you gave are they cutting or finishing pads?

They have the one Orange pad only, which is used for both cutting and polishing ($9.99 each).

Rsurfer
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM

I was careful that is why I decided to work the area by hand firts. I know that BWM paints are generally tough so I am confident that it will buff well with the flex. Just did not want to waste my time by using the Griot random orbital polisher.
The reason I said that was because I've used UC by hand many times and never got a dull finish. Someone on a forum did Scratch X by hand and went through the clear and UC is more aggressive. Hope you didn't rub your baby too hard.

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
The reason I said that was because I've used UC by hand many times and never got a dull finish. Someone on a forum did Scratch X by hand and went through the clear and UC is more aggressive. Hope you didn't rub your baby too hard.
I hope and pray too!...Mike Stoops from Meguiar (technical advisor) advised me to use their UC product and indicated that I ought to add some muscle and stop. I just feathered the area around the dropping with little or no pressure (resulting in a dull appearance) . I only applied some pressure on the actual penny size area where the dropping resided.

Crazy Amos
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM

They have the one Orange pad only, which is used for both cutting and polishing ($9.99 each).

I would stick with the orange LC for your cutting. Try the 205 with the orange first an if it doesn't cut it switch to the 105. Then go back over with black LC or the orange gg pad tou have double check and see if it is the equivalent to the lc white -once you have your pad use 205 to finish it out. Then seal with a wax or sealant. I think you will be fine with what you have-the four pads wouldn't be enough for the whole car but for the hood it will be fine. Hope this helps.

GaDetailDoc
12-21-2010, 11:35 PM
I would stick with the orange LC for your cutting. Try the 205 with the orange first an if it doesn't cut it switch to the 105. Then go back over with black LC or the orange gg pad tou have double check and see if it is the equivalent to the lc white -once you have your pad use 205 to finish it out. Then seal with a wax or sealant. I think you will be fine with what you have-the four pads wouldn't be enough for the whole car but for the hood it will be fine. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot when my order arrives on Thursday.