PDA

View Full Version : You sure you can use DG #501 on automotive finishes?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PBoy
12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Wished Duragloss would say that anywhere in their advertisement

(yes I know it says for any painted surfaces)

Old Tiger
12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I believe it is like 105 except with more abrasives. I love it on my chrome rims. Dont see why it wouldnt be paiint safe, especially on a harder clearcoat.

PBoy
12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I guess it wouldn't make sense for them to include "auto"s in their #501 description since they offer an automotive line and the product is marketed towards Marine/RV consumers :confused:

RTexasF
12-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I've done many vehicles with #501 including both of ours. Think of it as Klasse AIO at a reduced price. It has more chemical cleaning agents (not abrasive) but leaves sealant behind. #105 has less cleaning agents but more sealant. Both clean the surface but #501 simply has more cleaning power. Use it with confidence, it's a great product.

PBoy
12-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Wonder why DG doesn't have a more aggressive polish in their automotive line???

Jeff120
12-21-2010, 09:30 PM
So this product does have abrasives in it? Its really an AIO like XMT 360? So many products!)(@!(#)*(*!@(*#(*!#@

dougaross
12-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I've done many vehicles with #501 including both of ours. Think of it as Klasse AIO at a reduced price. It has more chemical cleaning agents (not abrasive) but leaves sealant behind. #105 has less cleaning agents but more sealant. Both clean the surface but #501 simply has more cleaning power. Use it with confidence, it's a great product.
I have talked to Duragloss support and they say it diminishing abrasives. I have used it on my white Audi with DG601. It comes out great.

RTexasF
12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
And when I spoke with them I was told no abrasives! They make great products but their lineup and poor choice of wording (they are all labeled polish and seems that they are all AIO's of one type or another) still confuses. Not to mention different stories about the contents depending on who you speak with. Perhaps someone at Autogeek can contact them and get definitive answers on this line of "polishes" that really aren't?

Whatever they choose to call them I have never been disappointed in any of their products. #501, #105, and Aquawax are mainstays for me.

rwright
12-22-2010, 01:51 PM
And when I spoke with them I was told no abrasives! They make great products but their lineup and poor choice of wording (they are all labeled polish and seems that they are all AIO's of one type or another) still confuses. Not to mention different stories about the contents depending on who you speak with. Perhaps someone at Autogeek can contact them and get definitive answers on this line of "polishes" that really aren't?

Whatever they choose to call them I have never been disappointed in any of their products. #501, #105, and Aquawax are mainstays for me.

Call and speak with Jerry. I had a conversation with him about this specific product and his words exactly "You can polish your car with it everyday and not worry about removing paint". If you want to flash the sealant properties in it, use #601 first or mixed at 1:4. :)

dougaross
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Great products, but really annoying not to be able get straight answer from manufacturer.

PBoy
12-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Great products, but really annoying not to be able get straight answer from manufacturer.

Yeah, never read to many negative reviews of any DG products.

I've read they are very easy to use too.

RTexasF
12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Call and speak with Jerry. I had a conversation with him about this specific product and his words exactly "You can polish your car with it everyday and not worry about removing paint". If you want to flash the sealant properties in it, use #601 first or mixed at 1:4.

That statement alone says "no abrasives" to me.

Either way #501 is indeed fine for painted surfaces such as cars. I also use it on my painted (white) urethane bumper cover to remove bug guts that I didn't get to soon enough with Poorboy's Bug Squash. It works every time.

RTexasF
12-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Here's one (of many) previous 501 discussions I found using search:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/14557-duragloss-501-marine-rv-polish.html

PBoy
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Here's one (of many) previous 501 discussions I found using search:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/14557-duragloss-501-marine-rv-polish.html

Thanks for that link.

I'd like to try a combo with 501 & four-star-ultimate-spray-wax-plus.

Four Star Ultimate Spray Wax Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-ultimate-spray-wax-plus.html)

rwright
12-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Call and speak with Jerry. I had a conversation with him about this specific product and his words exactly "You can polish your car with it everyday and not worry about removing paint". If you want to flash the sealant properties in it, use #601 first or mixed at 1:4. :)

I just want to add one thing, the mixture was actually created by Richy and confirmed by Jerry @ Duragloss.