PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Polish - cutting power.

Pages : [1] 2

supercharged
12-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Optimum Polish, new formula, what's cutting power on that polish? Is it more like a finishing polish, SSR1, XMT1, or more aggressive like XMT2, SSR2?

Thanks in advance.

justin_murphy
12-11-2006, 06:43 AM
It's really pad dependant. You can make it a polish or give it some cut with pad choice. I'd compare it more to XMT#2 but maybe just a little weaker. Finishes off easy with a nice slick finish. Very sun and hear friendly too.

chu
12-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I haven't used anything else to compare it to, but I did a black car in pretty bad condition, and didn't need to touch the compound. I would say 3M rubbing minus 1. So good!

ltoman
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
It's really pad dependant. You can make it a polish or give it some cut with pad choice. I'd compare it more to XMT#2 but maybe just a little weaker. Finishes off easy with a nice slick finish. Very sun and hear friendly too.

Question for you guys: Many recommended I switch from XMT to OHC for the vette's tough clear coat. I have it now, although I have not tried it on the vette; does this mean to say I bought the equivalent from a different brand?
(Actually, it worked well on a Saturn when mixed with XMT 3, but I was playing and so I can't tell which one was really better - and of course I have been advised NOT to do that (mixing) again! Thoughts?:confused:

ryandamartini
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Question for you guys: Many recommended I switch from XMT to OHC for the vette's tough clear coat. I have it now, although I have not tried it on the vette; does this mean to say I bought the equivalent from a different brand?
(Actually, it worked well on a Saturn when mixed with XMT 3, but I was playing and so I can't tell which one was really better - and of course I have been advised NOT to do that (mixing) again! Thoughts?:confused:

Like I had posted before, you may use it no problem, however it would have a strenuous worktime, and the Porter Cable isnt powerful enough to break down OHC to its FUL EXTENT, yet it will however leave some results.

ScottB
12-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I gotta agree with Justin, pad choice can make any polish lighter or heavier to a degree. I would put Optimum on a playing field with SSR 2.0 and XMT 2 as closest competitors.

dengood1
12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I gotta agree with Justin, pad choice can make any polish lighter or heavier to a degree. I would put Optimum on a playing field with SSR 2.0 and XMT 2 as closest competitors.
What about OC? What's the cut? I've got both.....tremendous work time! Takes a while to break down, but it does so with no dust and finishes down pretty fine. And both polish and compound is pad specific for cut.

Copied and pasted from AG's pages:

Optimum says their compound can be used at any speed on your polisher and with a wool or foam pad. When using a wool buffing pad, the compound will remove 1200 sand scratches and lighter at 1000-1400 RPM. Faster buffing speed is not needed with this product. When using a medium or heavy cut foam pad, the compound will remove 1500 sand scratches and lighter at 1000-1400 RPM. The compound works more or less aggressively depending on the pad you choose. If necessary, follow up with Optimum Polish to refine the paint surface before applying Optimum Wax. All Optimum products meet VOC regulations.

Nuke33
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Is Optimum a good starter polish becasue that is what i have, i was going to use it with lc orange pad to get the spider webing our and swirls... should i use a finishing pad insteed?

ltoman
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Okay, I think I should trade the OHC and polish off. Guys? Should I?

MikeyC
12-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Lauren,

I hope I can shed some light on things for you. Optimum makes 3 levels of polish they are called (from lightest cut to heaviest cut):

-Optimum Polish
-Optimum Compound
-Optimum Hyper Compound

To understand how abrasive these polishes are I'll relate them to the XMT line which you have already used. Optimum Polish's abrasive level as already mentioned is somewhere between XMT #1 & #2. Optimum Compound's abrasive level is about the same as XMT #3. Optimum Hyper Compound does not have an XMT equivalent and is more abrasive than XMT #3.

The OHC you bought is definitely more abrasive than the XMT #3 you already have. So, if the #3 didn't make a dent in your swirls then go ahead and try the OHC you bought.

supercharged
12-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks, guys.

ltoman
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Lauren,

I hope I can shed some light on things for you. Optimum makes 3 levels of polish they are called (from lightest cut to heaviest cut):

-Optimum Polish
-Optimum Compound
-Optimum Hyper Compound

To understand how abrasive these polishes are I'll relate them to the XMT line which you have already used. Optimum Polish's abrasive level as already mentioned is somewhere between XMT #1 & #2. Optimum Compound's abrasive level is about the same as XMT #3. Optimum Hyper Compound does not have an XMT equivalent and is more abrasive than XMT #3.

The OHC you bought is definitely more abrasive than the XMT #3 you already have. So, if the #3 didn't make a dent in your swirls then go ahead and try the OHC you bought.

Thank you - that was very clear and concise. Now I've got it. I think now it is worth my keeping. MUCH appreciated!
Blessings,
Lauren -- you rock!Im the MAN :awesome: :)

ltoman
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
What about OC? What's the cut? I've got both.....tremendous work time! Takes a while to break down, but it does so with no dust and finishes down pretty fine. And both polish and compound is pad specific for cut.

Copied and pasted from AG's pages:

Optimum says their compound can be used at any speed on your polisher and with a wool or foam pad. When using a wool buffing pad, the compound will remove 1200 sand scratches and lighter at 1000-1400 RPM. Faster buffing speed is not needed with this product. When using a medium or heavy cut foam pad, the compound will remove 1500 sand scratches and lighter at 1000-1400 RPM. The compound works more or less aggressively depending on the pad you choose. If necessary, follow up with Optimum Polish to refine the paint surface before applying Optimum Wax. All Optimum products meet VOC regulations.

How much longer would you say it takes per area?

dengood1
12-12-2006, 12:52 PM
How much longer would you say it takes per area?

I've never timed it Lauren, but I'd say you can work it in about 30-50% longer. You'll see it getting clear and really "fine" when it's finally broken down.

Surfer
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I have the old version of OP and it's great, the new one has more bite. You can use it to do some correcting work witha cutting pad yet it will finish down like a finishing polish w/o a final polishing pad. Heck, I used OC and a yellow edge cutting pad and got no marring, then I went over the whole truck with the blue edge pad :righton:. Next time I'll try it on the white finishing pad to see if there is a difference. I just love how neither dust and have long working times.