PDA

View Full Version : Most Foolproof Sealant/Wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

NoleFan
12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey guys and gals,
After spending most of the day doing interior/exterior cleaning and sealant (EX-P) on my MIL's white Honda Pilot, I decided I better get on here and get some ideas from all of you.

I already have a very bad habit of applying too much product, but on white (as I have a white truck also) I am even worse.

What is the easiest to use sealant/wax wise for someone that applys too much product without streaking or dusting? I had some bad streaking on the hood. That is where I started, and I am sure I applied way too much.

I have thought about Megs 21 as I have read it is purple? I figured that tint would be just a tad easier to see, and that it is very forgiving.

Feed back please

Dubbin1
12-20-2010, 08:01 PM
My #1 choice would be Ultima Paint Guard Plus and a close 2nd would be Optimum Opti-Seal. Those are about a fool proof as it gets.

snowking724
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Any Wipe On/Wipe Off or Wipe On/Walk Away product should do, they are all very user friendly.

zliegen
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Megs 21 is pretty foolproof IMO, I like it. I've heard some users say that like Megs 20 which has a light paint cleaner in it, I'm not sure if its abrasive or not but it has me interested.

dougaross
12-20-2010, 08:32 PM
3M Performance Finish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-performance-finish.html) is as easy as it gets. Literally Wipe on wipe off, no waiting for haze.

Dubbin1
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
3M Performance Finish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-performance-finish.html) is as easy as it gets. Literally Wipe on wipe off, no waiting for haze.

Both Ultima and Optimum are wipe on walk away, I would says that easier ;)

FRC Z51
12-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Why don't you just apply less? lol

On topic, try Rejex. I found it to be extremely user friendly.

C. Charles Hahn
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Megs 21 is pretty foolproof IMO, I like it. I've heard some users say that like Megs 20 which has a light paint cleaner in it, I'm not sure if its abrasive or not but it has me interested.

#20 is not mechanically abrasive, but it does have some very mild chemical "cleaners" in it. The only thing I can say bad about it is that I have had it stain plastic trim white before. Past that, it's always been my go-to sealant to get me through the winter months. I just make sure to mask trim before applying it now.

jlb85
12-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Spray sealant/wax would be even easier!

Of the few I have tried I like Wolfgang 3.0. When I have a ultra soft black car or I just don't want to deal with it I reach for the Wolfgang. It looks every as good as any of the currently more popular sealants, and since it is so easy I "would" apply more frequently. Of course my car gets washed more than it gets driven, and this year has had only Supernatural rubbed into it, but last year... ;)

Applying less when working by hand is like a leap of faith. I also have trouble applying too much. So I opted to apply sealants by machine. Much thinner and even coverage, and in most cases easier to see where you have applied since it is a large, more even pattern. And in reality, it is less work and less pain on the bones. Let the PC do the work ;)

Any sealant will be fine, but let me be the first to not recommend Klasse if you want something easy to use. I love KAIO and I swear I could detail an entire car (inside and out, engine bay, wheels) with it, but it is not the easiest to get off the paint. I met a guy who has been using KAIO for about 10 years (or more), and he loves it. His cars look great, always. I asked him what his process was, and his removal of Klasse involved spraying with QD first, then trying to wipe. He though this was just the way Klasse was, its modus operandi.

I gave him a sample of Blackfire. He said there is no way something that comes off that easy can be protecting the paint, and continues to use his Klasse. Cars still look awesome ;)

ScottB
12-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Spray waxes are quite easy and user friendly. Most seem to work just as well on damp paint meaning less steps.

MFE
12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Optimum Opti-seal for sure

Joe in PA
12-20-2010, 10:30 PM
The only pure sealant that I use is Black Fire's Wet Diamond. Not sure how foolproof it is but I have never had a single issue using the stuff on my 4 vehicles. Regardless of applying by hand or by DA, it always goes on very easily and buffs off without any issues. :xyxthumbs:

C. Charles Hahn
12-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Spray waxes are quite easy and user friendly. Most seem to work just as well on damp paint meaning less steps.

Indeed. OCW makes a great drying aid.

CEE DOG
12-20-2010, 11:19 PM
My #1 choice would be Ultima Paint Guard Plus

:iagree:

kona6
12-21-2010, 03:13 AM
When it comes to being foolproof, I think a good spraywax is as easy as it gets. I have used Optimum and 4 star spray waxes and both produced a nice finish that lasted at least a month, they also can be layered for more protection anytime. The wowo products like opti-seal or ultima paint guard are excellent but they have a slight learning curve. I know you mentioned about tending to overapply your wax/sealant the wowo sealants WILL streak if over applied and may be hard to see when being added to certain colors, just something to think about. If extreme durabilty isn't your top priority then its hard to beat the spray waxes for their simplicity IMHO.