PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Ultima trim restorer on s197 mustang trim?

Pages : [1] 2

bigdaddybama
12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Just wanted to see how it was applied. My mirrors didn't turn out like I thought they would. And some other trim didn't look to have even coverage. Any tips or help would be appreciated. Also, would the trim be considered porous? I would seem to think so.

JonMiles
12-20-2010, 09:37 AM
If you are talking about the newer mustang trim, I have used it a handful of times on them. The UTTG is a little finicky if applied too thick, so make sure only to use what is necessary to cover the area. If you want more gloss, add more very thin coats. After drying, you can take a moist towel and buff off the excess to level everything out.

CEE DOG
12-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Do you have a picture of the trim? With window seals rubber type material it is not porous and needs to be buffed off at some point.
It sounds like what you are working on is porous (assumption on my part without a picture) Jon is right on with his tips. Take the applicator and spray it only one time. Then apply to the trim. You can cover alot with that 1 spray of the applicator.

I haven't tried using a moist towel tip Jon mentioned. The only time I have had issue was on my window seals (non porous and overapplied) I just let it sit for a good time and then buffed it off a couple times with a dry towel.

bigdaddybama
12-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry CEE DOG didn't think to get pics & I'm at work. I did try buffing this morning w/dry mf and it helped. The trim is hard plastic I guess w/a little texture and mirrors & wiper cowl have no texture.

05xrunner
12-20-2010, 10:08 AM
the surface is textured and is kinda rough on the trim around the door..its not a smooth soft rubber..its almost like a hard plastic..its an odd type of trim.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Wait 30 minutes and apply another coat of UTTG. If that doesn't do it, you might need some type of dye.

rwright
12-20-2010, 10:36 AM
How did you prep the trim before applying the product? Every piece of material that is going to receive some type of coating - tires, trim, paint, etc., needs to be thoroughly cleaned for proper adhesion. Try cleaning the area with an All Purpose Cleaner (APC) diluted at proper ratio for task at hand or with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA).

bigdaddybama
12-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I cleaned all of it thoroughly with OPC

rwright
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I cleaned all of it thoroughly with OPC

Good, sounds like the surface was well prepped. Next question, what was your application method or media used? I have found that using a microfiber applicator soaks up more product and doesn't leave an excessive amount on the surface, which in turn caused me to use more. When I used a sponge applicator on various surfaces, there appeared to be a lot more product on the surface and the sponge held the product reducing frequent spraying.

Southern Stang
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I haven't used UTTG yet, but i've had very good results with PBTR and either keeping up with it with opti-bond tire gel or hyper dressing diluted 1:3.
Are you talking about the trim around the windows also?
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/PrestigeDetailService/P1030216.jpg

bigdaddybama
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
That's the year and color of mine as well Southern Stang.

Southern Stang
12-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Very cool. My buddy in town has my exact copy also. He just has the set of rims I'm looking for and he has headers on me. But I'm about to change cams so that will all change lol. Anyway I love these cars. I have really come to like the way Opti-seal looks on the redfire red paint. :props:

bigdaddybama
12-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a set of Saleen wheels on mine 19x9 and 19x10. Getting ready to have a new CS series front bumper cover ready to be painted and put on.

CEE DOG
12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I haven't used UTTG yet, but i've had very good results with PBTR and either keeping up with it with opti-bond tire gel or hyper dressing diluted 1:3.
Are you talking about the trim around the windows also?

I'm going on 3 months with UTTG durability. Water just beads up on it completely where as the water washes PB TR away over time.

kronos
12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm going on 3 months with UTTG durability. Water just beads up on it completely where as the water washes PB TR away over time.

Is this from the Saturn bumper test? If it is, that's great news! I ordered UTT&G last week and can't wait to use it on my car.