PDA

View Full Version : Question about working in a cold unheated garage

Waxmax
12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
In cold temps. sealants may take a long time to dry to a haze for removal. (I consider anything over 45 minutes long).

I was wondering if anyone has used a hair dryer to help a sealant dry more quickly after application.

Misterpaul
12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
In cold temps. sealants may take a long time to dry to a haze for removal. (I consider anything over 45 minutes long).
I was wondering if anyone has used a hair dryer to help a sealant dry more quickly after application.

I haven't used a hair dryer, but I do move the portable heater to each panel that I'm working on. The heater is for the finish, not for me.

jlb85
12-23-2010, 11:57 PM
^+1 Portable heater

Hair dryer is too focused and small an area for any heat to make it to the ambient. You need the air to be warm enough to evaporate the solvents. The temp of the surface is less important. Thus a space heater would be much more efficient at helping shorten your wait times. In a very general sense the rate of reaction doubles for every 10 degrees F temp increase. Space heaters an raise the temp of my garage (attached, semi insulated) to a comfortable 50 F in an hour or so. Once warm, it stays warm for a good long time.

IID
12-24-2010, 12:01 AM

I never have but I don't see why it wouldn't work.May take a long time to do it thou.

Crazy Amos
12-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I have a 20 x 22 insulated garage and I just use my shop lights.

Flash Gordon
12-24-2010, 07:42 AM

You would be better off just pulling the car outside in the Sun ;)

marshal
12-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Why hair drier? There are a lot of heating means which can be of great help for you.