PDA

View Full Version : The Project- the products

SATracker
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
My nephew gave his truck to play with for the next week or so.

The truck is about 10 years old, never been detailed, outside 99% of the time.

The process: wash, clay-Pinnacle, Stoner's Tarminator, wash, Meguiar's 105 on orange LC or blue hydro, wash, Meguiar's 205 on white LC, wash, Menzerna 85 on gray LC or maroon hydro, wash, KAIO on LC blue (2 coats), wash, KSG on red LC (2 coats). I know some guys don't care for KAIO, but I like the results. Since I'm using the truck as a learning experience, I'm using KSG.

The directions on KSG say spread thin, let dry, wipe. I put it on with a PC 7424xp & red LC pad. I kept making passes back & forth until I couldn't see any trace of the KSG; it wiped off w/no problem at all. I'm going to allow the first coat of KSG to cure overnight before I put on the second coat. It was around 60 outside and the truck surface was very cool.

I prefer the hydro maroon over the LC gray pad. The LC orange & blue hydro worked out about the same for me. I'll go ahead and put on a wax, I'm just not real sure which one. I have Meguiar's #26, Mother's Reflection wax & top coat (great products) , Pinnacle Souveran (paste & liquid) & Signature paste.

SATracker
12-19-2010, 07:42 PM
And here's why we're supposed to clay. I washed this truck hood 2 times very carefully & thoroughly; still gotta clay.

SATracker
12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm using KSG just to see how to work with it. In the past I've used KSG in the summer and found it problematic, much like other guys have mentioned in their posts. ("Summer" means 90+ degrees in the daytime, 80+ degrees at night; San Antonio humidity.) However, the temps the last couple of days have been in the 70's, the surface of the truck is cool, and KSG has been a breeze to use. Goes on easily (PC7424xp-speed 4, blue LC pad), comes off even easier (silver microfiber). Makes me wonder if KSG, much like Meg's 105 (another recent posting of mine) is temperature and, perhaps, humidity sensitive. In the summer KSG is a pain, but right now- nice!

Mike Phillips
12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
My nephew gave his truck to play with for the next week or so.

The truck is about 10 years old, never been detailed, outside 99% of the time.

Lucky nephew... free detail...

Looking forward to the after pictures...

:dblthumb2:

SATracker
12-22-2010, 08:43 PM
KSG is really a nice product to use in cooler weather. In San Antonio it's in the 60's and this evening I purposely let KSG get a little think in a couple of places. In the summer I'd pay for it with a lot of, "elbow grease", but in this cooler weather KSG just wipes right off with no problems- even the places that had it on a little thicker.