PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wax questions.

WJave
12-19-2010, 09:30 AM
We just picked up two new vehicles (new to us). One is a 2008 Hyundai Sonata and the other is a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Hyundai is gold and the Jeep is pewter in color. OK I'm a total newbie to doing things right so here's the questions. Both paint jobs are in very good shape for the age. I plan on claying both of them and was looking for a wax. Looking for a wax that can be hand applied and will give us decent life and is not one of the very high priced waxes, or do I just need to bite the bullet and spend the money.
1-Is there a good wax that would be easy to apply and not be in the $100 or more range? 2-Should we go with paste?
3-Do I need to break down and get a buffer right now or can I get good results with all hand work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Finemess
12-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Take a look at MaxWax.

Joe in PA
12-19-2010, 09:41 AM
As a fellow Grand Cherokee owner (2001, 2004 & 2007) I can tell you that you need not spend anywhere near $100 to make the paint on your 2003 look great. Any number of waxes for less than even $50 will look good on the pewter paint. Paste or liquid is really a personal preference. Consider using one of the Collinite waxes (845, 476 or 915), Poor Boy's natty red or Pinnacle Signature Series II which is currently on BOGO for $50. Any of these will give a decent shine to the Jeep without breaking the bank. :xyxthumbs:

zliegen
12-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Go for the Signature Series II!! Add something to your cart for less than $1, GET FUZION MINI FOR FREE!! :D

Thats $150 in wax for $50!!

Dr Oldz
12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Go for the Signature Series II!! Add something to your cart for less than $1, GET FUZION MINI FOR FREE!! :D

Thats $150 in wax for $50!!

My math teacher must have done me wrong..... That still doesn't equal $95 or am I missing something here?? For the free gift you have to spend $95 I thought!?!!?

zliegen
12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
My math teacher must have done me wrong..... That still doesn't equal $95 or am I missing something here?? For the free gift you have to spend $95 I thought!?!!?
Oh.. Derp. Thats right. MY BAD GUYS!

I thought it was 50$ for some reason. STILL, I would get the Sig Series II.

dougaross
12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
My favorite is Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html) ($14.99). Easy to apply, looks, great, lasts for months

Dan Metzler
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
My favorite is Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html) ($14.99). Easy to apply, looks, great, lasts for months

:iagree:

4-5 months of protection and a great value. Excellent protection from salt even though you may not see as much as us we do in PA.

sal329
12-19-2010, 10:12 AM
The best results would come from using a machine to polish the paint then top with your choice of wax or sealant. If you are looking for a good wax or sealant to just make the paint shine and protect well I would get Duragloss 501, DP Poli Coat or Collinite 845

WJave
12-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I have a follow up question. I was always under the belief that paste wax was much better then liquid. Are the new liquids just as good as paste?
Also these stay outside year round. Do I need to also use a sealant to protect the finnish?
Thanks for all the replies, Dave

dougaross
12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I have a follow up question. I was always under the belief that paste wax was much better then liquid. Are the new liquids just as good as paste?
Also these stay outside year round. Do I need to also use a sealant to protect the finish?
Thanks for all the replies, Dave
The phrase "as good as" depends on what your looking for. Durability, visual appeal qualities, ease of application, etc. Many of the liquid waxes are hybrid products of wax and polymers. In fact they're really not much different than sealants. Paste waxes generally have more carnauba than liquids, if that matters to you.

The most important factor on good your car will look is the prep work prior to the application of wax or sealant.

I believe in general sealants will last longer than waxes. However the wax Collinite 476 is one of the product with greatest durability.

slickooz
12-19-2010, 12:35 PM

:iagree:also. Have read good stuff about this. Might buy this today actually.