PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Painted Wheels

phantom
12-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Here is my issue. I have a Nissan Z32 300ZX that is mint. It has stock wheels. One of the wheels has a few scratches. I was told that the wheels are painted noy powder coated. can I buff the wheel and if so what should I use? I have a huge (300 point) show coming up this year. This problem will cost me a point or two.

ROMEO
12-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Maybe you can try something like this??? CLICK HERE (http://www.autogeek.net/bufferstick-buffing-tool.html) and a good polish.

Also, you might get better responses if you post pictures of what you are wanting to fix. :props:

Oh, and in the forum we are alway :hungry: for pics... So show us your ride...

phantom
12-19-2010, 06:18 AM
I would post but the car is under it's car cover AND in a car capsule. All I want to do is remove a few light scratches near the lug nut area. The wheels are beyond clean.Over the years I must have spent 20 hours or so just cleaning the INSIDE surfaces. They are in 99.9% condition but I need 100%. Just wondered if I can use my Cyclo of Flex to buff wheels and what polish to use. New wheels will set me back $1,200 to $1,400. I have a spare ste; was thinking about getting them re-done but I am not 100% confident that the color will be perfect. I saw a reconditioned set and the color was pretty gaudy. I cannot afford this at the national level show coming up soon.

C. Charles Hahn
12-19-2010, 12:33 PM
All you've got is a Cyclo and Flex 3401? That's unfortunate... a single-head DA with 4" spot pads would probably be the perfect solution in your situation. The bufferstick option referenced above would also be worth a shot, or what I've used in the past is the Mother's PowerCone.

If it were me I'd go after them with M205 or if that doesn't do the trick step up to M105; just treat the scratches similar to how you'd treat a scratch anywhere else on the car.

tuscarora dave
12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
On a small area like around the lug nuts, I'd think you could do the compounding and polishing by hand. Worse case scenario you could remove one of the polishing heads from your Cyclo to get after the scratches.

CEE DOG
12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I've used in the past is the Mother's PowerCone.

I spent 30$ on that Mothers powercone to use it on my wheels and on my particular paint it wouldn't dent the swirls with M205, WG-TSR, or M105...

Phantom if you are looking for a power cone I'll trade you mine for something!

Dubbin1
12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I would post but the car is under it's car cover AND in a car capsule.

So you have this "super nice" show car but no pictures?

ROMEO
12-19-2010, 10:47 PM
So you have this "super nice" show car but no pictures?

:dunno:

STi05'
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
One of the problems with wheels is they use a different clear coat than the body of the car. I have used a plastic polish in the past with much better results.

Crazy Amos
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
If it's a show car, you really can't afford a trial and error approach. I would contact the manufacturer before trying ANYTHING. Can't tell ya who to call that may know but if you can start say at the dealer level, maybe you work your way through to the right person. If you can't get the info there, I would try polishing by hand first. LC makes orange hand buff pads with a finish side. Try that then work your way up to the machines and heavier polishes. Even if you can't get them all the way out, maybe try and hide the rest with fillers....that would be unfortunate.

C. Charles Hahn
12-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I spent 30$ on that Mothers powercone to use it on my wheels and on my particular paint it wouldn't dent the swirls with M205, WG-TSR, or M105...

Phantom if you are looking for a power cone I'll trade you mine for something!

Were you using it on a corded drill, or cordless? I found that the PowerCone is rather useless on a cordless drill (I have a 19.2v Craftsman "EX") but it does better on my corded DeWalt 3/8" VSR drill.

I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't work on Saturn Sky wheels -- I've used mine on a number of different GM factory wheels with great success.

If it's a show car, you really can't afford a trial and error approach. I would contact the manufacturer before trying ANYTHING. Can't tell ya who to call that may know but if you can start say at the dealer level, maybe you work your way through to the right person. If you can't get the info there, I would try polishing by hand first. LC makes orange hand buff pads with a finish side. Try that then work your way up to the machines and heavier polishes. Even if you can't get them all the way out, maybe try and hide the rest with fillers....that would be unfortunate.

:laughing: Yeah, the dealer.... ask the pimple faced 16 year old kid in their "detail shop" how to get scratches out of the wheels on a show car. I think not!

Crazy Amos
12-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Were you using it on a corded drill, or cordless? I found that the PowerCone is rather useless on a cordless drill (I have a 19.2v Craftsman "EX") but it does better on my corded DeWalt 3/8" VSR drill.

I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't work on Saturn Sky wheels -- I've used mine on a number of different GM factory wheels with great success.

:laughing: Yeah, the dealer.... ask the pimple faced 16 year old kid in their "detail shop" how to get scratches out of the wheels on a show car. I think not!

The parts department and hopefully they can direct to the manufacturer. But that is a funny sight. LOL

CEE DOG
12-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Corded Drill

Your welcome to come give me a lesson anytime! :) Or if you want another powercone for trade let me know :)