PDA

View Full Version : Some questions on Opti-Coat and other similar products

newb001
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi. I have a couple of basic questions on opti-coat (and I guess they apply to the other similar products that are out there as well):

1. What are the disadvantages to using opti-coat? (i.e. do you have to take extra care/use specific products when doing monthly washes/details)

2. What can go wrong with the application of it, and does this happen often (i.e. I've seen online that customers have to sign waivers, etc..)?

3. What is the cost to have it applied?

I guess I'm mainly trying to figure out why I shouldn't use something like opti-coat if it truly lasts for a full year or more. It seems to me to be a no-brainer, so I'm just trying to figure out why more people don't use it.

Thanks!

RaskyR1
12-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi. I have a couple of basic questions on opti-coat (and I guess they apply to the other similar products that are out there as well):

1. What are the disadvantages to using opti-coat? (i.e. do you have to take extra care/use specific products when doing monthly washes/details)

2. What can go wrong with the application of it, and does this happen often (i.e. I've seen online that customers have to sign waivers, etc..)?

3. What is the cost to have it applied?

I guess I'm mainly trying to figure out why I shouldn't use something like opti-coat if it truly lasts for a full year or more. It seems to me to be a no-brainer, so I'm just trying to figure out why more people don't use it.

Thanks!

1. Personally I don't see any disadvantages in it. If you like to wax often then this products is not really for you though. All you have to do is wash your car, nothing more. Using proper washing techniques will help you get the most out of the coating by keeping down on any marring.

2. The customers don't sign waivers, the detailer buying it does. Improper application can result in blemishes on the paint, which can only be removed by polishing or wet sanding. It's really not hard to apply, you just have to take your time, pay attention to what you are doing, and have good light.

3. I have been charging $300 for an application, $200 if they do more than one car. This does not include any prep work. This new Accord below is the first of two cars for this owner and I charged $300 as it needed to be clayed and I also gave it a quick polish too.

paint

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2010%20Accord%20Opti-Coat/_MG_3920.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2010%20Accord%20Opti-Coat/_MG_3923.jpg

Glass/Trim (This is where you have to use most caution IMO because you can't remove it from the plastic trim)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2010%20Accord%20Opti-Coat/_MG_3947.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2010%20Accord%20Opti-Coat/_MG_3946.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2010%20Accord%20Opti-Coat/_MG_3952.jpg

richy
12-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I have used both OC and CQuartz. Both are amazing products. They offer protection to paint, glass and trim that is second to none. They both have instructions that need to be followed to a T. Having said that, it ain't brain surgery. Clean, polished surface, even application..done. The only downside is cost. Cost price is about $25 per vehicle for the product. I firmly believe this is the future of paint protection and I can't believe AG or PMA or some big store is not carrying it yet. They'd make a mint.

newb001
12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys. In your experience, how long do these products last? $25/vehicle is not bad if it lasts a full year or two...

RaskyR1
12-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys. In your experience, how long do these products last? $25/vehicle is not bad if it lasts a full year or two...

I will be using CQuartz for the first time this weekend but I heard around 2yrs protection from it.

I'm told Opti-Coat has been on several test vehicles for over 3 years now and it's still beading water like the day it was applied. David Fermani has had it on his car about a year now and his testing will be the one to keep an eye out for as it's due for an update (hint hint David! :D )

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22836-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html

newb001
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
I will be using CQuartz for the first time this weekend but I heard around 2yrs protection from it.

I'm told Opti-Coat has been on several test vehicles for over 3 years now and it's still beading water like the day it was applied. David Fermani has had it on his car about a year now and his testing will be the one to keep an eye out for as it's due for an update (hint hint David! :D )

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22836-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html

That's awesome. I'm going to have to seriously consider having this done.
Also, just to confirm, is there are special treatment that the car needs going forward? i.e. if I use opti-coat do i have to use optimum products to maintain it? Or can I use KAIO/845 on a periodic basis? Or is there no need for any of that anyway, and a simple spray wax or QD every now and then (after a wash) would suffice?

RaskyR1
12-17-2010, 05:49 PM
That's awesome. I'm going to have to seriously consider having this done.
Also, just to confirm, is there are special treatment that the car needs going forward? i.e. if I use opti-coat do i have to use optimum products to maintain it? Or can I use KAIO/845 on a periodic basis? Or is there no need for any of that anyway, and a simple spray wax or QD every now and then (after a wash) would suffice?

There is no need to do anything but wash, and you can use any soap that you like. From my experience the Opti-Coat seems to repel all of the quick detail sprays I've used and they usually end up a streaky mess. You can top it with a wax if you like, but IMO that is pointless because it really defeats the purpose of the coating. The quality I like most is the way it releases dirt and attracts far less dust....by topping it with a wax you would (tempoarily) loose some of those qualities. I do like using quick detailers as drying aids in an attempt to minimize marring, so I'm going to try a few more before I give up on using them.

I haven't done any real testing to see what amount of polishing it takes to remove it yet, but I would refrain from any plishing until it's necessary as it may remove or degrade the coating. Claying is about the only thing I'd do if needed.

tuscarora dave
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Glass/Trim (This is where you have to use most caution IMO because you can't remove it from the plastic trim)
So do you avoid the plastic trim altogether or apply it to the trim carefully?

Do you know if there is a shelf life with this stuff?

RaskyR1
12-17-2010, 06:34 PM
So do you avoid the plastic trim altogether or apply it to the trim carefully?

Do you know if there is a shelf life with this stuff?

I applied it to the trim on the accord in the pics above (pillars, wiper arms, plastic piece between hood and windshield). As long as the customer wants it coated I'll do it. I'm told you will want to avoid applying it to plastic pieces that will see a lot of flexing, like mud flaps.

The problems is that if you mess up and make a blemish on the plastic trim there is no real good way of getting it off. Chemical cleaners won't remove it and you don't exactly want to sand or polish textured plastic trim do you? ;)

I do find the trim very easy to coat though, and it seems to be more forgiving than the paint if you applied it a little heavy in an area. However, missed ares will stick out like a sore thumb as the coating gives the trim a nice subtle gloss, much like 303 does, but it does not wash away like dressings do. :props:

I was told the shelf life in the syringe is indefinite, but it was also suggested to only order 3-6 months supply at a time.

Rasky

tuscarora dave
12-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks Rasky!! I may be adding this to my list of services.