PDA

View Full Version : Griot's DA broke

Pages : [1] 2 3

weavers
12-16-2010, 12:35 AM
My Griot's Garage dual action polisher broke today. Its say the 12th car I have detailed. I had just finished polished the C pillar and was using the "clean on the fly" technique. Some of the towel got caught up and the pad stop spinning for a second then spun again and was then broken. I did the technique exactly like Mike has shown, but this time the machine broke. I had the DA on speed 5, since that was my working speed. I was using lake country orange pad with ultimate compound.

I'm upset that its broken. I'm maybe a 1/3 of the way done with paint correction. I have another car lined up to correct as well. I have both cars till the 31st. (owners on vacation and i'm car/house sitting). Its really to big of a job to do by hand.

What kind of warranty is there? How can I get a replacement or get it fixed?

Finemess
12-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Call Dwayne in the AM, he was great when mine came apart.

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Wow.... looks like it sheared the spindle right off! You said a towel got caught in it and jammed the head, but for it to just snap like that indicates either the motor having a boatload of torque, or the parts of the spindle assembly are cheap/subpar compared to other brands.

Lucky for you there's that lifetime warranty.

WEST SIDE
12-16-2010, 12:45 AM
When mine broke it was quickly replaced no questions asked.

weavers
12-16-2010, 12:47 AM
When mine broke it was quickly replaced no questions asked.

So do I just call customer service? 1-800-869-3011

FRC Z51
12-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Sounds like user error so it will likely not get warrantied. A warranty is for defective items or items that fail sooner than expected through normal use.

Research replacement parts?

jimmyjam
12-16-2010, 04:57 AM
AG backs thier stuff up! That's why I recommend them at least twice a day!!!

Fly bye
12-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Sounds like user error so it will likely not get warrantied. A warranty is for defective items or items that fail sooner than expected through normal use.

He was doing as instructed, although the towel should not have gotten caught, the spindle should not have broke. The metal(s) used, are obviously not high quality. My guess would be cast iron, or something of that nature. I'm not knocking the manufacturer, I just think a tool of this nature should last more than just 12-20 cars, or whatever, regardless of whether or not a towel got jammed in between the housing and the backing plate. I mean, this is a professional tool isn't it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/tsarkes/emoticons/thinker.gif

Old Tiger
12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Call Dwayne in the AM, he was great when mine came apart.
Ditto! Painless process IME!

Flash Gordon
12-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I guess mine was made on a Thursday :buffing:

Jokeman
12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Yup, call customer service, the took care of mine quick when it went up in smoke.

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I just think a tool of this nature should last more than just 12-20 cars, or whatever, regardless of whether or not a towel got jammed in between the housing and the backing plate. I mean, this is a professional tool isn't it

I never really considered Griot's to be "professional" tools/products/etc. as much as they're "serious hobbyist" tools. As a boutique brand I doubt you'll see a whole lot of professionals using their stuff in high volume operations. Even at that, though, there's no doubt it should last longer than 12-20 buffing sessions.

If I were to be tasked with picking an orbital polisher for "professional" use, I would look first to the Porter Cable 7424XP, with the Meguiar's G110v2 a close second. Especially in the case of the PC, there is a proven history of reliability that just can't be beat.

Flash Gordon
12-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I never really considered Griot's to be "professional" tools/products/etc. as much as they're "serious hobbyist" tools. As a boutique brand I doubt you'll see a whole lot of professionals using their stuff in high volume operations. Even at that, though, there's no doubt it should last longer than 12-20 buffing sessions.

If I were to be tasked with picking an orbital polisher for "professional" use, I would look first to the Porter Cable 7424XP, with the Meguiar's G110v2 a close second. Especially in the case of the PC, there is a proven history of reliability that just can't be beat.

I beg to differ. I know of several top rate pros that have the Griots. I think the main problem is that ppl are putting extremally to much downward force trying to mimmick the KBM. Putting ones full body weight is not the KBM this much I know :buffing:

CEE DOG
12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Mine went down on the first car. I called Dwayne up and he was just awesome. After initially thinking about replacing it I discussed returning it and moving up to the Flex 3401 with him. He was very helpful and patient with my in-decision.

Thank you Dwayne!

DARK HORSE
12-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Mine went down on the first car. I called Dwayne up and he was just awesome. After initially thinking about replacing it I discussed returning it and moving up to the Flex 3401 with him. He was very helpful and patient with my in-decision.

Thank you Dwayne!

Dwayne...You da man!!!!