PDA

View Full Version : Interior scent, carpet cleaner, and trim dressing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

The_Auto_Tech
12-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Well, I got most of my detailing list together as follows:

Car wash for first time details (wax and bug stripper) - Dawn dish soap (original, unscented)

Car wash for regular details - Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo and Conditioner car wash

Clay bar - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze detailing clay (mild, blue)

No rinse wash/clay bar lube/quick detailer - Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (128:1 no rinse wash, 64:1 clay bar lube, 16:1 quick detailer)

Wheel well/engine bay degreaser - Purple Power cleaner/degreaser (5:1 cleaner/degreaser)

Wheel cleaner - Eagle One A2Z All Wheel and Tire Cleaner

Tire dressing - Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance tire gel

Wheel/exhaust tip polish - Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish

Buffer/polisher - Porter Cable 7424

Pad conditioner - Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner

Heavy/medium swirl/scratch remover - Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound

Intermediate/light swirl/scratch remover - Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish

Paint sealant - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Wal-Mart 70% isopropyl alcohol (1:1 for wipedowns)

Wax - Pinnacle Souveran paste wax

Glass - Stoner Invisible Glass (aerosol can, not spray bottle)

Glass sealant - Rain-X spray bottle (at owner's digression)

Sticker/emblem/badge/etc. remover - 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover

Leather cleaner - Meguiar's Gold Class rich leather aloe cleaner

Leather conditioner - Meguiar's Gold Class rich leather aloe conditioner

Interior cleaner/detailer - Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer cleaner (non-greasy stuff)

Interior freshener - Febreeze Auto

It was recommended that I try a different interior scent. Also, I figured I might try a carpet cleaner although generally I will just rent a Rug Doctor to do interiors and just regularly vacuum. And lastly, I figured I should get a trim dressing. What do you guys recommend?

LuxuryMobile
12-15-2010, 09:16 PM
List looks pretty good. Depending on what type of clientele and vehicles you plan to work on, IMO I think there are better, more cost effective LSP's out there. Dont get me wrong the two you have listed are great but rather expensive for everyday type of vehicles.

Just a thought. Other than that list looks great, maybe Meg Water Based dressing for trim?

The_Auto_Tech
12-15-2010, 10:44 PM
List looks pretty good. Depending on what type of clientele and vehicles you plan to work on, IMO I think there are better, more cost effective LSP's out there. Dont get me wrong the two you have listed are great but rather expensive for everyday type of vehicles.

Just a thought. Other than that list looks great, maybe Meg Water Based dressing for trim?

For now it will just be my vehicles. See, I was going to use something cheaper than the Souveran, but I really like how it lays down and for now until I get better, I'll just be doing friends and my vehicles. I just wanted a good cabinet of products to start with and go from there. Just curious what you would recommend besides the WG and the Souveran?

I've tried the Meguiar's High Endurance Tire Gloss on trim and it seemed to work really well. My only problem with buying trim stuff is that very few cars anymore have that textured trim. What would you recommend here?

LuxuryMobile
12-15-2010, 11:02 PM
For doing your personal cars and friends/family, those are awesome LSPs.

For a larger volume of cars, I really like using Meg#21 (sealant) or Meg#26 or Liquid Souveran. I used to use NXT Tech Wax. Collinite is always reasonably priced and has good results.

I guess it all depends on what your able to charge and how much you plan to profit after cost of supplies.

Hopefully others can chime in with advice for trim.

Dr Oldz
12-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I would personally ditch the Eagle One Wheel cleaner. It is kinda harsh and doesn't work to good! I use P21S gel or a good APC! As far as a trim dressing UTTG is my new favorite but it is little costly! But since you are doing your own vehicles why not give it a treat! Souveran is indeed a great wax but lacks durability...so maybe Max Wax or some SSII from a longetivity stand point and both are just as easy to apply and remove as Souveran! Collinite 845 is another great product with very good longetivity and it is very affordable if you like a liquid LSP!

The_Auto_Tech
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
As far as LSP's go, I'm a much bigger fan of pastes. Like I said, I love the Souveran and at this point I'm just doing family and friends cars until I get better at things. When I do that I'll probably re-do my list and include some cheaper products to make it worth the work instead of burning all the money on product. For this point I'll just use what I have there. lol Besides, I may as well use the Souveran up since it's a great LSP.

As far as the wheel cleaner goes I used to use the Meg's stuff, but switched to the Eagle One because it worked much much better. I've heard of the P21S, but who makes it?

UTTG I've heard is good as well.

Dr Oldz
12-22-2010, 10:57 PM
P21S WHEEL CLEANERS gel and regular (http://autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html)

Gotta use what works for you!! Nice arsenal tho!!!!!

James K
12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
For trim dressing I LOVE Adam's VRT. I use this on every car I do, and every one is always impressed. Not greasy, slight shine. Good product IMO.

ScottB
12-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Trim Dressing -- Ultima Tire and Trim

Interior Dressing -- 303 or DP Protectant

Carpet Cleaner -- Folex

The_Auto_Tech
02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
After a long hiatus here from there I'm back finally.

I will for sure go with the UTTG for my trim dressing. Originally was going to use Meguiar's Tire Gel but that stuff doesn't soak into plastic trim like I would like it to and it tends to be too greasy for trim. As far as the carpet cleaning goes there's so many damn opinions out there it's hard to say. But I do see Folex keeps popping up everywhere, so I'm going to go with that. Also, I'm still trying to decide what interior scent to go with. What do you guys recommend?

WRAPT C5Z06
02-19-2011, 01:51 PM
For trim dressing I LOVE Adam's VRT. I use this on every car I do, and every one is always impressed. Not greasy, slight shine. Good product IMO.
Durability?

The_Auto_Tech
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Bump!

The_Auto_Tech
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Anyone?

James K
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Durability?

Sorry, just saw this. Pretty darn good imo. I have had it last for a month on the interior panels. Outside it used to be pretty poor. They have now made it water repellent and it holds up great.

Southern Stang
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Give 303 a shot on the trim. You may like it you may not. I love it because it does not streak or run and lasts a long time. Going on 3 weeks since last application on my stang and still looks almost like the day I put it on. :)