PDA

View Full Version : Keeps clearcoated wheels from accumulating pack ice / snow

gius3ppe
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Hello!

I have 2009 Sonata Limited with coated 17" wheels. There isn't a whole lot of space around the wheel as it is and snow seems to quickly accumulate in the wheel well. Also, since the rims are offset, snow and pack ice has been building up behind my spokes.

I have reading some forums for the ideal method to remove and prevent this from building up. I am overly concerned with keeping my car as perfect as possible for the less snowy months.

What is the best method or product to use to accomplish this? I have read that people are using, cooking non-stick spray (Pam), silicone spray or a spray lubricant for snow-blower chutes. I do not want to dry-rot the tires or tarnish my wheels with anything! Just remove the snow!

Before winter struck, I did put a coat of DP Wheel Glaze on my wheels, but I think with all of the salt NY uses, I am not sure if it has the durability to hold up against the elements.

Thanks!

Giuseppe

STi05'
12-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I have no personal experience with this however I would try Rejex. It would be much better at protecting against corrosion as thats what it was designed to do.

gius3ppe
12-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Mainly what I am looking for is to avoid snow build up that is disrupting my wheel balance. This is causing nasty vibrations even at low speeds. I also don't want to go spraying something on my wheels that will cause damage to the surfaces I spray it on.

hahaha right now, I am actually using a rubber spatula to clear the snow from my wheel wells and my wheels themselves. I would rather not go at my car with a cooking utensil every time I drive through snow!

The ultimate solution I suppose would be to buy some steelies but I just bought some snow tires for the car so I am a bit strapped for cash and am looking for an interim solution until I can get different wheels to mount the snow tires on.

Thanks!

Giuseppe

STi05'
12-17-2010, 12:01 AM
You could probably find some cheap steelies on craigslist. But I am willing to bet Rejex is going to be your best option.

Crazy Amos
12-17-2010, 12:14 AM
As far as the wells go, maybe try some 1:1 silicone dressing of your choice. Soak them and hope the snow slides off and can't accumulate. CG Bare Bones comes to mind, good stuff. Maybe someone can recommend an AG product, CG is pricey and shipping is too. If you can but from AG, go with them.

Crazy Amos
12-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Welcome to AG!!!