PDA

View Full Version : Can you burn through clear coat with a PCXP?

moparfan1986
12-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I was just wondering if you can still burn though the clear with a porter cable and some type of compound? I definately am not too aggressive when I detail cars for the fear of doing something like that and I barely let the machine get up to 6 but I do typically use Megs Ultimate compound. Could anybody give me a good estimate of how many time you would be able to compound a car with a DA? Thanks in advance!

loudog2
12-15-2010, 10:37 AM
It is easier to burn through the plastic, like bumpers and etc. Also, make sure the paint it not hot. Other than that you will be fine.

SeaJay's
12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
It is possible, like loudog said on plastic bumpers especially. But I wouldn't worry too much. It takes a lot of pressure and holding the DA in one spot for it to really burn through. As long as your being safe with it, you can apply pressure, just ensure your moving constantly and check the paint and pad every now and then to ensure your not building up too much heat.

Mike Phillips
12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I was just wondering if you can still burn though the clear with a porter cable and some type of compound?

I kind of touched on this question on page 3 of this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/30836-need-help-starting-3.html

Excerpts

What I mean it that it is possible to abrade through the paint if you are using a very abrasive compound and work any spot too long.

Not saying it is likely, just that it is possible.

My point is that edges and sharp edged body lines have less paint on them than the flat areas do so be mindful of that.

I'll back you up on the above....

Plus, unless it's right off the assembly line or out of a paint booth you don't know who's worked on the car before you and what they used...

It could have been Jim the owner that hand washed and waxed it with Turtle Wax or it could have seen Bubba the Caveman Detailer and seen some archaic compound with a 20 year old wool pad on a 30 pound Milwaukee Sander/Polisher from the 70's with 2 speeds, fast and less fast and he could have ground enough paint off high points till it's "Whisper Thin" and then you, the "Next Guy" to detail the car get to find out the paint is thin the hard way...

Be careful around edges, raised body lines and corners as the paint in these areas can often times be thinner, especially if it's an older car that's been around the detail block a few times...

And your other question...

Could anybody give me a good estimate of how many time you would be able to compound a car with a DA? Thanks in advance!

No hard answer.

Most people don't need to worry about removing too much paint, think about how rarely you see someone post that they burned through the paint while machine polishing and even more rare when we're talking about a DA style polisher.

I've been typing this for years...

Most people struggle with removing enough paint.

The way you see this posted to the forum is someone posting,

"Help... can't remove swirls"

You see, removing swirls means removing a little paint, and most people when first starting out struggle with removing enough paint to remove the swirls, not the opposite, removing too much paint and burning through the clear top coat of paint.

The BIG IDEA is to avoid instilling swirls and scratches after your initial detail session where you remove the swirls so you don't have to do the heavy chopping or heavy cutting process over again.

This means taking ownership of the washing and drying process and the care and maintenance of the exterior finish.

:)