PDA

View Full Version : How to remove baked on manufacturer's protectant tape

vdubbeet
12-15-2010, 09:25 AM
from the black window/door moldings? My spousal unit whose name shall never be mentioned because I'm furious with him at the moment, because he decided not to remove the protective film that was on the black molding beneath all 5 windows. Applied either by Ford or dealership to protect it during transport. We have a 2010 Ford Expedition. Does anyone have any ideas about how to remove this now baked on mess? The protective film completely baked in the sun and the heat we've had over the summer. I've tried APC MF towels to (looks terrible) to acetone (small area) that just made it worse and softer. I'm able to scrape some of it off with my fingernail. What's left is similar to what remains after you remove a sticker or a price tag. Sticky, messy, visible yuk.
Hard to believe my husband thought gee, I'll just leave it there, if the dealer put it on as protection, it can't be bad! Well, it is bad. It's streaked and sticky. If I use something like Goo Gone, might that help or hurt? Thanks in advance for your help!

~Michelle

Flash Gordon
12-15-2010, 09:51 AM
3M Adhesive Remover + Elbow Grease :props:

SeaJay's
12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
You can try the goo gone as well. Or maybe a little diluted IPA?

RLove
12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
I know that there are some things that peanut butter will work well on. I've taken a few hard to remove stickers off with it. Smear it on and let the oils soak in for a while. Not high tech at all but it can't hurt to try it.

JohnHenry
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Definitely!

fairlady350z
12-15-2010, 04:11 PM

:iagree:

BillE
12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I found some "De-Solv-It Contractors Solvent" at my local ACE Hardware store. I needed something that would help remove silicone caulk, which it DID.

It is a citrus based product, the lable even says 'lables.' Figure $8 for 12.6oz.

Bill

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2010, 09:03 AM
3M Adhesive Remover or Stoner's XENIT! would be my two products of choice for that.

VR8
12-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Rubbing alchohol out of your medicine cabinet does well on sticker goo.

DLB
12-16-2010, 10:44 AM
If I am understanding correctly, the film is still there mostly, and when you remove it, the adhesive stays?

If that is right, then I would suggest VERY carefully trying a heat gun. You don't want to use it to the point of heating up the molding, just enough to heat up the film and its adhesive. You might even get away with a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun handy, it will just take longer.

Again, I say carefully. Start out farther away than you think you need to be, and work slow. If you heat it up to much, you could definitely see adverse effects.

If still no go, everyone else has nailed it - the 3M adhesive remover (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-adhesive-cleaner.html) (also available locally at parts stores usually), or Goo Gone (I have used this on paint before without problems).

Good luck.

DLB

goathead
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Lacquer thinner all day. The 3m adhesive remover works good, but LT, you barely have to rub.

RLove
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Lacquer thinner all day. The 3m adhesive remover works good, but LT, you barely have to rub.

This will be great for removing that pesky paintjob too!

goathead
12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
This will be great for removing that pesky paintjob too!

Well yes, use caution. :xyxthumbs: On cured paint you would need to leave it on for a good amount of time. Just soak a corner of a microfiber towel and wipe it off (get quick drying) then follow up with a quick detailer.