PDA

View Full Version : First polish Job - Help please!

Pages : [1] 2

scrib13
12-14-2010, 09:01 AM
ok, after washing, claying, wipe down with top inspection, polishing with menz final finish and tangerine ht pad (pc), then doing another top inspection wipe down...

I noticed a hairline scratch on the roof, it is about 1.5 inches long can not feel it with my finger or finger nail, so I took a hand polishing pad with menz intensive polish and polished that area like I was spit shinning my boots in the military, used a ton of pressure and the scratch still exist.

Will it make any difference if I break out the pc or is this a bigger problem. I can certainly live with it but after all this work not sure I want to? Let me know if possible!

Feed back please

My next questions after I get this fixed or live with it. I was going to put down a layer of Powerlock, wait 4-5 days and then a layer of SSII. After reading an earlier link, is it a bad idea to put wax down after a sealant?

Mike Phillips
12-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Polishing paint by hand is kind of tricky, I've been removing isolated scratches by hand for a long time and demonstrating how to do it in classes just as long and it wasn't till Meguiar's introduced their SMAT products that it got easy enough that anyone can do it and be successful.

Try ScratchX or Ultimate Compound or M105 and see if you have better luck.

Or drive that bad boy down here and I'll help you personally. If it can be fixed, we can get r done....

:D

SeaJay's
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM
You may want to try using the PC with it. It may help because it will build up some heat and help smooth it out. If that doesn't work then it may be too deep of a scratch to get rid of without wet sanding.

You can put a wax down over a sealant. I currently have the Powerlock topped with Collinite 845. As long as you let the sealant cure 12-24 hours you will be all set.

scrib13
12-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks, I do not have any of those products and do not mind driving down to you but if I do drive it, were would that leave me as far as my polish job. Would I just need to rewash and then go to my sealant/wax? Or would it require more work?

FUNX650
12-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree with Mike. I've used ScratchX and/or the Ultimate Compound on the same kind of isolated scratches and had great success. You have no doubt by now discovered just how hard the Corvettes' clear coat is; and, that it takes a little more passion to remove the deeper blemishes.

Mazda.Mark
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Polishing paint by hand is kind of tricky, I've been removing isolated scratches by hand for a long time and demonstrating how to do it in classes just as long and it wasn't till Meguiar's introduced their SMAT products that it got easy enough that anyone can do it and be successful.

Try ScratchX or Ultimate Compound or M105 and see if you have better luck.

Or drive that bad boy down here and I'll help you personally. If it can be fixed, we can get r done....

:D

Shoot I'll drive down from Muncie, IN for that hired help!

Mike Phillips
12-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I noticed a hairline scratch on the roof, it is about 1.5 inches long can not feel it with my finger or finger nail,

**Update***

Scott brought his Corvette to the Autogeek Garage and I was able to capture a picture of this fine or shallow scratch in the finish...

Scott's 2010 Corvette
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch01.jpg

Reference Shot - To where the small scratch is located
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch02.jpg

And here's the actual scratch as seen in the reflection of the overhead fluorescent lights...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch03.jpg

After viewing the scratch and talking with Scott we have a plan of action moving forward...

Thank you for brining your Corvette by Autogeek's Show Car Garage Studio and Training Classroom.

:dblthumb2:

Marc08EX
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Mike, did you charge Scott for this? BTW, that vette is shiny! The paint really pops! Well done Scott!

BobbyG
12-15-2010, 01:45 PM
**Update***

Scott brought his Corvette to the Autogeek Garage and I was able to capture a picture of this fine or shallow scratch in the finish...

Scott's 2010 Corvette
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch01.jpg

Reference Shot - To where the small scratch is located
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch02.jpg

And here's the actual scratch as seen in the reflection of the overhead fluorescent lights...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/ScottsVetteScratch03.jpg

After viewing the scratch and talking with Scott we have a plan of action moving forward...

Thank you for brining your Corvette by Autogeek's Show Car Garage Studio and Training Classroom.

:dblthumb2:

I remember the invite and this is just what the doctor ordered. I'm really looking forward to hearing the recipe that made this defect disappear! :props:

Mike Phillips
12-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey Mike, did you charge Scott for this? BTW, that vette is shiny! The paint really pops! Well done Scott!

Nah...

I had another project going on while he was here so he'll be back in the future...

:)

scrib13
12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
thanks, it has been polished with the Menz. Final polish, will work on this spot plus a few other spots Mike and the Crew located (thanks I think). Once that is done really looking forward to putting down the LSP. Hope to have some after shots for you soon, thanks Scott

Dr Oldz
12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Good luck! Love that color....Nice choice!:xyxthumbs:

WRAPT C5Z06
12-15-2010, 07:45 PM
thanks, it has been polished with the Menz. Final polish, will work on this spot plus a few other spots Mike and the Crew located (thanks I think). Once that is done really looking forward to putting down the LSP. Hope to have some after shots for you soon, thanks Scott
Why didn't you ask Mike to remove the scratch? :confused:

scrib13
12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I wanted to learn how to do it, more to come, I promise!! Will fix the scratches and trying to figure out the LSP. Not sure if I will go sealant with topper or just straight sealant/wax, either way I will be posting pics and promise it will be something to see! (guess I am a little biased)

STAY TUNED!

WRAPT C5Z06
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I wanted to learn how to do it, more to come, I promise!! Will fix the scratches and trying to figure out the LSP. Not sure if I will go sealant with topper or just straight sealant/wax, either way I will be posting pics and promise it will be something to see! (guess I am a little biased)

STAY TUNED!
What is your plan of attack to fix the scratch? :xyxthumbs: