PDA

View Full Version : Paint transfer when claying

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
So I was detailing an 02 Mercery Cougar today and was going to claybar (turtle wax ICE) and wax it for the lady, but when I started to clay the car, there was immediate paint tranfer to the clay. This car should have a clear coat, but I am pretty sure this was the first time the car was ever waxed. So would this be clear coat failure?

No damage seemed to occur from claying it, so I proceeded and also waxed (Megs NXT) the car. The car looked good when finished. Future reference though, should I have not clayed it and just waxed it? or just leave it alone?!:bolt:

thanks for your guy's input!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/chromegixxer/DSCN0672.jpg

Dr Oldz
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
ODD! Have a pic of the dirty clay? Are u sure it is paint and not the particles that you are picking up off the paint?

WestEnd
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
ODD! Have a pic of the dirty clay? ...

HAHAHA

I was flipping back and forth trying to figure out who O D D was.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Here is a picture of the clay. Definitely red from the paint...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/chromegixxer/DSCN0675.jpg

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
HAHAHA

:haha: lol

Dr Oldz
12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAH LMAO

now to the OP....If you say that is definately red....has the car ever been resprayed in any spot....cuz I would guess thats overspray. I have never seen any paint besides overspray stick to clay like that!

indianaryan
12-13-2010, 06:53 PM
When I clayed my car for the first time my clay was a little red like that. And I have a silver car. It may not be paint transfer in your case either. Have you tried a white foam pad on it yet?

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
now to the OP....If you say that is definately red....has the car ever been resprayed in any spot....cuz I would guess thats overspray. I have never seen any paint besides overspray stick to clay like that!

Im not sure if it has been resprayed. The girl just bought the car. Overspray would make sense, but it pulled off every panel of the car.

weird...

thanks for your speedy responses and thanks for taking time to respond.:dblthumb2:

Dr Oldz
12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Maybe it caught some overspray from sitting wherever...... did u try going over a panel a second time? If you do try that and there is no or a lot less contamination on the clay then I would bet on overspray of some sort!

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
When I clayed my car for the first time my clay was a little red like that. And I have a silver car. It may not be paint transfer in your case either. Have you tried a white foam pad on it yet?

I applied the Megs NXT with hand applicator pad and there was slight paint transfer on that as well

ColorsDetailing
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Im not sure if it has been resprayed. The girl just bought the car. Overspray would make sense, but it pulled off every panel of the car.

weird...

thanks for your speedy responses and thanks for taking time to respond.:dblthumb2:

Did she buy it from a dealership? I would say it's over spray judging from the bumper that looks 4 shades darker than the rest of the car. Dealerships tend to have touch-up guys that will work outside and not cover the car up leaving overspray not only on the car they are working on but the 4 others sitting next to them.

indianaryan
12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Did she buy it from a dealership? I would say it's over spray judging from the bumper that looks 4 shades darker than the rest of the car. Dealerships tend to have touch-up guys that will work outside and not cover the car up leaving overspray not only on the car they are working on but the 4 others sitting next to them.

I wonder if that's what happened to me...

A.P.A.D.
12-13-2010, 07:20 PM

im not sure of the history of the vehicle. She was a first time customer and really didnt seem to care or inspect the vehicle when she came and picked it up. daddy must have bought it for her.

Dr Oldz
12-13-2010, 07:24 PM
As long as she is happy and you got paid!! Im still going with some sort of overspray tho...lol