PDA

View Full Version : What to use to apply Wax

Pages : [1] 2

chuckr
12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I've always applied my wax with a slightly damp terry cloth. I just used some
DoDo Juice for the first time. Really like this stuff ! Not reading up on this,I went with the usual damp terry cloth. Now I read that the preferred method for applying DoDo Juice
is with a foam applicator .I have noticed this with other products, apply with foam applicator...what's the difference ??? I found that the Banana Armour went on just fine with the damp terry cloth.

bmw5541
12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
It's all personal preference. Use either a MF applicator, or foam applicator. A terry towel may induce some scratches.

Scott DeBrun
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I've found that when using a mf applicator it soaks up alot of product that should be going onto the vehicle. I prefer foam because once it has product in it you don't have to keep dipping it in the wax.

Crazy Amos
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I've always applied my wax with a slightly damp terry cloth. I just used some
DoDo Juice for the first time. Really like this stuff ! Not reading up on this,I went with the usual damp terry cloth. Now I read that the preferred method for applying DoDo Juice
is with a foam applicator .I have noticed this with other products, apply with foam applicator...what's the difference ??? I found that the Banana Armour went on just fine with the damp terry cloth.

To be honest I don't really know, maybe ease of app or for curing. I would like to know the real reason......

chuckr
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Never thought about the scratching with the terry cloth. I do have a very nice foam applicator I got with some Griots wax years ago. I'll give that a try. What about the dampness ? For some un-explained reason,I've always used a damp applicator.Do you that use the foam...dry or damp?
Thanks

dougaross
12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I use a red pad with my Polishing Pal. The pad becomes wet with wax after the first panel or two. Then very little is needed for rest of job. Gives a good grip and flat surface against the paint.

akimel
12-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I use a foam applicator. I have found that even microfiber applicators can mar soft Honda paint. I generally do not pre-dampen the applicator. I have never seen the need to do so, at least not with the waxes that I use. Last October I pre-dampened the applicator when I applied 1000p. It's a hard wax and some guys prefer to moisten their applicators for easier application. But I didn't like the waxing felt, so I quickly switched to a fresh applicator. I guess it's just personal preference, but I also wonder how the moisture might affect the wax itself. I dunno. :confused:

Scott DeBrun
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Some waxes like Autoglym HD come with pre moistened applicators but I think these are exceptions and not the rule.

Mike Phillips
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
The recommendation to use a water dampened applicator to apply waxes has been around as long as car waxes have been around from all the years I've been reading and studying this topic specifically and detailing in general.

My guess as to why companies recommend this are,

Dampening, or wetting an applicator pad tends to make it softer
A dampened applicator will absorb less product because it's already wet with water

Those are the two I can think of, there might be more.

Dampening the applicator pad to make it softer and so that it won't absorb your precious wax are great ideas but another approach is to dampen your applicator pad with the product you're using and avoid water. I show that with the Wolfgang Paint Sealant in the below video and share how to get a paste wax out of a container in the Pinnacle Video.

Wax and water don't mix, paint sealant and water don't usually mix and for what it's worth, I'm a big fan of not adding water to your waxes and paint sealants when using them as your LSP or last step product.

We didn't have microfiber till sometime in the 1990's for car detailing, so the recommendation to wet your cotton, terry cloth applicators to make them softer is because cotton is normally less soft than microfiber so dampening it will make if softer.

There are some very soft cottons on the market thus I couch my words in the above paragraph.

Normally, foam and/or microfiber applicator pads are considered to be more gentle to a scratch-sensitive finish like a modern clear coat finish, but you should still always be sure that your applicator pads are clean before and during use as anytime during the application process it's entirely possible to pick up a stray dirt particle and you don't want to rub this all over the paint.

In one of the below videos I cover "inspecting" your applicator pad as a "Best Practice" while waxing your car.

My personal preference is to apply all waxes and paint sealants using a Porter Cable 7424XP polisher because your hand cannot duplicate the even and consistent pressure and coverage provided by a soft foam pad on a DA Polisher.

I don't buy off on the bare hand application touted by others but do recommend everyone try it at least once so they have their "own" opinion and a valid one at that.

I can probably find my comments on bare hand application of wax on MOL as I addressed this a long time ago when it became the new, old hot topic again... :D

:)

Mike Phillips
12-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Videos...

Part 1 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

- Part 1 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax using the Straightline Technique

Part 2 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax by Hand using the Straightline Technique

- Part 2 - How to apply a Carnauba Wax using the Straightline Technique

Part 1 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

- Part 1 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

Part 2 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

- Part 2 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

Part 3 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

- Part 3 - How to apply a synthetic paint sealant by hand without instilling swirls

Dan Metzler
12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I use a red pad with my Polishing Pal. The pad becomes wet with wax after the first panel or two. Then very little is needed for rest of job. Gives a good grip and flat surface against the paint.
:iagree:

Polishing Pal is great with the red applicator for tight spaces. Everywhere else gets the LC Crimson low pro on the PC.

Mike Phillips
12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Must just be me but I always thought the joke in the previous two videos was kind of funny... that topic is touched on in this article,

How to break open a coating of wax and remove it by creeping out... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/28204-how-break-open-coating-wax-remove-creeping-out.html)

And here's how to apply a paste by machine...

How to Apply Dodo Pastes Waxes by Machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25737-how-apply-dodo-pastes-waxes-machine.html)

How To Apply Mothers California Gold Carnauba Paste Wax by Machine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25725-how-apply-mothers-california-gold-pure-carnauba-paste-machine.html)

And here's one on applying Pinnacle by machine...

Video: A Show Car Wax for a Show Car Finish at Show Car Garage (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pinnacle-wax/28651-video-show-car-wax-show-car-finish-show-car-garage.html)

Using a PC is by far the fastest and in my opinion most effective way to apply any wax or paint sealant.

Mike Phillips
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I use a red pad with my Polishing Pal. The pad becomes wet with wax after the first panel or two.

Then very little is needed for rest of job. Gives a good grip and flat surface against the paint.

Or Pre-Wet or Prime the Polishin Pal like shown in the Wolfgang video...

Dr Oldz
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I asked a friend about this today that has been in the body shop and detailing biz for over 50 years. His response was......

There were two reasons why manufacturers told you to dampen you applicator(which was a terry towles in the day) Blue Coral was the wax he thinks started this idea of a damp applicator!

1) It would add lubrication to the towel and help the areas where you didn't have enough wax on the towel glide easier across the paint inturn making the application EASIER and you also ended up putting on a thinner coat!

2)Because you application was EASIER and you applied a thinner coat now the removal step was EASIER since there is less product to remove!

Basically it was the manufacturers way of making their product more user friendly. Now in this age there are so many chemicles added to aid us in easy application and removal just follow the directions on the product. I'm sure if a company tells you to dampen an applicator, that it is only to aid you and will not be detrimental to their product!

rfinkle2
12-14-2010, 02:18 PM
my hands are way too rough to rub across my paint... especially in winter (i.e. they dry out)