PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen this technique?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sspudnick
12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I couldnt watch the entire video due to feelings of an impending heartattack. Was just wondering if anyone else had seen this technique to get rid of overspray etc...Maybe some of you guys actually use it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwP5IqBIwo]YouTube - Epoxy Paint Overspray Removal- Allstate Insurance Claim[/video]

SeaJay's
12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Is that a plastic razor blade he's using on that? I personally would of used a claybar first. Typically you can get most overspray off with that. Seems like he'd be inducing a ton of scratches with that razor blade and just causing himself more work. Also, it looks like he's using a regular terry cloth to wipe the car clean. Probably just put some more swirls and scratches back into the paint. End result seems to look OK, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like in a full sun shot or some lights on it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it this way.

sspudnick
12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Is that a plastic razor blade he's using on that? I personally would of used a claybar first. Typically you can get most overspray off with that. Seems like he'd be inducing a ton of scratches with that razor blade and just causing himself more work. Also, it looks like he's using a regular terry cloth to wipe the car clean. Probably just put some more swirls and scratches back into the paint. End result seems to look OK, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like in a full sun shot or some lights on it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it this way.

Yea I just managed to make it to the end...(took some blood pressure meds) and while his "final inspection" looks good, im very puzzled by a lot of what I see to be absolutely terrible techniques.

I dont understand why you would buff a wax, let alone with a WOOL PAD, and follow up with an home depot orbital with the very same "Wax" to remove swirls?

Is this actually a tried and true method, or should I be ignoring it like 90% of the "paint correction" threads on youtube?

swat ss
12-13-2010, 08:18 AM
every step he did he seemed to be rushing. Why? take your time with it. no over lap with either polisher, or lack of, and that towel is flopping around like crazy!! lol

PAR Detailing
12-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I personally believe that in roughly 2-3 weeks and a few washes that car will be scratched and swirled to high heaven. There is probably a large amount of fillers on the paint masking the true condition of the paint. It is difficult enough to finish down hologram free with a fine polish and no cut pad. I doubt he can do it with a wool pad and throwing the buffer around like that.

Jon

BobbyG
12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
If you guys don't mind I'll stick with my own approach! :eek:

Crazy Amos
12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I can't view the video right now because its blocked, but I have used plastic razor blades and a high lube solution (QD or shampoo) to remove stubborn road paint and tar. It gets the "clump" off and then follow with clay. As long as the work area is washed and the edges of the the plastic blade are rouned prior to use, it can be used without inducing scratches. Not sure about the terry towel...i never recommend that.... Just my two cents...

BTW, the plastic blades come in handy when you get a car that has left over baked on wax in the creases of the emblems and badging when QD and MF or brush will not suffice.

Larry A
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
With that much overspray you have no choice but to use a razor blade or lacquer thinner. BC2 is a great product to buff with. I knew a detail shop that did mainly used cars , and used BC2 all the time on 95% of the used cars he did and they came out great. He would follow with Megs #26. Whats wrong with terry towels? What do you think we used before MF towels.

Crazy Amos
12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I mean nowadays....I used them before MF's too.

LegacyGT
12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
agh everything about that video ... if you make it to the end the cord is dragging all over the hood.

jkk7479
12-14-2010, 08:10 AM
AT 3:21 in the video....it looks like his gum falls onto the car as he is going to town with his towel and then it looks like he puts it back into his mouth! I'll stick with the least aggressive method of claying first.

:hungry:

Shane731
12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Actually, I think that was a regular steel razor blade, not a plastic razor blade. He says in the video description, "I used a single edge carbon tipped razor blade to remove overspray that the clay bar cannot." If you google "single edge carbon tipped razor blade,", this is the type that comes up. :nomore::bash::cry:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:aKFAsz3gPzArwM:http://blog.jamestowndistributors.com/images/razor.jpg&t=1

Flash Gordon
12-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I could only make it to the 1:33 mark before I had seen enough. I'm sure this method is effective at removing overspray, but there is going to be heavy marring and a good possibilty of scratching the paint. On top of that, he was moving around the car so fast, theres no way he was removing very much of the overspray. As someone else has mentioned, I also have used a plastic razor blade to remove large chunks of paint. but to do the entire car in that manner is ridicolous IMO

Removing overspray is a slow tideous process

slickooz
12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah ignore everything he talking about. Wool pad and wax? and then wax with Home Depot orbital polisher? Someone need to tell that person to remove that video, all that misinform information can cause a lot of damage.

sspudnick
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I dont mean to pick on the guy or anything, but his videos REALLY scare the heck out of me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obD57Mg7_Xc]YouTube - Paint Overspray Removal- insurance carriers STOP paying to replace trim and molding pieces ![/video]

I dont mean to be funny or insulting, but the way he moves really reminds me of the meth/crackheads that appear out of nowhere and try to wash your car with newspaper. Very sporadic.

Anyone ever seen anyone use a buffer that way?

I can only IMAGINE how many people have damaged their vehicles listening to this guy, and thinking their angle grinder was a buffer. UG.