PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen this technique?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

VW 91
12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I did a job last week with a month old white road paint that had dried and cured on a 2010 GMC Pickup. Here it is:

Road Paint overspray on 2010 GMC -

Wow, small world! Never thought I'd see anyone else from Windsor on here. I live near Amherstburg but am in Windsor 3-4 times a week for school. Great job on that GMC!

C. Charles Hahn
12-16-2010, 12:49 AM
I did a job last week with a month old white road paint that had dried and cured on a 2010 GMC Pickup. Here it is:

Excellent save on that All-Terrain... I don't usually get to see too many of them out there aside from mine :props:!

langman37
02-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok, i watched a minute and a half and here is what I think so far. I wouldn't do this at all. Whether it works or not, there is many safer ways to remove overspray then running a piece of plastic, with hardly(none) any lube. It's a black BMW, I'm betting the paint is pretty soft. He's doing it in the open where anyone can see what he is doing. I don't have issues with people watching me work but hey, take it into the bay. Would anyone do an oil change(or anything?) without taking it in the back? He's wearing a watch. 'Nuff said. I am a fan of Puma though. Alright, back to the heartache.

langman37
02-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Man, that was tough to watch(the first vid). You could almost feel the swirls and holograms being applied to the paint with those techniques. Nice job with the cord buddy. I'm really shocked that some "professionals" work this way. The razor may work but I just think there is a better, safer way. His tooling, products, techniques are just awful to see. And he looks so unprofessional. A company uniform or shirt is missing as well. I dunno, everything about it just gave me the willies.

David Fermani
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Besides his buffing regiment(which is pitiful), I hear this guy is very well known in the overspray removal business in regards to servicing Insurance companies with their overspray claims. I'd imagine he uses this technique regularly(for removing OS) and if he were screwing up cars with his removal technique(especially for picky people), it would bite him in the butt? I know his method for removing OS looks as painful as his wool to wax buffing process, but I wouldn't knock the OS removal portion until you try it(with lots of practice too).

Bates Detailing
02-26-2011, 09:05 PM
at 3:25 in the video did he drop his gum on the ride... pick it up... then put it back in his mouth?!?!?!?

tuscarora dave
02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
at 3:25 in the video did he drop his gum on the ride... pick it up... then put it back in his mouth?!?!?!?
I just watched that 5 times and think it was a piece of clay that came off of the ball of clay that he's working with, but I think he did put it in his mouth too.

Bates Detailing
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I just watched that 5 times and think it was a piece of clay that came off of the ball of clay that he's working with, but I think he did put it in his mouth too.

LOL - gross :eek:

Matt
02-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Well I've learnt my lesson from the first video! Start with a BMW Z3 that has terrible overspray, scrape it with a razor then buff it with wax on a wool pad on a rotary, and your lowly old Z3 will miraculously transform into a 5 series.

jimmyjam
02-27-2011, 04:48 AM
I think the camera guy spit the gum at him, and he picked it up and ate it... hehe

2001sri
02-27-2011, 05:05 AM
I think the camera guy spit the gum at him, and he picked it up and ate it... hehe

haha you could be right :iagree:

sydster
02-27-2011, 06:37 AM

:iagree:

Exactly the same thing I noticed, a piece of clay that came off and he put it in his mouth. LOL!

:eek::eek::eek: