PDA

View Full Version : New guy from NC

Phil_M
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi all, so glad I found this place. Want to get into detailing as a hobby and who knows - if it goes good, maybe a few on the side. I am currently in the market for a buffer machine and am pretty sure I want the PC. A friend got the Griots recently and he says he likes it a lot. Anyone have recommendations.

JohnnyC
12-12-2010, 07:52 PM
:welcome::autowash: Your going to love it here. i have the pc and couldn't be happier.

dad07
12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
:welcome: From NC

VR8
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Welcome Phil. The Porter Cable, the Meguiar's and the Griot's should be pretty comparable. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

FastZR1
12-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome... I started with a PC and still using it with great results.

slickooz
12-12-2010, 09:29 PM
:welcome: The Griot's DA does a great for beginners.

Mike Phillips
12-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi all, so glad I found this place. Want to get into detailing as a hobby and who knows - if it goes good, maybe a few on the side.

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

I am currently in the market for a buffer machine and am pretty sure I want the PC. A friend got the Griots recently and he says he likes it a lot. Anyone have recommendations.

All three are similar, actually the Meguiar's and the Griot's and all the other's that will be introduced into the future are knock-offs of the Porter Cable unit.

Here's the deal and I double checked this while we had all 3 polishers running last week when we buffed out an extreme makeover, with 5.5" pads, you really can't stop the rotation of the buffing pad when you use good technique.

Good technique = Holding the pad flat to the painted surface.

With a 5.5" pad, the Griot's and the Porter Cable are almost like a safe version of the rotary buffer because you really can't stop the pad from spinning, so in essence they are doing the same thing a rotary buffer is doing only they still have the safety feature of the Free Floating Spindle Assembly.

Personally, when I go out into the garage I tend to grab the PC, I like the fit and finish and it's compact size. I remove the handle and get to work.

:)

outlawtim
12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Welcome Phil, My name is Tim from Greenville NC

Finemess
12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Hello from Hendersonville, I have the Griot's and love it.

Flash Gordon
12-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekonline :props:

I personally have the Griots 6" polisher and love it to death. Sometimes I sleep with it I love it so much :buffing:

Order today and shipping is free Im the MAN

bodavenport
12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Welcome, I live in Elizabeth City and I am a big fan of the Griots polisher. I use 5.5 pads on it and love it.

Bunky
12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Welcome from Raleigh.

Phil_M
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I know I'm going to enjoy this forum.

Think I've got it between the PC or Griots with 5.5" LC Pads. Leaning to Orange, White, Black and Blue.

BTW, I'm working on 2005 Solara Black Metallic that has been neglected for too long.

I now just need to figure what product to use. Open for suggestions here also.

Mike, thanks for the great videos, I viewed a few today and learned a lot.

Thanks again to all,
Phil

sal329
12-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Welcome from Winston Salem NC