PDA

View Full Version : IPA after Wolfgang Finishing Glaze ? (and before DGPS?)

mg6045
12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I decided to buy a bottle of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze to use as my finishing polish after Menzerna SIP. I did this because I plan to use Wolfgangs paint sealant often (as i have a full bottle).

I'm did this in hope of these 2 last step products working well together with there so called chemical compatibility.

So now the question is do you think its a good idea to use an IPA wipedown (or Menz top inspection) after using the WG finishing Glaze, and before applying there sealant ?

Or is there finishing glaze setup to work with there specific sealant right after polishing ?

I know there is no right or wrong here, but what do you guys think ?

ScottB
12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
You can indeed do a wipe down between the finishing polish and the sealant. I have also noted no difference in moving directly to Wolfgang Concours straight from their polishes.

Redneckmafia
12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Won't that defeat the purpose if you use a IPA wipe down.I would think that would remove the glaze and you are back where you started. I am by no means a master detailer but I know others will chime in with more answers....

ROMEO
12-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Won't that defeat the purpose if you use a IPA wipe down.I would think that would remove the glaze and you are back where you started. I am by no means a master detailer but I know others will chime in with more answers....

I think, in this case it would be ok since wofgang finishing glaze is more like a light polish.

Kurt_s
12-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Similar to Killrwheels, I have found no difference in sealant performance between applying DGPS directly after polishing with FG3.0 or using an IPA wipedown.

You can use the IPA wipedown after FG3.0 but I feel that an IPA wipedown is more imporant to check the correction step.

ScottB
12-11-2010, 11:28 PM

The product title is used rather lightly on the product. Finishing Glaze is actually a finishing polish (light) and not a true glaze.

Redneckmafia
12-12-2010, 03:59 AM
The product title is used rather lightly on the product. Finishing Glaze is actually a finishing polish (light) and not a true glaze.
Gotcha...Learn something new every day...

mg6045
12-12-2010, 11:39 AM

It was already answered but to confirm again,

the wolfgang finishing glaze is a pure polish with no wax, fillers or silicone.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, Wolfgang finishing polish, polising glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html)

its obviously easy to get them confused considering WG uses the term "glaze" in the product name. Why they do that is puzzling.

mg6045
12-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Similar to Killrwheels, I have found no difference in sealant performance between applying DGPS directly after polishing with FG3.0 or using an IPA wipedown.

You can use the IPA wipedown after FG3.0 but I feel that an IPA wipedown is more imporant to check the correction step.

thank you for your input.

in this specific case i'm talking of here, I am prepping a brand new car, that I hope (once it arrives) is going to have very little imperfections. In this car my intention is to use the polish to basically help clean off the paint and prep it up for a sealant.

Da Fats
12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Using a rotary or DA?

DA I'd say IPA is much less of an issue... with a rotary i check with IPA after the final step to find those ghost like little halograms that only show themselves in bright sun at odd angles... but I'll be the first to admit my rotary technique, while improving, is not perfect... so I need that wipe down and final check.

BobbyG
12-12-2010, 04:17 PM

This is actually an important piece of information. By the title I would automatically assume that it was indeed in the glaze category.........