PDA

View Full Version : Washing in the rain....

YankeeFan
12-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I haven't been able to wash my car for 2 weeks and cannot do it today because of x-mas shopping. However, I can do it tomorrow but its suppose to rain. Any issue with washing in the rain, chance of additional swirls from the rain? I can dry it in my garage but I do not want to incur more swirls as I have kept them at a small amount right now.

Thanks,
Howard

Flash Gordon
12-11-2010, 12:16 PM
I haven't been able to wash my car for 2 weeks and cannot do it today because of x-mas shopping. However, I can do it tomorrow but its suppose to rain. Any issue with washing in the rain, chance of additional swirls from the rain? I can dry it in my garage but I do not want to incur more swirls as I have kept them at a small amount right now.

Thanks,
Howard

About the only way my car will get washed is if its raining and I have nothing to do. No, there will be no harm washing in the rain, just pull it in and dry with a leaf lower and quality M/F and you will be fine :props:

Well technically you will want to get the car under cover with the quickness because rain water can contain dirt. I have now confused myself. I failed :cry:

daveinsweethome
12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
living out here in oregon i dont have much choice. i do it all the time. but i think our air quality is a little better than say pittsburgh. no offense steeler fans.

CEE DOG
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I actually prefer to wash my daily drivers in the rain. (NO SUN) So I don't have to pull out canopy or get up early. They stay outside 24/7 anyway... So I wash them and don't dry them if its raining when I plan to wash them anyway.

DaHen
12-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I do it often. (Well, if its a warm rain.)
After all, ya get a good rinsing.

hooked
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
For those that do wash in the rain, what cleaning solution are you using? Car Wash Soap or an ONR type product? Isn't there a risk that the rain water might be diluting the solution too much to be effective or cause the lubricants to not do their jobs?

And how heavy a rain are we talking about here? I can see an occassional sprinkle every few minutes would be okay. But a steady rain...

Rhudeboye
12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I do it often. (Well, if its a warm rain.)
After all, ya get a good rinsing.
:iagree:

I use to look fwd to it. It like having nature help you wash your car. Neighbors sure thought I was crazy.

CEE DOG
12-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I've never done it in a pouring down rain. I just like the clouds being there. Actually, strike that I did do 2 cars at one in a pretty heavy rain once. I didn't have any issues. The mf Chennile wash mitt holds a ton of solution (I think I was using DG or Megs GC) and I don't spend much time on the car before I go back, rinse, and get more solution. It wasn't an issue for me. The ratio of water hitting my mitt compared to the amount of fresh solution on my mitt every 60 seconds +/- was pretty much nothing.

smalltrees
12-12-2010, 07:39 PM
For those that do wash in the rain, what cleaning solution are you using? Car Wash Soap or an ONR type product? Isn't there a risk that the rain water might be diluting the solution too much to be effective or cause the lubricants to not do their jobs?

And how heavy a rain are we talking about here? I can see an occassional sprinkle every few minutes would be okay. But a steady rain...

I am Seattle... so i too will wash vehicles in the rain...
it is not a downpour, or as my Father called them, duck drowners
I am not worried diluted wash solutions...
sure makes the neighbors look at me funny though...
the joys of having a white car...

DaHen
12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I use a good car wash product such as Meguiar's, Pinnacle or Wolfgang. I figure that in the short time that the car is being washed, its not gonna dilute the wash that much.
No, I wouldn't be out there in a torrential downpour, perhaps a light steady rain. Course, if I step out of the wading pool while in my swimming trunks, I don't mind a heavier steady rain.

STi05'
12-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't even bother drying when I wash in the rain. I mean really why?

slickooz
12-12-2010, 09:44 PM
If you have a garage, I would just rinse the car outside then use waterless wash soap. Use it with a spray bottle and use a nice MF and your car will look great.