PDA

View Full Version : Clear-bra

Emm
12-11-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm looking into getting a clear-Bra. I live in Northwest Indiana, anyone know where I can get it done?

boatmangc
12-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Not a fan, I had total clear coat failure using the clear-bra on my 2006 MB.
My hood rusted from underneath the bra. I had to re-paint my hood and the tops of both front fenders.
Although it was most likely faulty paint I would never do another vehicle I own.
My .02

Emm
12-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Not a fan, I had total clear coat failure using the clear-bra on my 2006 MB.
My hood rusted from underneath the bra. I had to re-paint my hood and the tops of both front fenders.
Although it was most likely faulty paint I would never do another vehicle I own.
My .02

Thanks, I've never heard of that type of problem with the clear-bra. I had it on my 2004 GTO with no problems.

RLove
12-11-2010, 08:07 AM
There are two different ways to go with clear bras. I had the heavy vinyl one applied to my Audi TT and although it protected pretty well, it wasn't very nice looking over time. It collected dirt around the edges that worked in underneath and then the corners would start peeling up, and it was $800. On my Lexus I had a different version applied. A higher-end body shop disassembled part of the front of the car, (we drove directly from new car delivery to the shop) and sprayed a thick, but fairly soft clearcoat over the bumper cover, halfway up the hood, and the mirrors. There is a very faint line across the hood that follows the styling - other than that it's invisible. It has protected my black paint nicely from all but two fairly large rock hits. This came in right around $1K to apply. This was the better choice in my opinion. I treat this bra just like any other paint.

Meghan
12-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I wish I had done it to my Chrysler 300, too late now, front end is in need of Dr ColorChip.

BobbyG
12-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I've often thought that someone should come out with a "resilient" spray on clear that could be applied over the area then let cure. This would serve as a "rubberized" coating that would protect the painted surface thus ensuring its survival....

FUNX650
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey EMM.......have you already purchased the clear bra yet? If not I have some info on these.

Emm
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey EMM.......have you already purchased the clear bra yet? If not I have some info on these.

No I haven't I was looking for a place to buy and install it.

FUNX650
12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok. There are many companies offering 'clear bras', but there's only three manufacturers of this film---3M, Clear Defender, & XPel. XPel is the only one that has a 7 (seven) year warranty on their film. You can buy pre-cut kits or bulk rolls and they have a network of factory-trained installers. I have installed some of their pre-cuts on my Corvette and have never had any problems with the 'clear bra', etc. The biggest and best feature of XPel film is that you can remove it and re-install using the supplied tools. Go to their website @ XPel.com and take a look.

AlPap
12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I had Porsche put the clear bra on my car and I'm glad I did it. The dealer threw in the option in the deal which was around 1k. I use Expel products to keep it in pristine shape.

FUNX650
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
:iagree: Yes. Their paint protection film sealant/polish is the best. My clear bra has saved me from many potential debri thrown incidents.

shipkiller
12-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I have the 3M Invisabra on my White ///M Coupe and have found it was the best money spent on protecting the front end and side rockerpanels I have spent. The side rocker panels were covered with one continuous sheet from wheel to wheel.

I have had 10 track days this year with the Invisabra installed and there is NO marks on the front or sides of the car...

If installed by a authorized 3M installer, then there is a five year warranty against yellowing, cracking and bubbling.