PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

astrogus
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I was using my Griots Garage wheel cleaner the other day and thought of something. Is it possible to make a regular liquid wheel cleaner into a gel wheel cleaner by adding a gelatin powder or some sort of thickener to it? Might be a dumb question but was just curious.

Black Car
12-11-2010, 11:10 PM
good question. I have no idea but am very interested to find out. be sure to let us know if you try it.

JonMiles
12-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm sure it's possible but you would more than likely lose some effectiveness. The people who make these wheel cleaners spend a lot of time formulating them to work as planned without any negative side effects. The emulsion systems and concentrations of different solutes are designed to be effective with eachother, and by adding anything else to the solution there is a chance of interaction between chemicals that could be caustic, poisonous, volatile, and possible explosive.

For instance if you are using a wheel cleaner formulated with hydrofluoric acid and various surfactants, then go and add something with ammonia in it; you will have a major incompatibility leading to the evolution of hydrogen gas which ignites at the slightest hint of heat.