PDA

View Full Version : Detailing glass.

Big boys toys
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm new to auto geek but must say there are some extremely knowledgable people on here.
Here is my question. You detail a car, compound, swirl marks removed, wash it, wax it , do the wheels, tires and now we have the GLASS.
I have tried many different methods to clean glass both inside and outside, but are constantly chasing streaks. I have tried many types of glass cleaners, and also used different types of towels and even tired news papers , someone commented that the ink in the newspaper reduces the streaks.
Does anyone have great luck with any particular cleaner or secret towell?????
I also typically rain X the glass outside and inside , some people like the stuff.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Brian

LuxuryMobile
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Have you tried a waffle weave glass towel? I have had luck with these.

Also, any particular reason that you apply rain-x to the interior of windows? Might be more work then its worth. My knowledge of rain-x is that it acts as a sealant or wax but for a windshield; it helps repel water. This might not be necessary for the inside of windows.

john F
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey Brian,

You might want to try this kit we have: Diamondite Perfect Vision Glass Combo includes Diamondite Perfect Vision Glass Cleaner and Cobra Microfiber Glass Towel. Clean auto glass windshields (http://www.autogeek.net/dipeviglco.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2133_70835821

The waffle weave glass towels hold a great amount of moisture to avoid streaking. They are definitely worth a try:props:

bmw5541
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm new to auto geek but must say there are some extremely knowledgable people on here.
Here is my question. You detail a car, compound, swirl marks removed, wash it, wax it , do the wheels, tires and now we have the GLASS.
I have tried many different methods to clean glass both inside and outside, but are constantly chasing streaks. I have tried many types of glass cleaners, and also used different types of towels and even tired news papers , someone commented that the ink in the newspaper reduces the streaks.
I also typically rain X the glass outside and inside , some people like the stuff.
Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to AG. You will find many different methods and many different products are used. Glass cleaning is one job that most detailers or weekend warriors absolutely hate. It is very difficult to get the windows streak free. One tip that I have learned here is clean the outside windows in one direction, and the interior windows in another. This way, you can tell where the streaks are.

As for the products I use, I love Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate. So far, this is the best glass cleaner that I have tried. Stonners Invisible Glass is a good one as well.

When cleaning, I like to use a terry cloth to clean, and then polish with a dedicated microfiber glass towel. Never use the same towel to clean and polish.

As for RainX, that is intended for the exterior only.

Hope this helps.

BobbyG
12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Brian

Hey Brian,

I like most have used just about everything under the sun for cleaning my glass but rarely was I satisfied. I'd spray it on and go through allot of paper towels but I'd always had streaks.

Like you, after joining the Autogeek community I found one thing in particular that made a HUGE difference; a Microfiber Glass Towel. These towels do what no paper towel has ever been able to do; clean without streaks!

The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

For quite some time I used Stoners Advisable Glass. This always worked well but now I've added another product to my detailing arsenal; Meguiar's Glass Cleaner. I like the way Meguiar's Glass Cleaner cleans and I think it's a bit stronger than the Stoners product.

The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber. (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html)

This combination will leave your glass clean and streak free....:props::props:

A4 1.8tqm
12-09-2010, 02:23 PM
A tool like the Glass Master Pro (http://www.autogeek.net/glmaproco.html) and good glass towels like The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel (http://www.autogeek.net/ww1627.html) sure help. The Glass Master "like" tool I have uses Velcro to attach the pads, but I usually just slap a MF towel on it. I forget who to credit for this, but a great tip is to do the final wipe in only one direction. Meaning wipe the inside vertically and the outside horizontally (or whatever direction you choose). That way if you find a streak you know immediately weather it is inside or out.

Another thing is to clean glass in two steps, first step is for the actual cleaning. With lots of glass cleaner on the towel, I like to get the outer perimeter of the window first (turn towel, more cleaner), then go for the rest. Step two is for worrying about getting it streak free. New towel, only a little cleaner. This time wipe in one direction only.

MonoPed
12-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Stoner Invisible Glass aerosol and the green glass towels from Walmart work great for me. Sometimes ya have to clean twice to get the inside of the glass totally clean, but once it is clean, it's easy to maintain a streak free finish.

aznwhip
12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Most quality glass cleaners are fairly similar imo. Stoner IG, DP Krystal Vision, Diamondite Perfect Vision, DG 761, 1Z Windscreen Clean, CG Crystal Clear, etc, I've tried them all. Some do slightly better than others, but it's minor. Main thing I've noticed is technique and media. Use two WW glass towels, one to clean, one to buff dry.

oldmodman
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I read a post on here where using Klasse All In One on the windows was discussed.

I haven't had time to try it yet but it sounded like it did a wonderful job on glass. just as it does on paint.

But up until now I have been very happy with using Stoners Invisible Glass spray. And a micro fiber for removal and polishing.

longdx
12-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I read a post on here where using Klasse All In One on the windows was discussed.

I haven't had time to try it yet but it sounded like it did a wonderful job on glass. just as it does on paint.

But up until now I have been very happy with using Stoners Invisible Glass spray. And a micro fiber for removal and polishing.

I have used Klasse AIO on the outside of windows with great results. For interior, I have resorts to using Stoner's IG, or NO Streek. The Diamondite kits look appealing too. (I have yet to try them)

ScottB
12-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I like DP Glass Restorer personally ...

Perfections
12-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Meg's glass cleaner, have two mf glass towels, properly folded to get the most cleaning sides available, with any mf regardless of quality once it gets dirty it's gonna streak, next spray the window with enough product to cover the window, go over with your cleaning towel once, not back and forth because your not trying to dry it, then with your drying towel go over the little bit of solution that should still be on your window for a streak free window, the cobra ww's are great and the glass master tool is a plus, just put your mf's on it. Flip your mf to a clean side and repeat process.