PDA

View Full Version : So that I have this straight......

Pages : [1] 2

YankeeFan
12-08-2006, 03:29 PM
........let's say I use Duragloss #106 Bonding Agent first, then apply #105 Polish, then apply Natty's Blue Wax. The question is..... how does a "glaze" fit into this picture? When is it applied and what does it do that the other 3 do not?

Howard

Mike T
12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
The Glaze would go on before you wax. Glazes are used to add more pop, plus be a filler for fine marring and scratches.

ryandamartini
12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I wouldnt use a glaze under duragloss. It will hamper the bonding of 105 and you wouldnt get the full durability DG offers.

FloridaNative
12-08-2006, 05:56 PM
The glaze would go over a sealant and under a wax. :)

ScottB
12-08-2006, 06:05 PM
I too would forgo (cancel) the glaze when using toppers over a sealant. The carnauba (Nattys) will add noticable wetness, and you wont be filling anything since a paint sealant sits on top and effectively seals the paint. So ...wasted time and product in this venture.

Also note, some glazes can be slightly abrasive. XMT, VMG, RMG can all remove some/all wax or sealant so tread lightly with them. Megs #7 is about the only pure glaze I can note quickly.

YankeeFan
12-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I too would forgo (cancel) the glaze when using toppers over a sealant. The carnauba (Nattys) will add noticable wetness, and you wont be filling anything since a paint sealant sits on top and effectively seals the paint. So ...wasted time and product in this venture.

Also note, some glazes can be slightly abrasive. XMT, VMG, RMG can all remove some/all wax or sealant so tread lightly with them. Megs #7 is about the only pure glaze I can note quickly.

So, with that said, is there a "filler" that can be applied prior to 106 and 105?

Howard

ScottB
12-08-2006, 06:46 PM
not really, 106 is as close as your going to get. Seems more of a bonding agent with cleaners, versus fillers, so your paint should be properly prepped (clay and polished to perfection) prior to its use.

YankeeFan
12-08-2006, 08:45 PM
not really, 106 is as close as your going to get. Seems more of a bonding agent with cleaners, versus fillers, so your paint should be properly prepped (clay and polished to perfection) prior to its use.

Huh........now you got me. With 105 being a polish.......what am I doing......polish, then use 106, then use 105. What do the properties of the first polish need to be?

Howard

jsfofec
12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Huh........now you got me. With 105 being a polish.......what am I doing......polish, then use 106, then use 105. What do the properties of the first polish need to be?

Howard

I believe that 105 is a sealant. They say polish, but it's a sealant. When I used 105, I bypassed the bonding agent because I had used Meguiar's #80. I read that the Duragloss chemists said 105 works fine on top of #80 and I also read that it works fine on top of KLASSE AIO.

I used #105 on top of Meguiar's #80 on my daily driver in September, and water still beads up just like it did when I first applied it, and the car feels just as slick. About every 3 weeks, I apply a coat of aquawax.

ScottB
12-08-2006, 10:06 PM
correct, both Zaino and Duragloss use the term "polish" rather loosely, they are infact synthetic waxes or sealants.

Surfer
12-08-2006, 10:15 PM
That's always confused me, not sure why some companies call their lines Polishes. I read something that said years and years ago waxing was considered polishing b/c of how hard some waxes were or something to that effect. But that's kinda odd since companies like Megs or One Grand have had carnaubas since way back in the day and called them waxes, Blitz wax is still similar to what it was back then.

ltoman
12-09-2006, 01:20 AM

question for ya scott - xmt carnuba glaze - what is it for then? it is still abraiding the surface?

Mike T
12-09-2006, 08:58 AM
question for ya scott - xmt carnuba glaze - what is it for then? it is still abraiding the surface?
Ever so slightly. It takes down the edges of fine scratches and swirls, while filling them in a bit. Makes them less noticeable. Plus delivers a nice shine and finish before you wax.

ScottB
12-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Ever so slightly. It takes down the edges of fine scratches and swirls, while filling them in a bit. Makes them less noticeable. Plus delivers a nice shine and finish before you wax.

correct, think a finishing polish, some light filling, and some very light carnauba protection. Thus why we all suggest topping it with a pure carnauba for better protection afterwards.

ltoman
12-09-2006, 04:15 PM

I see. Thank you!Im the MAN