PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a 04 Cady tomorrow and have a couple questions.

ShineTimeDetail
12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I have someone with a 04 cady that has heavy swirls and small scratches everywhere. First question is how hard is the clear coat on it?

Second question is on the rear wheels in the center it kinda looks like brake dust but I tried scratching it with my finger nail but nothing comes off. He. Had a caliper go bad and it wore the pad down to metal so it was metal to metal for a few days or maybe even weeks. Could it just be fromt he metal flakes?

Also he has suede seats and its my chance to play with them to see if I can clean them up safely. If I can't he's just going to get them recovered. It has ink from blue jeans along with ink pen stains..

Thanks for any advise in advanced!

LuxuryMobile
12-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Typically Cadillac's have fairly hard clear coats but still workable.

Its possible that there are metal flakes baked on to the wheels. May come off with a good apc and wheel brush.

Sheds is tricky, don't have any real suggestions there.

Flash Gordon
12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I have someone with a 04 cady that has heavy swirls and small scratches everywhere. First question is how hard is the clear coat on it?

Doesn't really matter at this point. Just get it done

Second question is on the rear wheels in the center it kinda looks like brake dust but I tried scratching it with my finder nail but nothing comes off. He. Had a caliper go bad and it wore the pad down to metal so it was metal to metal for a few days or maybe even weeks. Could it just be fromt he metal flakes?

Sounds like a wheel bearing leaking. That stuff can be very difficult to remove. Try straight APC, clay, adhesive remover, Krud Kutter and prayers. Bottom line is you have your work cut out for you. This car sounds like its in horrible condition. Just do the very best you can under the circumstances

Also he has suede seats and its my change to play with them to see if I can clean them up safely. If I can't he's just going to get them recovered. It has ink from blue jeans along with ink pen stains..

Thanks for any advise in advanced!

Don't even waste your time trying to clean ink off of suede. Get that stuff wet and it smells like horse @ss

Good luck and post up some pics when your done :Picture:

rwright
12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
You may want to try a wheel acid to break up the grime, just be careful. Shop around, there are many.

ShineTimeDetail
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm a little afraid of acid wheel cleaner...to hazardous it seems

rwright
12-08-2010, 09:26 PM

It can be. Don't spray it on and let it dwell for an excessive amount of time. Each situation will be different. If you're in a pinch and don't have time to degrease, clay, polish, just wash it, hit it with a little acid in the trouble area then wash it again. When you're pressed for time a product like this can be very handy.

rwright
12-08-2010, 09:30 PM
And let me add, don't use it on bare aluminum wheels or powder coated wheels. Most stock wheels will be ok, just use sparingly.

Flash Gordon
12-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Your very smart to be afraid :props:

It can be. Don't spray it on and let it dwell for an excessive amount of time. Each situation will be different. If you're in a pinch and don't have time to degrease, clay, polish, just wash it, hit it with a little acid in the trouble area then wash it again. When you're pressed for time a product like this can be very handy.

Richard, I'm not trying to be a butthole, you know that I love you and allBUT, its not so much damaging a hucap that concerns me as much as the acid doing serious and irreversable damage to your lungs. That stuff should only be used wearing a respirator IMO...FWIW...OMG...YMMV :)

rwright
12-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Richard, I'm not trying to be a butthole, you know that I love you and allBUT, its not so much damaging a hucap that concerns me as much as the acid doing serious and irreversable damage to your lungs. That stuff should only be used wearing a respirator IMO...FWIW...OMG...YMMV :)

:props: but it's very effective...

ShineTimeDetail
12-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Where do I buy a respirator and how much do they run?

Flash Gordon
12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
:props: but it's very effective...

Yes it is :props:

Thank you for not getting terribly upset with me. If you only knew the struggle I go through trying to explain something to someone, whilst trying to stay polictally correct..ie FAKE. Its just not in me. What you see is what you get. No surprises here :righton:

Grizzly
12-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Where do I buy a respirator and how much do they run?

The detail wont be worth doing if you buy it.

Crazy Amos
12-08-2010, 11:15 PM
If the majority is on the hub cap pop it off and hit it with acid really quick. If inside, take it outside and spray it and just hold your breath until the over spray clears, let sit for about 5 seconds and spray off. It will work fast so pay attention. Make sure it is cool to the touch if not and you use it it will ruin instantaneously. Then clay the rest of the wheel. Sounds like the cap can only get better and a little acid won't hurt plus it will save you Alot of time. Acid is a last resort so use at your discretion-if it needs it it needs it and can almost guarantee it will work. I've used for the same thing and worked wonders before. Wear a long sleeve shirt and some gloves. Make sure you dilute it correctly as well. Good luck!

DARK HORSE
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Actually a decent respirator isn't expensive at all (well worth the slight cost) and a multi purpose one like this can be used in numerous applications. Also check your local Home Depot, Lowes, or paint and auto body store.

Amazon.com: MSA Safety Works 817663 Multi-Purpose Respirator: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009363G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001UHYUT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SNXJ4FD22SVK4E8YT2Q)