PDA

View Full Version : Finnishing glaze vs paintwork polish enhancer

Pages : [1] 2

fj610
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi guys, first post here. My car is 6 months old and is a metallic orange Ford Focus. From day one i prepped the paint with clay, paintwork polish enhancer and DGPS. Its time for a strip down and with my new PC7424, i bought the WG finnishing glaze. I was wondering should i use the FG this time with a white pad on the PC instead of the PPE to remove the old sealant and prep the paint. As it is, the paint has no swirls or scatches thanks to autobathe and a foam gun each wash. Since there is nothing really to correct, should i skip the FG and just use the PPE? Think there will be any difference? This time around ill be using Fuzion as my LSP.

thanks

CEE DOG
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
If there are no swirls or scratches then just use the PPE.

mg6045
01-01-2011, 11:02 AM
while I agree with Cee Dog, there could be another thought process to this approach.

If you use the Wolfgang finishing Glaze instead of the PPE, you will amp up the gloss, and potentially level the paint on a very small micro level. Which will lead to a smoother surface that shines better in a true way.

You can use the PPE to achieve similar results, but its temporary. If you do it with the FG, its a permanent gloss and leveling (on an extremely small scale) of the paint.

With such a "fine" polish like WG finishing Glaze or Menzerna 106 or 85RD, i'm one of those people that believe that the look of the paint will benefit from using these polish's every so often even if the paint has zero defects. These polish's are so fine that you could potentially use them once a month without degrading the paint. And you will see a lot of benefits.

I use light polish's like the ones I mentioned even without surface defects. You will see a major amp up of the gloss (plus my clear coat is hard as a rock on all the cars I maintain. - 3 BMW - 1 VW - 1 Audi - 1 Jeep.)

Kurt_s
01-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Prewax paint cleaners can do amazing things for paint by chemically removing contaminants and oxidation that you didn't really know existed. I got into the habit of using one before waxing throughout the 00's. If the paint does not have swirls and scratches, it should be all you need.

On the other hand, WG finishing glaze 3.0 does a very nice job of amping up the gloss and removing minor defects. If your new Focus has never been treated to a nice polish like that by you, well you might just make it "Happy Happy" as Emeril would say.

You can always use the FG and then use the paintwork polish enhancer if you are becoming even slightly OCD. It is disease that you get when spending too much time on this forum.

fj610
01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, i will try the FG on a white CCS next time around. The photo below is PPE followed with one coat of Fuzion. Like usual, the photo doesn't do it justice!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/YamahaDOC/focus.jpg

ScottB
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
As offered one is a chemical cleaner (paintwork cleanser lotion) and other is an abrasive polish (FG). Both have benefits but very different products indeed.

Kurt_s
01-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, i will try the FG on a white CCS next time around. The photo below is PPE followed with one coat of Fuzion. Like usual, the photo doesn't do it justice!

Looks pretty good without a finishing polish.:props:

As offered one is a chemical cleaner (paintwork cleanser lotion) and other is an abrasive polish (FG). Both have benefits but very different products indeed.

Indeed!

ScottB
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I have always been a fan of the two most popular paint cleansers (Pinnacle, P21S) and often suggest it heavily with those not polishing or choosing to even go to machine. The prep well and they leave a beautiful finish.

rwisejr
01-01-2011, 06:42 PM

That looks outstanding. the color really pops !!!! The car really looks amazing.

Dubbin1
01-01-2011, 07:59 PM
When you said orange and Focus I thought for sure it would be one of the ugliest things I would ever see. Boy did that picture prove me wrong, that is a cool little car :dblthumb2:

arenared
01-01-2011, 09:44 PM
that is a cool little car :dblthumb2:
:iagree:
Looks HOT! Love it.

sohail99
01-02-2011, 02:38 AM
I'd love to see how it looks with a coat of banana armour on it! :D

mg6045
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM

I love the color !! Audi offers the same color on the TTS and R8, they call it Solar Orange. I think it make the Focus look like a totally different car. I like your choice !

mg6045
01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I have always been a fan of the two most popular paint cleansers (Pinnacle, P21S) and often suggest it heavily with those not polishing or choosing to even go to machine. The prep well and they leave a beautiful finish.

I have been using the Wolfgang line of products but recently bought some Pinnacle stuff I have not yet used.

Do you think I should go out of my way to get the Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion ? Does it behave or work any differently than the WG PPE ? in your opinion ?

fj610
07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi all, i wanted to update this thread. I recently did a full strip down including a clay (which wasn't really needed), and decided to try the Finnishing glaze on a white CCS.

In all honesty, my jaw dropped! i literally looked down at the bottle to make sure i wasn't using 3.0 DGS after i wiped the FG off. Ive never seen the paint look so good, and thats without a LSP. The gloss and extra gold flake i didn't know i had came from nowhere. I followed up with Fuzion (i was going to use DGS but couldn't bring myself to) and the results were incredible, far better than when it was brand new from the dealer. I think this particular colour really rewards the use of good prep and a wax rather than a sealent.

Anyway i highly recommend anyone in a similar position to myself to give the FG a try, im very happy i did and it is very user friendly too. MG6045, you were right on the money champ :props: