PDA

View Full Version : Claying in 33 degree temps.

Pages : [1] 2

tuscarora dave
12-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I just came back in the house to warm up for a while. Yes my fingers are kind of feeling hot right now because 10 minutes ago they were feeling very cold. It's 33 degrees out there and I have this vehicle until Friday evening so I can get it done on the one hour on and one hour off shifts. Anyway....

A few weeks back it was getting cool outside, maybe 53 degrees or so and the S.M. Arnold purple medium grade clay that I was using at the time was getting really hard to keep soft. I normally work on vehicles that haven't seen much if any care in the past so I normally use a medium grade clay. I also have Clay Magic Red medium grade clay but usually avoid using it because it is too soft and my fingers go through the clay too quickly not to mention all the red clay that gets stuck to my fingers.

However, today with the temps near freezing I got to thinking "how am I possibly going to get this truck clayed?" Well I grabbed the red stuff and started kneading a piece and was surprised at how soft it was for having been sitting in my van all night long at 28 degrees.

It turns out that this red clay works great in this cold weather. It stays soft even on the freezing cold panels that I was just claying. I tried to get the whole truck clayed in one setting but my fingers couldn't take it.

Just wanted to pass on the word to the rest of you mobile guys who are crazy enough to be working in the freezing temps.

bmw5541
12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
I feel your pain Dave. I am also in the North East, and the weather is getting real cold. I did a detail last weekend in 33*F. My nose was running and I was numb for a few hours.

ScubaCougr
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Doesn't ice formation kind of screw with the slickness of the clay lube?

I'm balking at doing my own car in high 40-degree temps.
/Grew up in Michigan
//Hates snow.
//where's the 'chattering teeth' icon?

Flash Gordon
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I keep two pieces in seperate baggies and keep them in my front pants pocket. Your body heat will help keep them plyable. Just rotate as the bar becomes stiff. Also, try to have the panels your working on facing the Sun. This will insure the surface will be warm to the touch

The other day I was at the store. I reached in my pocket for my cash and pulled out a baggie of clay. Everyones eyes immediatelly gravitated towards the baggie. I held it up and told them it was a product I use for work. Not real sure if everyone believed me

SeaJay's
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
I actually just packed up all my detailing stuff for the winter and brought it inside (garage isn't heated). Took my detailing yard sign down, the past two days have been heart breaking!

I hate winter and everything about it! I really need to move south..I'm considering it..anyone looking to buy a house in MA? lol

I'd rather sweat my butt off while I'm detailing than not be able to feel my hands and face!

dad07
12-07-2010, 05:03 PM
I actually just packed up all my detailing stuff for the winter and brought it inside (garage isn't heated). Took my detailing yard sign down, the past two days have been heart breaking!

I hate winter and everything about it! I really need to move south..I'm considering it..anyone looking to buy a house in MA? lol

I'd rather sweat my butt off while I'm detailing than not be able to feel my hands and face!
go south young man wayyyyy south! I hate the cold too left upstate N.Y. 15 years ago and came to N.C. and with the temps we are having now i didnt move as far south as i wished we had.LOL I'm thinking sub-tropical right now!

Black Car
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I put really hot water in my wash bucket and throw the clay in there when it gets too hard. The hot water loosens it right up.

tuscarora dave
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Doesn't ice formation kind of screw with the slickness of the clay lube?

I'm balking at doing my own car in high 40-degree temps.
/Grew up in Michigan
//Hates snow.
//where's the 'chattering teeth' icon?
I left my ONR clay lube mix in the van last night and at 28 degrees all night it didn't freeze and it wasn't freezing on the paint either.

SeaJay's
12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
go south young man wayyyyy south! I hate the cold too left upstate N.Y. 15 years ago and came to N.C. and with the temps we are having now i didnt move as far south as i wished we had.LOL I'm thinking sub-tropical right now!

I'm working on it! My girlfriend who I own my house with is all about it. Thinking about Florida, maybe Melbourne. We'll see. We've always talked about moving some where warm. She wants Hawaii but I think the logistics of moving to Florida is much more reasonable. Plus I can detail year round! That is what is really drawing me into it right now. Not being able to detail most of the winter is awful! I have a 1 car garage but not a lot of room in there.

05xrunner
12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I know how you feel..My new GT500 spoiler is coming in tomorrow..I was out in my garage removing the old one..then I had to give the trunk a quick buff because some marks I got here and there from the fishing line cutting the adhesive getting the stock spoiler off. I have to say I grabbed a white pad, my flex and menzerna power finish..first time using menzerna and wow that stuff is awesome..it removed the small scratches quick and left an awesome looking finish. But yes I was freezing my butt off in my garage

BobbyG
12-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Dave,

This time of year all of us up here in the Arctic Tundra watch with envy as our brethren to the South bask in sun and warm temps detailing their favorite rides. In an attempt to not be outdone, we work in frigid temps warming our supplies trying desperately to maintain our cars and trucks.

As the temps drop and the snow and cold tightens its icy grip, all but a few are forced to hibernate until spring, and the cycle begins once again.

dougaross
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Dave,

This time of year all of us up here in the Arctic Tundra watch with envy as our brethren to the South bask in sun and warm temps detailing their favorite rides. In an attempt to not be outdone, we work in frigid temps warming our supplies trying desperately to maintain our cars and trucks.

As the temps drop and the snow and cold tightens its icy grip, all but a few are forced to hibernate until spring, and the cycle begins once again.
Sounds like the nature channel :xyxthumbs:

slickooz
12-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah it sucks working in the cold. Today it was in the in the 20's I don't know how I'm going be working in this weather. Did you use any compound or polish in this weather?
Still trying to find a garage I can work in.

tuscarora dave
12-08-2010, 01:33 AM
I was using the sample of Optimum Poli-Seal that BigAl3 sent me and it worked fine and wiped off easily and whether or not it crosslinks properly, it couldn't be any worse than the paint being all full of dirt and fallout with zero protection. Tomorrow I am going to play around with a few compounds to spot polish this truck before going over the whole thing with Poli-Seal.

slickooz
12-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Let me know how the compound and polish works out.