PDA

View Full Version : Which line of products is best !

Pages : [1] 2

Big boys toys
12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
I detail cars and boats. I'm curious to what line of products that people like and use regularly. I have a cabinet with every product known to man it it. Every time I do a project rescently I end up polishing with Finess It II, it takes two or three passes to get the surface corrected. I us a rotary buffer with a white foam pad. Leaves no swirl marks, then I wax with Maguires yellow canuba paste wax. My mission is to wash the boat or vehicle, buff and wax it in a short amout of time. People want a clean car or boat done inexpensively often they want to pitch in and assist. I find that perfectly acceptable, now they realize the effort put in to get it looking good. This saves me time and them money. it takes time to bring a surface back to a nice shine. Then most people do not take care of it and it comes back two years later needing to be cut again and waxed.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Brian

Meghan
12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh I can't wait for these answers! I think this is a preference question, some like sealant based lines, some like waxes, some detail for a living so need to go with inexpensive lines, some give their cars a show car treatment.... there is no simple answer.
Just depends on your task at hand and what you like working with...

Flash Gordon
12-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Meguiars by a long shot :xyxthumbs:

I do like some Menzerna products though :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
IIRC the Finesse-It polishes also contain fillers, and I don't think the II has much cut, really. If you are taking too many passes to correct the finish, you probably need to go to a stepped approach, starting out with "compounding" and then moving to "polishing". IMO it's not that you are using the "wrong" brand, it's that you are using the wrong "technique". If you have ever sanded wood, you know that if you start with 400 you're not going to take much off...and if you do it all with 80 grit you're going to have a rough surface. So you need to rough sand, then medium sand, then finish sand. It's the same with paint, you need a coarse polish to remove defects and then need to step down to refine the finish. Fortunately there are many new products which reduce the number of steps from the old days.

zliegen
12-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Meguiars, Optimum, Ultima, DP, Dodo Juice, Pinnacle, 3m, all good lines and all have some products that are better and some worse than their competitors. Sticking to 1 line is not worth it when other companies make better products in some areas than others, you are selling yourself short by sticking to 1 line.

CEE DOG
12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Sticking to 1 line is not worth it when other companies make better products in some areas than others, you are selling yourself short by sticking to 1 line.

I agree
Heres a few of my favorites:
Ultima, Wolfgang, Optimum, Duragloss, Poorboys, Meg's, Menzerna.

Polishes: Menzerna, Megs, and Wolfgang
Sealants for all surfaces: Ultima (I love their entire line though... car wash, waterless wash,etc)
Working in the sun: Poorboys
Innovative and provide products at a great price: Optimum
Excellent products at a great price: Duragloss

...And yes Tad, how did you know I would mention Ultima? :laughing:

bmw5541
12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I would have to say Optimum, Meguiars and Poorboys.

Dubbin1
12-07-2010, 11:48 AM
...And yes Tad, how did you know I would mention Ultima? :laughing:

LOL bro he's not the only one ;)

Shawn T.
12-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Meguiars

BUT

if I was really rich, all Pinnacle, Wolfang, XMT and DP.

oldmodman
12-07-2010, 01:09 PM
The best stuff in the world is whatever I just got from Autogeek.

Gotta justify blowing all this dough somehow. Or all I will hear is:nomore:

bodavenport
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Optimum, Ultima, Megs, Zaino these are my top ones. Several others out there though. I agree with Meghan about job at hand and personal preferences.

Perfections
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Optimum, Meg's

JonMiles
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
For vehicles with wheels; Ultima, Menzerna, and Four Star

For Boats; Gel Coat Labs, Four Star

Rob T
12-07-2010, 08:18 PM
This question comes up pretty regularly, eh?

ArticZ
12-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Wolfgang, DP, Pinnacle.