PDA

View Full Version : TV experts, I need you!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike T
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to shop around for a new living room TV for my wife and I. We currently have a huge 32in CRT looking thing. We're interested in a 42-47" flat screen, either LCD or plasma. Price range $650-800.

Researching these is making my head spin. There are so many TV's around. This is going to be primarily used for digital cable TV. HD isn't a huge factor to me. Also sound quality is important.

Anyone have a recommendations, feedback, advice? All appreciated.

Scott DeBrun
12-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Comsumer Reports.

rwright
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
For your budget I would say Vizio. Their new LED line is actually a very nice line. Go to Vizio's website, don't just shop Walmart. If you can squeeze more out of your budget then go for Samsung LED.

JRH
12-06-2010, 04:27 PM
I in no way am claiming to be an expert, but I have the Panasonic 42 inch Plasma and I have absolutely no complaints. Looks good in HD, especially in 1080i. I am not sure how much these tv's run right now, but when I bought mine it wasn't too much more than the high end of your range. If you do get a bigger HD tv, I recommend a HD cable that runs from your cable box to your tv. It makes a difference. Just my two cents for what its worth.

Scott DeBrun
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
One thing I have encountered with flat screen tvs either plasma or lcd is that the speakers suck. I've got my plasmas hooked up to an Onkyo and Sony surround sound. Also the price is going to hinge on what kind of goodies you want like led,1080i, and refresh rate. Good luck. Also don't forget hdmi cables as well.

Rhudeboye
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
From my research, I rate them as follows.

Samsung A+
LG A+
Sharp Aquis A
Sony A
Panasonic A-
Phillips B+
Toshiba B
Visio B

As I watch them in stores the colors on the A+ sets pop more then the others. The New Samsung 3D in 1080 is awesome. If I were in your shoes I would shoot for that. Black friday deals had them as low as $1200 for 50" screen. After Xmas expect those deals to return.

That said, this is a lot of TV for the money and I rarely shop best buy as I get better prices everywhere else.
Best Buy - Computers, Video Games, TVs, Cameras, Appliances & More (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+50%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9887422.p?id=1218189764175&skuId=9887422)

rakkvet
12-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I love my Samsung. I think you'll love the fact that the flat panel weighs at least a 1/3 of what your CRT does.

Mike T
12-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Comsumer Reports.

That is one of my guides. But when I dive deeper into reviews of the models they recommend, the reviews are hit or miss. Some people love them, some hate them.

john F
12-06-2010, 04:49 PM
One thing that most people don't take into consideration is the distance between them, and the TV.

Take a look at this, it may help

Choosing Screen Size and Placing Your TV (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2BLShCVmbZX/learn/learningcenter/home/TV_placement.html)

C. Charles Hahn
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
As I watch them in stores the colors on the A+ sets pop more then the others.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make as a consumer is to base your entire opinion on watching the screen/picture in the store. Most of the time the sets on display in the store aren't calibrated and adjusted properly, and the lighting conditions on the store shelf are nowhere near accurate to the conditions you'll have in the room where you mount and view the TV at home.

For the most part, you'll find that the actual screens themselves on many models are exactly the same, the only differences are the bezel/casing, onscreen user interface, and the number and type of inputs and outputs.

I would suggest buying based on the aesthetics of the particular TV, if it has all the inputs/etc. you need, and if you like the onscreen interface. Picture quality can often be tweaked/tuned/calibrated to your liking once you've got it mounted on the wall at home.

A4 1.8tqm
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Ever consider a DLP TV? Generally they are less expensive and larger (but can't be hung on a wall), when the bulb burns out in a few years it's free with a good warranty (or just get a new one on Ebay cheap). I have 2 DLP Projectors and a 65" DLP TV, love 'em.

Don't bother with a 1280x720 max display resolution unit, IMHO.

If sound really is important to you, you can forget about the built in speakers on any unit you look at. Even if one TV has WAY better built-in speakers than another TV, it doesn't matter, a good surround sound system is the way to go... unless sound isn't really important.

Mike T
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to consider everything. Its so hard to pick one.

slickooz
12-06-2010, 05:21 PM
If your looking for a T.V. and budget is kind of tight. I would recommend Plasma. When I was researching last year to buying a T.V. the plasma I read got really hot. I'm sure the newer plasma aren't like that anymore. But plasma are cheaper then LCD and LED.
Best Buy - Computers, Video Games, TVs, Cameras, Appliances & More (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+42%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9761068.p?id=1218168619373&skuId=9761068)

slickooz
12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
You can also pick up Polk Rm6750, its a 5.1 system but you also need to get receiver and speaker wires. Its a good budget system.

This is what I started with.
http://images.blu-ray.com/htgallery/39828_full.jpg

BobbyG
12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a Sony XBR LCD but I was very impressed by the Samsung. You can pick up a nice surround sound setup reasonable priced especially at this time of the season.