PDA

View Full Version : Noob car detailing question

cbgreco
12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I had a question regarding the order of products I should use. I recently purchased the Klasse All-in-one and the high gloss sealant as well as the Pinnacle complete interior/exterior car care kit. The kit comes with a paint cleanser and I'm wondering when I should use that, if I should use it at all. Help me put the following products in the right order or eliminate products I don't need to use. After washing and claying the car, here's what I did:
1. Klasse All-in-one
2. Klasse High Gloss Sealant
3. After the sealant, I covered the car and waiting two days for the sealant to set and the rain to stop.
4. I washed and used Pinnacle paint cleanser (which I feel removed the sealant)
5. Pinnacle Souveran paste wax
6. Pinnacle Souveran detailing spray.

I feel like the cleanser was an unnecessary step and maybe I should have used the cleanser or a swirl remover before using the Klasse products. Also, would waxing right after applying the sealant be a bad idea? What do you think? Please help this noob out. Thanks

Mike Phillips
12-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I feel like the cleanser was an unnecessary step and maybe I should have used the cleanser or a swirl remover before using the Klasse products.

Correct.

Compounds, Paint Cleaners and any polishes with cleaning or abrading ability should be used before any protection products are applied.

The Klasse AIO is a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant for all our DO members and functions like using a paint cleaner except it also leaves some protection behind.

Also, would waxing right after applying the sealant be a bad idea? What do you think? Please help this noob out. Thanks

You can apply a wax shorty after applying a sealant but the issue of discussion is will applying something "liquid" to something recently applied simply dissolve the previously applied product and remove it.

That's why in a perfect world you want the first product to have time to fully set-up after you've wiped off the excess and for most products a window of time about 12 hours is recommended.

If you can't wait or don't want to wait then apply when you can and use a gentle touch and a soft applicator pad.

Here's why...

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

What are you working on?

:)

Mike Phillips
12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Lots of articles and videos in the links in my Signature Line...

:xyxthumbs:

cbgreco
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Thank you so much for welcoming me and answering my questions so promptly Mike. I am working with a 2010 Acura TSX that is dark grey. I did read some of your how-to's and watched a few DIY videos and they were a BIG help. I did wait to apply the wax, but unfortunately, I applied the paint cleanser and it removed some of the shine created by the Klasse products. I already found a lot of help on this topic in the articles you linked me to. Thanks again. I look forward to contributing and learning a great deal from this forum.