PDA

View Full Version : How are my selections? Any errors in my thinking?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dispense
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I have been doing a lot of research on AGO and have made some product choices for my vehicle.

First and foremost I want to protect my new 4Runner. In 10 years I want it to look as good as it does now.

I have come up with these products based on quality/reputation, durability and ease of use (important! I don't always have much time on my hands).

Interior - Ultima Interior Guard Plus (can be applied to every type of surface)
Sealant - Ultima Paint Guard Plus (WOWA)
Wax - Pinnacle SSII (Silver Metallic paint)
Wheels/Tires/Trim - Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus
Rubber seals - 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege

I left off the prep work items like wash, clay, paint cleaner etc. on purpose.

I figure these should get me through the first year before I make any adjustments or try something new. I don't think I'll have any issue with the satisfaction of protection from these.

Anything I need or don't need? Anything that I forgot and should have?

Thanks!

BobbyG
12-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Good luck with the new 4-Runner! :props:

I'd add only a couple of things.

Detail Spray
Quality Spray Wax
Glass Cleaner
Assortment of Microfiber towels

Dubbin1
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
All of those are great choices but I would pick something other then UTTG for the tires only because it is so expensive. DP tire gel would be a good choice.

Joe in PA
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Despite it being a brand new vehicle, you are still going to need some stuff to wash it with (2 buckets, 2 grit guards, wash, wash media), a mild clay and possibly a mild polish, all-in-one product and/or a paint cleaner. The paint of a new vehicle is rarely in perfect shape and it would be a shame to use those nice LSP on paint that isn't in the best shape to bond with them.

JonMiles
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Awesome choices with the ultima line for protection. You may want to prep the vehicle with ultima products as well for a synergistic process.

Ultima Interior Shampoo is great for prepping the interior for UIGP

Ultima Paint Prep Plus is also good for prepping the paint, it helps the Paint Guard Plus to bond and last longer.

For the Tires, Ultima may not be the best idea, it costs too much for tire applications. You may like the four star tire protectant. It is an easy spray application and lasts a long time.

RTexasF
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I too would go with something less expensive for tires....Poorboy's comes to mind. Do you really need the wax when using Ultima Paint Guard Plus? By the time you open the wax and find an applicator you could be halfway through with another coat of UPGP. To each his own but I don't see where the wax is necessary, that amount could be spent on something else. I have found microfiber covered sponges (supplied) to be superior when applying UGPG for what it's worth.

Dubbin1
12-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I too would go with something less expensive for tires & trim.

We were talking about not using it on tires, its and excellent product for trim and I would still recommend getting it. Corey even suggest using it on the rims.

RTexasF
12-05-2010, 03:38 PM
We were talking about not using it on tires, its and excellent product for trim and I would still recommend getting it. Corey even suggest using it on the rims.

I changed to just tires after I reread it, I agree with you.

dispense
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I have already bought a Pinnacle SSII kit, so I have quite a few goodies that came with it. Cobra MF towels, wash, paint cleaner, detail spray etc.

That's also why I am going to use the SSII wax. But I see your point about not needing it and simply applying more UPGP. :xyxthumbs:

To make the SSII last longer I do need the spray wax though; is it important to stick within a brand when using a wax like SSII (like Souveran Liquid spray wax)?

Thanks for the tips on tire care, I'll definitely go with something cheaper and in more volume since it'll be used more often.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Thank you for your help!

RTexasF
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Best of luck on the 4Runner project. My oldest nephew just bought one and loves it.

rwright
12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Your list sounds like an excellent decision to me. I will be the outcast and say the Ultima Tire & Trim Guard is a good decision on the tires. Yes it is expensive but a little goes a long way. I have nothing against a tire gel such as DP Tire Gel, I love the stuff! But let me ask you one question, would you want to apply a tire gel to the wheel too? Probably not. The cool thing about UT&TG is that you can apply it to your wheels first and then move straight to your tires. No need for 2 different products or applicators.

Your protectant materials are important, but what is just as important is your prep materials. Make sure that you keep good, clean wash media on hand. Items such as wash mitts, pads, etc. do break down after a while. That doesn't mean you have to buy several wash mitts at once. Instead just make sure you keep an eye on them, watch for wear, debris sticking to the fibers, etc. We cannot harp on quality microfiber towels enough. They do matter, whether you're using them to dry with or for quick detailers, a low quality towel can increase the potential for marring or scratching.

If you want to apply Ultima Paint Guard Plus and then top it with wax, then do it. If you read enough threads and posts you will see people say they layer with sealant for maximum protection and wax over top for extended protection or even chasing a different look. Honestly, the only product I wouldn't layer would be a nano sealant such as Optimum Opti-Coat, CQuartz, or GTechniq. Have fun and happy detailing! :xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Awesome choices with the ultima line for protection. You may want to prep the vehicle with ultima products as well for a synergistic process.

Ultima Interior Shampoo is great for prepping the interior for UIGP

Ultima Paint Prep Plus is also good for prepping the paint, it helps the Paint Guard Plus to bond and last longer.

For the Tires, Ultima may not be the best idea, it costs too much for tire applications. You may like the four star tire protectant. It is an easy spray application and lasts a long time.

John is spot on with the Ultima Paint Prep and Interior Shampoo. I love their Wash and especially their new concentrated waterless wash. This can replace a Detail Spray. You dont need the Sig II as much as the Paint Prep IMO. 1Z Cockpit Cleaner is a good sub for UIS if you want to buy all from AG, I prefer DG 531 Marine UV over 1Z Gummi and its much more cost effective IMO. Get some Aquapel for your windshield too.

Old Tiger
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I too would go with something less expensive for tires....Poorboy's comes to mind. Do you really need the wax when using Ultima Paint Guard Plus? By the time you open the wax and find an applicator you could be halfway through with another coat of UPGP. To each his own but I don't see where the wax is necessary, that amount could be spent on something else. I have found microfiber covered sponges (supplied) to be superior when applying UGPG for what it's worth.
Agree 100%!

Old Tiger
12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I have already bought a Pinnacle SSII kit, so I have quite a few goodies that came with it. Cobra MF towels, wash, paint cleaner, detail spray etc.

That's also why I am going to use the SSII wax. But I see your point about not needing it and simply applying more UPGP. :xyxthumbs:

To make the SSII last longer I do need the spray wax though; is it important to stick within a brand when using a wax like SSII (like Souveran Liquid spray wax)?

Thanks for the tips on tire care, I'll definitely go with something cheaper and in more volume since it'll be used more often.

I really appreciate the feedback!

Thank you for your help!
Use the UTTG for tires until a good Tire Gel, e.g., DP goes BOGO again. BTW

DP TG is my favorite FWIW
The Pinnacle Spray Wax is awesome and pretty much streak free.

Rsurfer
12-05-2010, 05:20 PM
All of those are great choices but I would pick something other then UTTG for the tires only because it is so expensive. DP tire gel would be a good choice.:iagree:Plus it looks no better than DP. Another good choice for a tire dressing is Optimum gel. I'm a big fan of UTTG, but its too expensive for tires.:xyxthumbs: