PDA

View Full Version : How many pads?

MonoPed
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
My first AG order included a six pack of LC 5.5 flat pads, 2 orange, 2 white, 2 blue. After reading through the forums more, it seems like y'all use alot more pads per car than that. So, using WG TSR and WG FG with the PC7424xp, how many orange and white pads are typically needed for the job? Thanks!

ScottB
12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I personally suggest a minimum of two per car per color. I switch pads at 1/2 point for a fresh pad, sometimes more often with heavier polishes. You also want to consider two for each polish so if doing a three step polishing you will likely want 6 minimum and perhaps more of the aggressive pads. If you will do more than one vehicle before being able to clean/dry pads then double it.

twistedframe
12-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Depending on the size of the vehicle I use 3-5 pads per correction step. Also I only use specific sealants on a dedicated pad, like I always use the same pad to applie powerlock.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I go with 2 each :buffing:

Sent from my keyboard via my index finger Im the MAN

barryscott
12-06-2010, 12:46 AM
Sent from my keyboard via my index finger Im the MAN[/QUOTE]

LMAO :xyxthumbs:

Kurt_s
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
I often either switch or clean pads every major section when doing heavy correction. For me, that often means hood, roof, trunk and the two sides (5), just for compounding. Once the heavy correction is complete, I normally only need a couple of polishing pads for each polish, plus a red pad for applying each LSP.

Mike P suggested in a thread yesterday to consider compounding pads for each side door and front and back quarter panel to speed up the process. When the sides are heavily oxidized or swirled, 2-3 pads per side might well speed up the process greatly as Mike commented.

SeaJay's
12-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I typically use 2-3 pads for heavy cutting, and then use 1-2 for my 2nd step, 1 pad for my sealant, and 1 pad for my wax.

I usually clean my pads on the fly while I'm doing my cutting. I'll clean it on the fly and then switch the pad to a new one to ensure that there isn't too much heat build up. The pads can get very hot.

Mike Phillips
12-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Similar question came up in a recent thread, here's page 4

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/30816-newb-need-help-asap-pc7424xp-4.html

When it comes to detailing cars... more pads is better...

But you do what you can with what you have and of course there's a difference between how many pads a person might use if they were doing show car detailing versus production detailing...

:)

TLC Auto Detail
12-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Depending on the size of the vehicle I use 3-5 pads per correction step. Also I only use specific sealants on a dedicated pad, like I always use the same pad to applie powerlock.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
I agree, generally for a car that isn't totally hammered I use about 4-5 pads for compounding and 3-4 for final polishing. Then throw in an extra one for applying sealant.

I go with 2 each :buffing:

Sent from my keyboard via my index finger Im the MAN
You don't want to know what I used to send this message...

Similar question came up in a recent thread, here's page 4

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/30816-newb-need-help-asap-pc7424xp-4.html

When it comes to detailing cars... more pads is better...

But you do what you can with what you have and of course there's a difference between how many pads a person might use if they were doing show car detailing versus production detailing...

:)
How would the number of pads differ from a show car to production detailing? I'm not trying to be difficult, but I put the same effort and amount of products into every car I detail whether it's a camry for the little old lady down the street, or a totally custom trailer queen show car.

Mike Phillips
12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
How would the number of pads differ from a show car to production detailing?

Great question and I figured someone would ask this question... everyone is different so everyone can do things how they like, no rules in concrete but here's a few reasons why to use more pads versus less pads...

Clean dry pads rotate better than wet pads on a DA Polisher that uses a Free Floating Spindle Assembly. The OP is using a tool with a Free Floating Spindle Assembly.

Clean pads are clean, they are not contaminated with,

Spent product

Removed paint

Anything else that comes off the paint or out of the body seams, etc., while polishing. Switching to a clean dry pad more often just helps you reduce the potential for anything negative to happen.

Those are off the top of my head...

I tend to hammer the point of "Working Clean" home all the time, whether it's on the forum or in a class. This would apply to pads also. You can clean pads on the fly, or wash them or scrape them with a nylon brush but you can switch to a clean dry pad "if you like". Personal preference.

One thing for sure, if anyone is using a first generation DA Polisher then clean DRY pads ALWAYS rotate better than wet, saturated pads, this enables the person using the first generation DA Polisher to work faster and more efficiently.

See these two articles...

How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-ability-1st-gen-porter-cable-dual-action-polishers.html)

The Definitive How-To Article for Removing Swirls, Scratches and Water Spots Using a Porter Cable 7424XP, G110v2 or Griot's Garage Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-definitive-how-article-removing-swirls-scratches-water-spots-using-porter-cable-7424xp-g110v2-griot-s-garage-polisher.html) - Includes Videos

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I put the same effort and amount of products into every car I detail whether it's a camry for the little old lady down the street, or a totally custom trailer queen show car.

Sounds like something I wrote...

The Mindset of a Professional Detailer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20551-mindset-professional-detailer.html)

And here's my article on the Free Floating Spindle Assembly

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

Great question!

:xyxthumbs: