PDA

View Full Version : "Tis the season" ... to Respect Each Other

Pages : [1] 2 3

ScottB
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Happy Holidays to all, and I hope no matter the holidays you celebrate that you are safe and enjoy them and the spirit in them. I hope you reconnect with friends and loved ones and you take some time and really look back as to what you have been to others and if you have really added something special or of benefit to others. People that give of themselves and truly help others move forward are often missed and loved most.

I have been a forum moderator since the advent of the AutogeekOnline community. I have watched good people come and go. I have also watched others leave without their own accord as they didnt always see eye to eye with the forum and design. It was never done out of spite and many a time we tried to repair or move forward. We will never share these issues with others and we always miss those that have moved on.

It doesnt matter if you are a professional, weekend hobbist, or just a visitor that needs a little help on one specific project related to car care. We all need to respect each other and realize that we are all different and the internet doesnt always portray what we have attempted correctly. Its being human and respecting this, perhaps challenging it softly and in the correct venue, thats brings us all to an understanding. And sometimes we will agree to disagree.

It should also be noted on just how much the forum has grown and how each of you molded it, and helped design its direction. Many great members have added to others excitement in detailing and attempting these projects with great success. We now see over 400 posts daily and about 1/2 are by newer members asking our senior members for help and best products and techniques. Bravo for taking the time to help and truly respect our neighbors both near and far.

This holiday season and going forward I ask you all to take a minute and re-read your posts. Drop any past issues or hard feelings and start fresh. Raise a glass to just how much we all love to visit here daily, weekly and monthly. I truly wish you all a happy and safe holiday season and I only ask that my gift this year is a common respect for each and every forum member. Things happen and we dont always like it, but together we can get past it and continue to make this a fun and great place to visit with good friends (and family). With all those other forums changing and having challenges this year, I truly feel that AutogeekOnline has the best members and you are all a very big part of it. Bring on the holidays and 2011 ...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!

Finemess
12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Happy holidays all. Thanks to all for all your help and great ideas this year. A happy, shiney and clean 2011 to all.

dispense
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM
The mutual respect and professionalism here is well above most boards I frequent. Truly a great community you all have here!

I look forward to learning more and more..maybe even contributing some day. :buffing:

Streetlife
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I love the post killrwheels. I would like to wish everyone happy holidays, and a gleaming 2011.:props:

Shawn T.
12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I would hope that every season is the season to respect each other.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and to anyone celebrating other holidays, I wish you all the best!

mountain-worm
12-05-2010, 11:56 AM
"God bless us all."...even those @#%& birds flying over your car.

BobbyG
12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Scott,

Well said!

It is the Holiday season and I for one am coming up on my 1 year anniversary here at Autogeek Online. It was merely by accident I came across this site but as I started reading some of the posts and especially some of the tutorials written by Mike Phillips I found they fit and fill in some of the blanks or questions I've had so naturally I became a member.

Autogeek is a comfortable place to ask questions. There's a pleasant camaraderie here and an atmosphere that promotes and encourages involvement and participation. The staff and customer service folks are first rate and first class...Max, it's Christmas, give these folks a raise.....

Words

Words and sentences are comprised of thoughts, feelings, and emotions. All to often we forget that the words we type are read and interpreted by someone else.

Accurately conveying your thoughts through words so the reader interprets them properly is a learned skill and sometimes learned the hard way. This is a great reason to write as if you are the reader; what exactly is it you want them to walk away with? How many times have you typed something only having to explain; "that's not what I meant".

Now I'm not into group hugs or tree hugging but I've always found it's easier or natural to be nice, to be the opposite requires effort.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/christmas10.gif

LuxuryMobile
12-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Great post.

I hope eveyone enjoys the holidays.

rwright
12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Great thread! I love the Christmas season! :dblthumb2:

I have a question though, does this mean banned members will be reinstated?

C. Charles Hahn
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I think there are really just a few basic things we all need to keep in mind to help keep the peace:

-Check your ego at the door -- remember it doesn't matter who you are, who your friends are, what your impact is on the industry, what position you hold either within the Autogeek organization OR its customer/fan base, what terms you've coined, how few or many "articles," "posts," or "replies" you've written, or even your "posting history" in general. Everyone here has something to contribute.

-Even when we disagree with others, it is important to criticize constructively or just ignore the posts/people we don't like. Having disagreements is just a part of life on a discussion forum, and those disagreements can either make the community stronger or they can tear it apart. Constructive discourse is the best way for anyone to learn; flaming and destructive commentary never result in any teachable moments.

-If you feel you HAVE to have a more heated disagreement with someone, keep it off the public board. That includes passive-aggressive comments and indirect threats.

I know that I've been guilty of not following some of these guidelines myself from time to time (nobody's perfect, after all) but I've learned over many years on various discussion forums that it really is necessary to keep them in mind as much as possible.

Obviously our reputations are very important to all of us, but it should be equally important to us that we put aside sounding our own horns and letting our pride dictate our posting habits for the good of everyone here. We are all equals here -- lets put forth the professionalism to prove it.

Just my $0.02

Dubbin1
12-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Happy Holidays Everyone :wave:

Jason
12-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Just want to apologize for closing this thread, but on Sundays I like to tend to my family. I'm have delete the post that have gone off topic on this thread and lets see if we can get back on topic.

Dubbin1
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Not sure why my post was deleted...

I'll just post it again

Happy Holidays Everyone :wave:

rwright
12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Just want to apologize for closing this thread, but on Sundays I like to tend to my family. I'm have delete the post that have gone off topic on this thread and lets see if we can get back on topic.

My question was more along the lines of a second chance for other members. I was not trying to start anything and it was not directed to one specific person. Anyway, Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday if you don't celebrate. :dblthumb2:

Jason
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
My question was more along the lines of a second chance for other members. I was not trying to start anything and it was not directed to one specific person. Anyway, Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday if you don't celebrate. :dblthumb2:

Thast why i left the post up.