PDA

View Full Version : Ultima tire and trim guard plus

Pages : [1] 2

Dr Oldz
12-03-2010, 10:46 PM
It's off backorder and mine got shipped today! WOOOHOOO!!! I can't wait to try this stuff! Everyone seems to love it so far! I hope it doesn't run like other products when it gets rained on!

CEE DOG
12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
It's off backorder and mine got shipped today! WOOOHOOO!!! I can't wait to try this stuff! Everyone seems to love it so far! I hope it doesn't run like other products when it gets rained on!

It will NOT run. I need to post some more pics of it on my bumper over two months old now.

JonMiles
12-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Just put a fresh coat of it on all the plastic on my jeep; looks great, beads well, will not run...very resilient high quality product.

kona6
12-04-2010, 12:30 AM
My favorite product for exterior trim hands down. It doesn't run at all, but will bead water like there's wax on your trim... kinda cool actually. Its very durable! and remember to apply sparingly a little goes along way. One slight issue I had is that it smears on very smooth plastic, like on my side window sills. It doesn't seem to want to dry after being applied and wiped down, not sure if anyone else experienced this? Still, this is an excellent product.:dblthumb2:

JonMiles
12-04-2010, 12:33 AM
My favorite product for exterior trim hands down. It doesn't run at all, but will bead water like there's wax on your trim... kinda cool actually. Its very durable! and remember to apply sparingly a little goes along way. One slight issue I had is that it smears on very smooth plastic, like on my side window sills. It doesn't seem to want to dry after being applied and wiped down, not sure if anyone else experienced this? Still, this is an excellent product.:dblthumb2:

I have noticed the same thing, but if you are patient it will dry after a little while. Then you can buff the streaking out with a damp (very slightly damp) microfiber.

kona6
12-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I have noticed the same thing, but if you are patient it will dry after a little while. Then you can buff the streaking out with a damp (very slightly damp) microfiber.

yep, I learned to just leave it alone for a while, haven't tried the slightly damp microfiber yet..theres always next time in about two,three, four months or whenever it gives up the ghost and stops beading!. My car is garaged so I see this kind of durability.

ScottB
12-04-2010, 09:15 AM
The only complaint I have on it is two things:

1. Try to apply an EVEN coat. If you over apply it and allow to dry you can see some variances in color. Make sure area is completely dry no water should come in contact or seems to show variances in color too.

2. On tires specifically it seems to attract and capture dirt. Strange but park away from lawn men with blowers.

Now for the real good:

One of my great friends owns an Xterra and it has alot of plastic trim. It faded badly and products like BlackWow and Poorboys were more temporary of a fix. He relucantly tried Ultima as I suggested it (he was NOT enamored by the price)around 6 weeks ago. Just last night he asked me how to order a bottle. The trim is still a beautiful black even after sitting outside 24/7. He wants it as his Xmas gift. He especially loved that it did not run or streak on paint at all.

BobbyG
12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I may have to try these Ultima products, they're probably the only product Autogeek sells that I don't have! :laughing:

But my fear is if it lasts that long then I won't be able to detail all that often, then how will I pass the time? :laughing:

I love detailing, been doing it for 40 years....sick huh?

pfix
12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
This is one of those products that had a WOW! factor for me. I have been using it for several months now on my new cars as well as my 10 year old pickup that has spent its entire life outside.

It restored faded trim that my PBTR could not handle and it lasts for many, many weeks.

It does not like water when its being applied so I found it is best to wait for dripping to subside from the cracks and crevices before applying.

A quick buff with a MF towel will take care of any uneven appearance.

It was good on my tires but I just got a gallon of Optimum gel to try so I don't run through my UTTG too quickly.

BobbyG
12-04-2010, 09:55 AM
It was good on my tires but I just got a gallon of Optimum gel to try so I don't run through my UTTG too quickly.

There are three great products that come to mind for tires;

Pinnacle Black Onyx
DP Gloss Tire Gel
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

CEE DOG
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
UTTG application is different depending on the surface.

For porous surfaces: Apply very thin (Just like with their paint sealant) and walk away.

For Non-porous surfaces like chrome, or rims or some plastics you wipe on (very thin as stated), allow to sit, and then buff off.

Scott, I actually got opposite results from the tires. I had UTTG on Sky's tires for a couple months and they never looked dirty.

Bobby, save yourself a little time working on your car and spend it playing with your car. :) Seriously though, if those two things mean the same thing then you have a point!

zliegen
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
There are three great products that come to mind for tires;

Pinnacle Black Onyx
DP Gloss Tire Gel
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

These are all good but I think that he'll be quite happy with the gallon of Optimum Tire dressing that he just bought. Optibond is my favorite, pfix, if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

pfix
12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
These are all good but I think that he'll be quite happy with the gallon of Optimum Tire dressing that he just bought. Optibond is my favorite, pfix, if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

I have yet to be dissapointed by any of my Optimum products purchased to date: ONR, Opti Clean, Hyper Spray Polish and Compound, Spray Wax, Optimitt (hope to try this weekend but man its cold and car is still pretty clean)

I almost bought the DP Gel on Bogo but the Optimum Gel gallon was cheaper per ounce than the 2 bottles BOGO(64oz.) of DP plus I got 15% off so that brought the price down to around $30.00 a gallon. (20 dollars for 64oz. vs 30 dollars for 128oz.)

After reading Corey's Review/Comparison of the 2 I can't justify the added expense of the DP for what appeared to be subtle differences.

I would like to try some of the DP tire gel for comparison. It's too bad they don't offer it as a sample

akimel
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM
This is my favorite exterior trim dressing. I applied it to the trim and cladding of our CR-V in the first week of October. The car has seen some good mileage, several rainstorms, and several washings. UTTGP is still going strong. The trim and cladding look great. I do not know if it will take me through the entire winter, but we shall see.

I do not use UTTGP on the tires. Because of how expensive it is, I prefer to use it exclusively on the trim--plus I already have several tire dressings that I need to use anyway.

Until this fall, I have been using Ultima Paint Guard Plus on both paint and trim. I am now wondering what I will do in the spring. The advantage of the UPGP is that one can cover the entire car in one easy application. The UTTGP requires a bit more work. Hmmm ... what to do?

GTPpilot
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm amazed by this stuff. Trim looks fantastic of course, but I cant believe how well its holding up on tires. Put it on about 3 weeks ago and tires still have nice color and sheen even with serious rainstorms. If other products are better, the water based stuff I usually use will be gathering dust sitting on the shelf. This stuff is amazing.