PDA

View Full Version : Close to the real thing.... almost...

Pages : [1] 2

Excessive Detail
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
The Foam Cannon, or Foam Lance is by far is one of the best detailing investments, in my mind, you could have in your detailing arsenal. I mean the things awesome, I personally dont own one, have used it before, but at $120.00, its something I dont have the money for right now. I have looked around on ebay and found them a lil cheaper, still kinda pricey, anyways, I was walking through Home Depot yesterday and stumbled upon something, and I figured what the heck. Under $20 I figured it would be worth a try. In short, wow, very impressed, not as good as its big brother, but for $20, im keeping it. Ill let the pictures be the judge, so check it.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1513.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1507.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1508.jpg

It seems to be built pretty sturdy and durable, the bottle is approx. 8 oz, and the stream can be adjusted for a fan spray or a straight stream, the lever at the top adjust the amount of foam, I just left it on max. I played around with mix ratios, the pics below are 4 oz of CG Wash Clear and the rest water. Yes takes a lil more than the foam cannon, but it last just as long, foamed the entire car 3 times and still had plenty left. As for the foaming action, not as think or clingy as a the cannon, but better than a foam gun, better coverage. I was very impressed, here are some pics.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1510.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1514.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1511.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/ExcessiveDetail/DSCN1512.jpg

Well, hope ya like it, pretty happy with it, may still one day buy the real thing but for now ill stick with this.

twistedframe
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
thats cool, but a foam lance/gun is by no means "one of the best detailing investments". I have one, but it's more for a cool factor than the fact that it does all that much. I'm sure it helps a little bit, but it is by no means a necessity.

DARK HORSE
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with Dave, these are pretty cool and can be a lot of fun to use, but are not a necessity. Congrats on your new toy. They are definitely fun, and do have the ability to impress customers.

tag4car
12-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I love mine, I've tried some megs gc and dc so far and its doing good

Scott DeBrun
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
This may be a dumb question but don't you use a wash mitt after the foam bath?

twistedframe
12-03-2010, 09:11 PM
you can, but most people use foaming as a prewash to remove loose dirt and debris.

Excessive Detail
12-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Mostlly yes, I have at times not used a mitt, mainley for removing dust after polishing, but for the most part. Normally I presoak once to remove all the heavy stuff, then pressure was off, then soak again and clean all the cracks and crevices, wheels, wheel arches, etc.... then hose off, then soak one more time and leave it on while im washing.

longdx
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Thank you asking this question. I really wasn't sure what role this played in detailing. So, is this basically a pre-soak prior to an actual wash? and if so, how long are you supposed to let the foam dwell (or is that weather dependent)?

twistedframe
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Thank you asking this question. I really wasn't sure what role this played in detailing. So, is this basically a pre-soak prior to an actual wash? and if so, how long are you supposed to let the foam dwell (or is that weather dependent)?

About 5 minutes or so, maybe more if its really thick foam. You'll know when to rinse it off when the foam has all dripped off.

newb001
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Again, to confirm, are most people foaming the car, letting it sit for a few minutes, rinsing, and then doing a normal 2bm wash (i.e. 2 totally separate steps)? Or are you foaming, and then washing a few minutes later using the foam as the soap (no 2bm, just 1 rinse bucket)?

fishnugget
12-03-2010, 11:54 PM
To all the foam lance/cannon users would you say its more necessary for a black car? My car marrs easily. I am currently looking at buying one, thanks.

Excessive Detail
12-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Definately, and the key would be that after doing a presoak and rinse, ya know to get of what you can without touching the paint, but refoam the car and/or each section while washing, the more suds the better to saftely lift away anything that would mare the paint and more lubrication between the wash mitt and the surface, in my experience no matter what type of faoming devices you have it makes all the difference.

To all the foam lance/cannon users would you say its more necessary for a black car? My car marrs easily. I am currently looking at buying one, thanks.

Excessive Detail
12-04-2010, 12:54 AM
With all do respect, I have to completely disagree with you on that, i have seen a foam cannon do amazing things with dissolving stuff from paint, of course with regards to what you used to foam with, but I have presoaked cars before with a foam cannon and then rinsed and got about 99% off before actually washing, which then made hand washing that much safer, and faster. Its just my opinion, the less you have to actually touch the paint the better, plus the foam can get into tight areas you cant to break up dirt and grime, and when using it after buffing a car to get all the dust and residue, well you almost dont have to even touch then paint then. So to me any tyoe of foaming device is a good investment. Agian, I say that with all do respect, not tryig to start anything.

thats cool, but a foam lance/gun is by no means "one of the best detailing investments". I have one, but it's more for a cool factor than the fact that it does all that much. I'm sure it helps a little bit, but it is by no means a necessity.

Excessive Detail
12-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Foam presoak, rinse, foam again and leave it on while washing, the more faom/suds the better, I have been able to presoak and then refoam and just use those suds to wash no buckets, and of course no swirls after.

Again, to confirm, are most people foaming the car, letting it sit for a few minutes, rinsing, and then doing a normal 2bm wash (i.e. 2 totally separate steps)? Or are you foaming, and then washing a few minutes later using the foam as the soap (no 2bm, just 1 rinse bucket)?

DARK HORSE
12-04-2010, 01:05 AM

With all do respect, I have to completely disagree with you on that, i have seen a foam cannon do amazing things with dissolving stuff from paint, of course with regards to what you used to foam with, but I have presoaked cars before with a foam cannon and then rinsed and got about 99% off before actually washing, which then made hand washing that much safer, and faster. Its just my opinion, the less you have to actually touch the paint the better, plus the foam can get into tight areas you cant to break up dirt and grime, and when using it after buffing a car to get all the dust and residue, well you almost dont have to even touch then paint then. So to me any tyoe of foaming device is a good investment. Agian, I say that with all do respect, not tryig to start anything.

No not a necessity! But fun to have and does help a little. If you are doing a black car it is much more important to use 2 bucket method (w/grit guards),deionized water for rinses and a leaf blower to minimize semi-dry contact with paint. Here are some pictures (sun shots) of my personal (black) car, while I do have a foam cannon I hardly ever use it on my personal car. Also a good quality sheepskin mitt and shampoo for black is much more important. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/27696-just-few-pictures.html