PDA

View Full Version : Any Nomad tips?

Pages : [1] 2

ROMEO
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, I just got me a Nomad 18v since I live in an apartment with no access to running water by the cars, so this was the solution I came up with.

Are there any tips on how to maximize the use of this machine? It has some power for it been battery operated, sure thing it is enough to maintain my Jeep, and my wife's toyota ( Not a fan of toyotas my self, but for some reason that is what she wanted, even tho I took her to the cadilac dealer and told her to pick anything... She ended up taking a loaded RAV4...)

BobbyG
12-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I've never even heard of it but just watched a video on it and it looks pretty slick. The video I watched shows it being used on ATV's and smaller stuff. I don't know how much water / solution it holds but if additional can be brought in a separate container it could do more.

ROMEO
12-03-2010, 01:31 PM
It holds 3.5 galons of water, and they say to only use water in it, there are a couple of videos out there, I saw one where they were washing a Mini.

Chris Thomas
12-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Use it for wheels, wells, and jambs, then ONR the body.

longdx
12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
The Nomad 18V is a pretty cool little tool. I know the videos that show this in action (it was demonstrated on another detailer's website). I would recommend either having a small bucket of soap/hot water. Be methodical (top down). Spray, then apply soap/ONR, then rinse. I am not sure, but I think you could get away by using an ONR solution with it. It is ideal for a quick wash or maintenance wash.

I had to laugh at your wife's decision on the Rav4. I bought an 2009 Rav4 base (with mall wheel drive). I love it for its practicality and exemplary fuel economy. While not a traditional 4wd (like a Jeep), it is pretty adept in bad weather.

ROMEO
12-03-2010, 04:15 PM
The Nomad 18V is a pretty cool little tool. I know the videos that show this in action (it was demonstrated on another detailer's website). I would recommend either having a small bucket of soap/hot water. Be methodical (top down). Spray, then apply soap/ONR, then rinse. I am not sure, but I think you could get away by using an ONR solution with it. It is ideal for a quick wash or maintenance wash.

I had to laugh at your wife's decision on the Rav4. I bought an 2009 Rav4 base (with mall wheel drive). I love it for its practicality and exemplary fuel economy. While not a traditional 4wd (like a Jeep), it is pretty adept in bad weather.

Yeah, my plan for the nomad is to use it to remove the salt from the cars, and use ONR after, hopefully it works out good.

Honestly, my main problem with the RAV4 is the how much room it has for the driver, I'm 6' tall, and weigh 250lbs... It is very tight for me. We went with the v6, and when I floor it, it goes!! Also, it doesn't help that 3 weeks after we got it Toyota came out with the recall for the gas pedals, I was about to bring it back. But hey, at least she is happy with it, and likes it...

conthedon
02-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey guys, I just got me a Nomad 18v since I live in an apartment with no access to running water by the cars, so this was the solution I came up with.

Are there any tips on how to maximize the use of this machine? It has some power for it been battery operated, sure thing it is enough to maintain my Jeep, and my wife's toyota ( Not a fan of toyotas my self, but for some reason that is what she wanted, even tho I took her to the cadilac dealer and told her to pick anything... She ended up taking a loaded RAV4...)

I have used nomad for about a year as I live in nyc (an apartment as well). This is my method:

I fill two buckets up one is 2.5 gallon bucket which I fill 2 gallon of water (warm water on chilly days) with with 1.5 oz of ONR solution.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with grit guard with water (again warm water on chilly days- keeps hands warm as well).

Then if some reason I haven't washed my car in a couple weeks (i tend to do weekly) and it gets caked on with dirt etc. I spray spots/areas that are bad with ONR mix in a spray bottle and spray the car down (also keep a ONR spray bottle in trunk just in case). If the car is extremely dirty in worst case scenario I would put the ONR mix in a bug pump sprayer I have and spray the car down that way as well (before using the nomad and hosing the car down with water).

I use a dedicated wheel cleaner, brush the tires and wheels, hose off (hosing all 4 tires uses about a tank)

Then with a 6 gallon blue container that I have already put additional water in, refill nomad.

I hose the car down, then use a grout sponge for the ONR mixed bucket.

Dry

Spray ONR instant detailer, and final wipe down.

:detailer:

poweraid
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
anyone know who the nomad pressure washer is made by, carried by, serviced, sold by? i am coming up with dirt devil or hoover. i am trying to find a replacement 18v battery for this unit and/or to have a spare. it says battery will last through like 3 tank fulls and if need more water than that then what? those who have this nomad, is this battery holding up its charge? the battery is only gonna last so long and where gonna get another battery? i have found replacement nozzels but no batteries.

ROMEO
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
anyone know who the nomad pressure washer is made by, carried by, serviced, sold by? i am coming up with dirt devil or hoover. i am trying to find a replacement 18v battery for this unit and/or to have a spare. it says battery will last through like 3 tank fulls and if need more water than that then what? those who have this nomad, is this battery holding up its charge? the battery is only gonna last so long and where gonna get another battery? i have found replacement nozzels but no batteries.

My battery still holding good, but then again, I have not been able to use it that much, I had a problem with the nozzle and I had it replaced, I have the company's number on an email somewhere, I will look it up...

But most people are getting RYOBY batteries for it... Also, remember that you also have the option to use the 12v cable that plugs to the cig lighter in the car...

EDIT:

Contact Us - Nomad 18 Volt Cordless Portable Power Cleaner - Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Other Outdoor Sports and Extreme Sports (http://www.nomad2go.com/contact-us.aspx)

AM and 7PM EST Monday through Friday at 800-321-1134

And I just did some research and found 2 other forums where they do say that the nomad uses an 18v RYOBY battery, so you might want to check your local Home Depot for that...

conthedon
04-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Here you go: I previously bought a battery from betty mills (I have a spare battery). Nomad is a hoover product, I have never had an issue with battery running out on me and I have used up to 9.5 gallons of water. Also for future reference you can look in your manual and there is a number you call for direct replacement parts from the company.

BettyMills: 18 Volt Battery for Nomad - Hoover MN100 (http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Hoover/HOVMN100.html?source=froogle2&utm_source=froogle2&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=parts&utm_keyword=HOVMN100&utm_content=Jansan)

or

Nomad Power Washer 18 Volt Replacement Battery MN100 (http://www.discountcleaningproducts.com/Nomad-Power-Washer-18-Volt-Replacement-B-p/mn100.htm)

fishnugget
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I got it and would say not to expect miracles.

I think this would be ideal for those who don't have access to running water and live in an apartment. You can wash your car with it, its very capable just at a slower rate. The pressure is not the greatest but it will get the job done.

ROMEO
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
I got it and would say not to expect miracles.

I think this would be ideal for those who don't have access to running water and live in an apartment. You can wash your car with it, its very capable just at a slower rate. The pressure is not the greatest but it will get the job done.

IS not meant to be a "pressure washer" is for portable used, as if you are camping, or like you said, someone who lives in an apartment and has no access to a hose... I have used to wash my Jeep Commander with no problem at all... I even used it after a 4 day trip to Vermont, and by the time I got back, all you could see was salt on my truck...

conthedon
04-27-2011, 11:17 PM
IS not meant to be a "pressure washer" is for portable used, as if you are camping, or like you said, someone who lives in an apartment and has no access to a hose... I have used to wash my Jeep Commander with no problem at all... I even used it after a 4 day trip to Vermont, and by the time I got back, all you could see was salt on my truck...

exactly, by no means does it pack a punch near what a household hose would output, but it does shoot out a strong stream that is by far good enough to wash your car and get off dirt effectively from whatever it may be. I live in nyc apartment so it is perfect.

poweraid
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
good info guys . yup I'm in an apartment . I do use onr but sometimes I just wanna do a reg wash and not have to run to car wash bay . i just wanted to make sure I can get an extra battery before I maybe buy this . I have found it for as low as 160. might be worth it . I could use for many other things too .

conthedon
04-27-2011, 11:26 PM
good info guys . yup I'm in an apartment . I do use onr but sometimes I just wanna do a reg wash and not have to run to car wash bay . i just wanted to make sure I can get an extra battery before I maybe buy this . I have found it for as low as 160. might be worth it . I could use for many other things too .

I def recommend it, this was a lifesaver/money saver (as I would get it cleaned every week) as when I got it over a year ago, I did my own car washes and stopped having anxiety from auto car washes and their awful drying/swirl inducing practices lol. What I bought also was a 6 gallon jug for maybe 10 bucks online and bring it along to refill the nomad.