PDA

View Full Version : Surf City Barrier Reef, Not a fan!

Pages : [1] 2

bodavenport
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I like to try new stuff, my wife really gets aggravated when the boxes show up on the porch but oh well I guess she still loves me. i decided tos give the barrier reef wax a try on my daily driver a black 2004 F150 FX4. I stripped off the old (opti seal plus opti spray wax) and applied the surf city stuff. Man it was a pain to remove and I am still finding spots where it just magically reappears day or weeks later. I hate this stuff if I still had my receipt I would sure take advantage of the return policy. Any one else use this stuff and have any better luck? The weather has turned cold here and now I have to clay and strip the truck and erdo the optimum products in the cold. sucks but live and learn.

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't know why you didn't just top what you had with the Surf City, for that matter, why do you want to strip it now? The Opti-Seal is supposed to go over anything and so should the OCW.

As far as the "magically reappearing" I have had that with other products, notably the original version of EX-P (I have never tried the newer version).

bodavenport
12-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Wanted to see how it would perform completely on it's own, not as a topper. I always have people ask me what is a quality readily available wax or sealant that works well and is of a good quality so periodically I will try some stuff I can get at pep-boys or wally world but usually I have to recommend an online product as there just does not seem to be high quality high gloss good proeetctive products readily available, Duragloss being the exception that comes to mind along with a few of the Megs consumer line stuff

Scott DeBrun
12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I use the barrier reef as a topper, of course when weather permitting I wax my truck often. I've never had a problem with removal and it does haze pretty quick. Did you leave it on too long? I don't know what to tell you except I've never had a problem with it.

Flash Gordon
12-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Try appying a thinner coat and do a section at a time

bodavenport
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Put it on the whole truck and then began to remove it. Maybe to thick of a layer don't know but like a lot of products different people get different results. Just did not work out for me, if no one else has had issues maybe it was just me.

Devo242
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I use it every once in awhile as a sealant topper when I want a liquid wax and have never had an issue with removal, this is with multiple combination of vehicles and sealants.

Sounds like the product was sweating? I've seen it before occasionally but it is not unique to this wax, has more to do with over application in my experience.

According to the info on the back of all the Surf City products if you're not happy with it and want your money back simply contact their customer service and they'll refund you.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I've never had a problem with it.

:iagree:

Scott DeBrun
12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Flash is right just do one section at a time because it does haze quickly.

ScottB
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I find hits in the line (Grime Destroyer, Beyond Black) but didnt find the waxes stood out. Why not move to something more like Pinnacle Souveran Paste if you like liquid waxes ??

bodavenport
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I have heard good things about some of their products so decided to try this one. I will be using some other products in the future. I am going to chalk this one up to just not for me. It seems many have been satisfied with this in the past and the company has a good reputation well earned it would seem so I am just saying that for me, I am not a big fan. I have ran into people who are not a opt. spay wax fan which I cannot understand.

BobbyG
12-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Like you I love trying new products and the very reason why I've spent well over $3000.00 at Autogeek since the beginning of 2010...Do not tell my wife!! :laughing:

PS..............She already knows, she accepts them from the UPS guy when they arrive...and I do this as sort of hobby! :laughing:

Today I feel I have amassed some of the finest detailing products available today. I fell it's important to occasionally try something new but right now I'm pretty much satisfied with what I have....:props:

Kurt_s
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Like you I love trying new products and the very reason why I've spent well over $3000.00 at Autogeek since the beginning of 2010...Do not tell my wife!! :laughing:

Bobby, I love reading your comments and opinions as they come with such experience and knowledge of products. Now I know why. :props:

My wife would kill me if I bought $3000 of detailing product since the beginning of 2010. Then again, thank goodness she doesn't know how much I have spent on stuff this year. :laughing:

Scott DeBrun
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Some waxes just don't do it for some people. Griots best of show is one that I have tried and just don't like working with it. It looks great but compared to barrier reef it's just not worth it. But that's just me I'm sure there are alot of Griots fans here so it all comes down to personal preference.

BobbyG
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Bobby, I love reading your comments and opinions as they come with such experience and knowledge of products. Now I know why. :props:

My wife would kill me if I bought $3000 of detailing product since the beginning of 2010. Then again, thank goodness she doesn't know how much I have spent on stuff this year. :laughing:

Hey Kurt,

Sometimes I look at all these supplies and just shake my head....man!!

I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it and here as well. I've met allot of great folks here and have really raised my bar of detailing perfection because of it.

All of our vehicles now receive nothing but the best and it does show. When I'm finished detailing my wifes car she is absolutely amazed at the level of perfection.

Like I said, I listen, ask questions, read, practice, and report or review.... :props: