PDA

View Full Version : Need adviceon on pads

Pages : [1] 2

JRH
12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I plan on getting the Flex 3401 either for Christmas or right after. I have been reading this forum exhaustively and am still a bit confused by what types of pad I should buy initially. I understand from readings several different threads that pads come down to a personal choice, however, I would still like some advice on what to get initially.

Right now, I use strictly Wolfgang products and already have TSR 3.0, Finishing glaze, Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer, and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Fuzion arrived today (thanks AG for the good deal on Tuesday :xyxthumbs:)

I drive a silver 2009 335i, so the paint is in good condition. Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

tuscarora dave
12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Just make sure whatever pads you get are at least 6 inches in diameter because the backing plate on the Flex 3401 is 5.5 inches in diameter and you will want something a little larger so that the backing plate doesn't make contact with the paint that you will be polishing. I tried the 6.5" LC flat pads and they work nicely on that machine.

350z00m
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
i have the PCXp and the Flex now... i've been using LC CSS pads and i have not been happy with them... i have some HT low profile pads i'm try but with the flex.... and try some kompressor pads. but now i'll only be using the PC in tight spaces.
but alot of people prefer the flats( reg or HT), kompressor and Surbuff pads.

Jay

JRH
12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate it.

05xrunner
12-02-2010, 11:00 PM
i have the PCXp and the Flex now... i've been using LC CSS pads and i have not been happy with them... i have some HT low profile pads i'm try but with the flex.... and try some kompressor pads. but now i'll only be using the PC in tight spaces.
but alot of people prefer the flats( reg or HT), kompressor and Surbuff pads.

Jay
isnt the low profile the 5.5" that fits on the flex but you have to be very careful. Since it doesnt protect the edges of the backing plate like a larger pad would.

350z00m
12-03-2010, 04:17 PM
isnt the low profile the 5.5" that fits on the flex but you have to be very careful. Since it doesnt protect the edges of the backing plate like a larger pad would.

yes.. i cant justify throwing them out or anything... and i will be using the Flex for majority of the work and PC with 4in BP... i just have to be very carful.... unless somone wants to swap with me for my 5.5in HT low pro pads for bigger pads..

Jay

bill57
12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Flat and thick, what ever color or size, IMHO.

SlamMan
12-04-2010, 01:59 AM
I just picked up the Flex orbital and went with Kompressor pads myself. I haven't tried them yet though. I searched the forums a bunch and most seemed to very happy with the flat pads. The Kompressor and Hydrotech also seemed to get almost nothing but positive reviews. The CCS seemed to be the least favorite for the 3401.

tuscarora dave
12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
yes.. i cant justify throwing them out or anything... and i will be using the Flex for majority of the work and PC with 4in BP... i just have to be very carful.... unless somone wants to swap with me for my 5.5in HT low pro pads for bigger pads..

Jay
Not trying to be a jerk but the price of a few pads is a very small price to pay compared to the price of having a panel repainted. I don't know if you plan on making money detailing or not but the bad word of mouth from a potential mistake like that will lose you more money than the cost of the repaint. Just a few things to consider.:)

slickooz
12-04-2010, 03:19 AM
:iagree: Pads are like 35 bucks for 6. Repainting a whole panel will cost anywhere from 400-1k. I rather play it safe and spend 30ish and do it the right way.

Can't you use the 5.5 inch pads with 4 inch back plate?

WRAPT C5Z06
12-04-2010, 06:17 AM
6.5" LC Flat pads work great with the Flex 3401. I think the HT"s are a bit overrated. Kompressor pads are more geared for rotaries.

BobbyG
12-04-2010, 07:06 AM
6.5" LC Flat pads work great with the Flex 3401. I think the HT"s are a bit overrated. Kompressor pads are more geared for rotaries.

You must have just read my mind! :laughing:

WRAPT C5Z06
12-04-2010, 07:11 AM
You must have just read my mind! :laughing:
LOL! You feel the HT's are a bit overrated, too? I'm not saying they're bad, don't get me wrong.

Mike Phillips
12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
The foam used for the CCS and Flat Pads is open cell and the foam used for the Hydro-Tech pads is closed cell so they have a very different feel to them both physically when you hold one in your hand and when buffing. Because of the difference, it really does come down to personal preference which you can really only determine after using both styles for a while.

Probably a good first time order would include both some Lake Country Flat or CCS pads and then the Cyan, Tangerine and Crimson Hydro-Tech Pads. Then just use them and see which ones you like best.

:)

350z00m
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
i guess i'll buy some LC flats for the Flex...u guys are making me nervous with the 5.5in pads with flex lol..