PDA

View Full Version : Help with Menz Final Finish Polish

Pages : [1] 2

scrib13
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I will be polishing my vette for the first time, the paint is in very good condition, just trying to bring it to the next level. What color pad should I use, I have the Ht low profile pads, so do I use the orange or the red, will be applying Menz Powerlock and then topping with SSII. I will certainly use the red pad for the sealant and either the red or by hand for the SSII.

Let me know what you think, thanks Scott

Dr Oldz
12-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I use a grey pad...not that it really answers your question tho. The red is a finishing pad so I would try that first!

Type[R]+
12-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah, try the red first.
Use the red pad to apply the powerlock too! I love that sealant!

ROMEO
12-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I have never work on a vette, but from what I have seen here their paint is fairly hard, I think I would try power finish on white and keep the red for the power lock and SSII.

I guess the mail thing to remember here is, do a test spot.

Rsurfer
12-02-2010, 12:44 AM
I will be polishing my vette for the first time, the paint is in very good condition, just trying to bring it to the next level. What color pad should I use, I have the Ht low profile pads, so do I use the orange or the red, will be applying Menz Powerlock and then topping with SSII. I will certainly use the red pad for the sealant and either the red or by hand for the SSII.

Let me know what you think, thanks Scott
What Menz polish are you using? Is it Final Finish (PO85U) or Final Polish (85RD) ? The HT crimson (red) pad is used to apply waxes/sealants and glazes. It has no cut. The Tangerine (orange) is a polishing pad and the Cyan (blue) is a cutting pad. Alway's use the least aggressive pad and polish first. Do a small section with the tangerine and then move up if necessary. Final Finish has a cut of 2.5 and Final Polish has a cut of 1. The higher the number the more cut.

Type[R]+
12-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Either way they are finishing polishes. You never tried a finishing polish with a pad with no cut? You are missing out... Big time!

Rsurfer
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
+;386660']Either way they are finishing polishes. You never tried a finishing polish with a pad with no cut? You are missing out... Big time!
I've used a blue and red pad many times with good results. How can you recommend a finishing pad with no cut without knowing the condition of the OP's paint plus it's a Vett.

Type[R]+
12-02-2010, 01:40 AM
I've used a blue and red pad many times with good results. How can you recommend a finishing pad with no cut without knowing the condition of the OP's paint plus it's a Vett.He said paint in very good condition. ;)

We are on a detailing forum and you can bet that we don't wash our cars with steel wool.... and we say what we mean....

Besides, least agressive combo first. :xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
12-02-2010, 01:50 AM
+;386663']He said paint in very good condition. ;)

We are on a detailing forum and you can bet that we don't wash our cars with steel wool.... and we say what we mean....

If so, why not just use a paint cleaner and seal/wax.

Type[R]+
12-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Read his post. He wants to "take it to the next level".
Therefore finishing polish on a pad with no cut will give the best gloss possible.

Fly bye
12-02-2010, 05:56 AM
+;386663']

He said paint in very good condition. ;)

I agree with utilizing the least aggressive method first, as Rsurfer eluded to in his post, but I'm curious as to what a polishing pad has to do with steel wool http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/scratchhead.gif

As M.P. says, the degree, or amount of abrasiveness is not dictated by a compound, or a pad alone, but what type of machine is being used, how much pressure is being used, ect. The op did not state what type of machine he is using. Furthermore, if there are any swirls on this Vette, a finishing pad with a finishing polish will do absolutely nothing to it.

Rsurfer recommended the op to start with the least aggressive method, the polishing pad. This is the correct procedure. This will be the op's first paint polish, so it is safe to assume, (no offense to the op) that he does not have a lot of experience, but he wants to learn, and is why he's here. The op want's to take his Vette (known for having hard paint) to the next level. How do you know that the finish is not swirl free???

None of us can precisely advise the op as to how to proceed without seeing the paint up close. While it is true that you should always use the least aggressive method first, there are times that I know a non aggressive method will do absolutely nothing, and that come from experience.

I concur with Rsurfer on recommending a polishing pad to the op for polishing his Vette.

You make it seem as if the op is going to take 80 grit sandpaper (dry) to his paint :laughing:

Type[R]+
12-02-2010, 06:31 AM
No, you guys are treating it like he's an idiot,

we are on a detailing forum, hence we would not use steel wool to wash our cars. This means that the op said his paint is in very good condition, again, we are on a detailing forum, so I believe him.

So, would you recommend a compound to someone who just wanted a finishing polish, just because he asked a question on a forum, therefore he must be an idiot?

Least agressive first is not a polishing pad.....

BobbyG
12-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Keep in mind that Scott has Hydro-Tech pads and is looking for a combination of pad and polish to try "to bring it to the next level".

The Vette in the avatar is a C6 series, the latest generation, which means it relatively new. While Scott hasn't actually stated it I suspect the finish is in pristine condition. The clears on these cars are reported to be very hard.

First - For the first polish step I'd recommend Menzerna Power Finish PO203 and the blue Hydro-Tech pad

Second - Now give Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA a try on the orange Hydro-Tech pad.

Third - Menzerna Final Polish PO85RD is about the finest polish out there and this combined with the orange Hydro-Tech pad or maybe the red pad with leave the finish with an incredible shine.

Menzerna Power Lock sealant is my personal favorite. Apply this using a red pad following the manufactures guidelines.

Pinnacle Signature Series ll is a great way to complete the detail.

Fly bye
12-02-2010, 07:26 AM
+;386681']

we would not use steel wool to wash our cars.

It's the next Mike Phillips :rolleyes:

Mike Phillips
12-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I will be polishing my vette for the first time, the paint is in very good condition, just trying to bring it to the next level.

Hi Scott,

Since this is your initial first time with your Corvette and the paint is in good condition, then just take your time with it and have some fun.

If you want to do some light polishing, then use the Tangerine HT Pad with a light polish. Work section by section like we demonstrated in the class. After you work each section, wipe the residue off and move on to a new section.

What color pad should I use, I have the Ht low profile pads, so do I use the orange or the red, will be applying Menz Powerlock

If you don't want to polish the paint first, then after washing or wiping the paint clean, use the Crimson HT Pad on the 4.0 to 5.0 speed setting and lay down a nice, even thin coating of the Menzerna Powerlock.

The Menzerna Powerlock spreads out really easy, a thin coating dries fairly quickly and wipe-off is a breeze.

and then topping with SSII.

I personally would apply this by machine using a clean, Crimson HT Pad as the even pressure provided by a machine powered buffing pad cannot be equaled by hand application but if you want to apply by hand then simply use a clean, soft foam or microfiber applicator pad.

Pinnacle Signature Series II (http://www.autogeek.net/pisisepawax.html) is a Wipe-on, Wipe-off Wax, so no need to let it dry, simply apply a thin coating, work in gently like skin lotion to dry skin, then wipe off using your softest microfiber polishing towels.

I will certainly use the red pad for the sealant and either the red or by hand for the SSII.

Kind of sounds like you answered you own question but it never hurts to get more opinions and that's what a good forum is about... friends chiming in and seeing friends through to success...

:)