PDA

View Full Version : Hello from PA, IN, NY...

Pages : [1] 2

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey all! I'm 25 and hopped around the last few years, hence multiple states. I am a golf coach and work with student-athletes in academic advising. I've been reading this forum for years and have taken the step forward to the detailing realm. I have been hand detailing for a few years now, but realized I can only achieve a certain level with elbow grease...

I asked my mother-in-law for a GG DA 6" polisher for Christmas!! I think she got me the kit that comes with the pads and some other supplies.

I am not as detailed as you all and have used only auto center products (Megs, Turtle, and ScratchX). I don't have fancy polishers, tire cleaners, spray waxes, bucket systems, etc. I hope one day I can advance my hobby and use it to make some money some day, but I think I made a step with the polisher!

I have a 2003 S10 and 08 Dodge Caliber my wife drives. The red S10 is in decent shape from the previous owner and I want to make it last while I can.

I plan on doing an intense detail when weather permits. Would love some opinions on products to use for my first detail with a machine polisher and process. My plan:

Wash - Megs
Clay- Megs
Wash- Megs
Swirl remover- WG or Megs compuond?
Then m205/105?
Seal with WG
LSP- ???

I do not have a great budget but would love to hear what you all have great results with. I did a lot of researching in the forums but would like some more suggestions:props:

Tires I will use basic wheel cleaner and tire gel.

Thanks for reading!!!!Feed back please

Here are some detailing shots by hand:

Mike Phillips
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey all!

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

I plan on doing an intense detail when weather permits. Would love some opinions on products to use for my first detail with a machine polisher and process. My plan:

Swirl remover- WG or Megs compound?
Then m205/105?

Meguiar's M105 and/or Ultimate Compound are both "True" compounds and one or the other should be in everyone's detailing arsenal as they work great by hand or machine and sometimes you need an aggressive compound that can be used by hand that won't leave scratches in the paint after use...

As for polishes and swirl mark removers, then M205 is great for shallow swirls and scratches and the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a medium strength swirl remover, in order of aggressiveness it would go like this,

M105/Ultimate Compound
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
M205

Those three products will probably tackle just about detailing project anyone will ever work on.

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is less aggressive than the M205 and from experience and testing on black paint will finish out nicer on more paint systems than M205

So a "great" collection would be the Meguiar's Tag Team, (M105 or UC and M205), and the Wolfgang Twins, which are Total Swirl Remover 3.0 and Finishing Glaze 3.0

:)

BobbyG
12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
:welcome: To Autogeek!

I've given you a few choices

Wash - Megs

Clay- Megs

Wash- Megs

Swirl remover - Wolfgang Twins is the swirls are relatively minor

Wolfgang 8 oz. Swirl Remover Combo, Wolfgang polishes, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html)

Then m205/105?

M105 is a compound and M205 is a polish. Both are great products but if used would replace the Wolfgang Twins I recommended above. Both are for paint correction and you'll only need one.

Meguiars Swirl-Free Kit for Machine Application, Meguiars Swirl Remover Kit, Meguiars Machine Polishing Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-swirl-remover-kit.html)

Seal with Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0

LAP - Collinite 845 or Pinnacle Signature Series ll

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys!

Mike I watch your videos all the time at work and they keep me very motivated!

Ok I think I get what you all are saying so either use the WG twins or the 105/205 combo.

Any suggestions on faded plastic on my grill?

jpegs13
12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I love this stuff for all black surface restoration.
Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html)

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I love this stuff for all black surface restoration.
Black WOW Exterior Trim Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html)

what steps did you take for using the product?

jpegs13
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
what steps did you take for using the product?

Wash, dry and apply. Easy

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Is it safe to use the combo on a 03 S10? Or is it too aggressive? I have light scratches and swirls that most likely hve been there since the car rolled off the lot.

350z00m
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
which combo? always work with the least aggressive combo(pad/Polish/compound) first then work your way up to the more aggressive products....and always do a test spot first so u dont kick yourself in the end when u finnish the whole car and your not haoppy with the end results..... i know i love run-on sentences :dblthumb2:

Jay

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
okay ya def doing a test spot. I think am doing the WG twins since it seems to be middle of the line in abrasiveness. I am excited to use the Griots!!!

tuscarora dave
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome from Central PA. The combos mentioned above will be safe on your S-10, just check your progress after every few section passes with the M-105 because it is a pretty efficient product.

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
also for those who dont foam gun wash what is a safe wash mitt to use on the car?

viktor928
12-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Here is a good combination : Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula , M105 , M205 , Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. I am also new in detailing .My first buffer is PC 7424XP and i got the Makita 7229 with 5.5" CCS with Flat pads.

Mazda.Mark
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Here is a good combination : Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine New Formula , M105 , M205 , Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger. I am also new in detailing .My first buffer is PC 7424XP and i got the Makita 7229 with 5.5" CCS with Flat pads.

Thanks man. Nice your from OC i vacationed there for 14 years. Love that place.

Mazda.Mark
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey I been reading the forums (like always) and not working and learning more about using Mineral Spirits before beginning polishing? Is this a highly recommended step?

New process:

Wash
Clay
Wash
Mineral Spirit?
Meg UC
Meg 205
WG Sealant
SS II

How's that look now?

Using a GG 6" ROP
2 LC Orange Pads