PDA

View Full Version : convertible top care

dad07
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
what are you using for convertible tops? #1 for cleaning and #2 for protecting. Vinyl and fabric. any help will be appreciated!:xyxthumbs:

Meghan
11-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Raggtopp all the way!!!

arenared
11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
For fabric:

Cleaner: Tequipment Convertible Top Wash Shampoo and Cleaner
Protectant: Reggtopp Fabric Convertible Top Protectant, Aerosol
Vinly Window: Tequipment Polyglass Window Cleaner (Intensive) and Plexus (Regular)

The Raggtopp is a must. Vastly better than 303, Tequipment, and other stuff I've tried. The Tequipment shampoo is very gentle but not a must-have. The Polyglass Cleaner is excellent at removing oxidation. It is made by some other company, but I forget. Actually, probably all the Porsche Tequipment stuff is made by someone else, usually P21S. Plexus is very good.

jonn127
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I've yet to find anything that can't be cleaned by Optimum Power Clean

ScottB
11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Ragtopp or 303, just grab the kit that corresponds with the roof type (FABRIC or VINYL)

Old Tiger
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
When I had a Ragtop, I used Ragtop. Top looked great but over time stopped beading water. I would use 303 Fabric Guard after using their Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner if I had a Ragtop again. On this one I get to use UPGP with an occasional nuba topper, currently Pinnacle Sig II.

vdubbeet
12-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Just purchased an '06 VW Beetle Convertible and before reading this thread purchased the 303 fabric convertible top cleaner and protectant. Should I return what I purchased or just use it for now then when it needs cleaning and protection again use something else? Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm a noob to detailing although I've been doing it using only elbow grease and various products since I was a kid, now I'm close to 50 and a female. This site has provided so much valuable information.

CEE DOG
12-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Just purchased an '06 VW Beetle Convertible and before reading this thread purchased the 303 fabric convertible top cleaner and protectant. Should I return what I purchased or just use it for now then when it needs cleaning and protection again use something else? Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm a noob to detailing although I've been doing it using only elbow grease and various products since I was a kid, now I'm close to 50 and a female. This site has provided so much valuable information.

Absolutely not! I have a fabric top... I used the Raggtop first and it worked great. Be careful if you use the aerosol version with any wind whatsoever... It can land on the paint all the way on the other side of the car easily. Then I tried the 303 and I think it is better then the Raggtop. When I spray my top with the hose it will rinse off the top in beads for awhile before allowing the top to even become wet. Also, it really seems to leave my material darker looking. I wish you were standing right here so I could show you up close. Anyway, either one works good and the key is to apply 3 thin layers. Will last forever like this.
Method:
1.-Clean top with proper cleaner and a gentle brush
2.-Allow to completely dry in the sun. When you think its dry let it dry awhile more
3.-Depending on the product you use, wind condtions, etc. you should either cover the painted areas or keep a waterless wash/mf towels handy.
4.-Apply a very thin coat evenly across the entire surface making sure to apply to the stitching and seams as well.
5.-Allow to completely dry in the sun. (If you applied it very thin this should only take 15-30 minutes if you are in the sun)
6.-Repeat step 4 and 5
7.-Repeat step 4 and 5

Then just wash on a decent schedule with your regular car wash. To clean my top (after rinsing) I apply my Ultima paint guard wash water to the top and gently brush it with a big tampioca brush. Then just rinse it clean.

By the way, Welcome to Autogeek!! Let us know what you think of the 303 after you try it.

Joe in PA
12-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I use the Ragtopp cleaner and protectant on my 09 Mustang's cloth top and pretty much follow the steps outlined by CEE DOG above. I do use the non-aerosol version of the protectant now that is readily available and find it much easier to control over spray. Haven't really used anything else for comparison but the ragtopp products are working well for me so far.

WEST SIDE
12-11-2010, 01:58 AM
I agree with CEE Dog about 303 protectant i've used the same on my fabric top and it really is amazing the way it sheds water,i tried to use ONR on it when i was washing the car but i couldn't get the top wet enough the water just rolled off.

vdubbeet
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Absolutely not! I have a fabric top... I used the Raggtop first and it worked great. Be careful if you use the aerosol version with any wind whatsoever... It can land on the paint all the way on the other side of the car easily. Then I tried the 303 and I think it is better then the Raggtop. When I spray my top with the hose it will rinse off the top in beads for awhile before allowing the top to even become wet. Also, it really seems to leave my material darker looking. I wish you were standing right here so I could show you up close. Anyway, either one works good and the key is to apply 3 thin layers. Will last forever like this.
Method:
1.-Clean top with proper cleaner and a gentle brush
2.-Allow to completely dry in the sun. When you think its dry let it dry awhile more
3.-Depending on the product you use, wind condtions, etc. you should either cover the painted areas or keep a waterless wash/mf towels handy.
4.-Apply a very thin coat evenly across the entire surface making sure to apply to the stitching and seams as well.
5.-Allow to completely dry in the sun. (If you applied it very thin this should only take 15-30 minutes if you are in the sun)
6.-Repeat step 4 and 5
7.-Repeat step 4 and 5

Then just wash on a decent schedule with your regular car wash. To clean my top (after rinsing) I apply my Ultima paint guard wash water to the top and gently brush it with a big tampioca brush. Then just rinse it clean.

By the way, Welcome to Autogeek!! Let us know what you think of the 303 after you try it.
I purchased the 303 convertible products a few weeks ago when I brought home my new to me Beetle. The weather has not been good enough outside (it's been between 0 and 25 degrees) to do the cleaning and protecting however, I plan to go to a local do it yourself car wash to wash car and clean roof then bring the vehicle home to thoroughly dry then protect. Since sun and temperatures aren't on my side, I have to allow the top to dry in my garage which is about 25 degrees warmer than it is outside plus I can turn on my parabolic heater which will warm it up even more. I plan to let it dry at least 1 day before applying protectant. Do you think this process will work or should I wait until spring? Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips
12-20-2010, 09:26 AM
This vidoe is with RaggTopp, but I'm pretty sure the principals involved will be similar if not the same...

Show Car Garage Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/24317-video-how-clean-protect-cloth-convertible-top.html)

:)

CEE DOG
12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I have to allow the top to dry in my garage which is about 25 degrees warmer than it is outside plus I can turn on my parabolic heater which will warm it up even more. I plan to let it dry at least 1 day before applying protectant. Do you think this process will work or should I wait until spring? Thanks in advance!

vdubbeet, I think that if you dry the top with ww towels or something that will suck the water out. Then you leave another dry mf towel on the top for about 20 minutes to soak up a little more. Then you give it 24 hours to dry in the garage it should be ok. I don't have this type of heater but I'm assuming it will leave the air with a low level of humidty? If the garage is above 55% humidity then I would allow the top to dry longer. If you have a fan to circulate the air on the top that will help as well.

If I did this and I wasn't comfortable with the top being completely dry then I would wait.